Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffing a 2312 into a L200

Stuffing a 2312 into a L200

In a nutshell, The 2312 / 2420 ( or H92 / LE85 ) will not fit into the venerable L200 cabinet so an access must be made on the rear panel to allow the driver to stick through. The 2420 / LE185 and the later 2425/26/27 are all 5.75" diameter

SINCE this an angled cabinet, the hole size, centering and angle precludes any simple "jigsaw" approach unless a significant amount of material is removed. The goal here was to make it "doable" with basic power tools and supplies available from the local home depot or next-door neighbor who is in general construction.

If carefully done, the gap around the driver is an even 1/8 inch on the inside AND outside... I did this in less than 30 minutes on the living room floor so no special "shop time" is needed.

Tools required:

1/2" chuck GOOD electric drill ( I used a Milwaukee hole shooter )
    6" holesaw ( standard ceiling light fixture diameter )
    6" or longer 1/4 diameter drill bit for the hole saw pilot.

In order to find that magical location for the pilot hole, I mounted a 2312 horn into the cabinet, installed an 18" long 1/4 diameter bit into the drill and used a plastic bottlecap to center it deep in the horn. Using a straight edge on the horn face between 2 mounting holes I drilled through the back panel.

This worked out well and the exact measurement for the pilot hole ( 11 7/8" ) is shown in one picture ( and is of course centered ).

NOTE that the hole goes into the cabinet at an UPWARD ANGLE that is the same as the cabinet sides when viewed from the back.

The Hole saw was then used ( note the angle that it cuts into the cabinet ) to make the hole. This is where the extra long pilot bit is REQUIRED!

After vacuuming out the debris and trimming the insulation, the horn was mounted and then the driver. Unfortunately the horn mounting flange is *just* a little larger than 6 inches otherwise the whole assembly could be mounted from the rear.

Now as you can see by the measurement, the top edge of the driver protrudes 1 3/8" so a cap needs to be placed over the whole driver OR a rubber / neoprene thin hose could be jammed into the 1/8 gap around the driver. Do not use silicone or the heritage members will hunt you down and noodle whip.

sub
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nice idea on the bottle cap!

My idea was to slip a piece of stiff paper around the driver on the short horn, slide it to the back wall, trace it, then measure the center. I think I like your way better. I would just put a PVC cap over the driver back.

VERY cool!! Not sure when I'm going to bore mine out tho ... but the technique is quite neat!

But ... what kind of Ale comes with a bottle cap??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

A 2312 TEASE!

I am ALL over this!!!

I'll take 2 2312's, please!

If only I could find some.

scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    A 2312 TEASE!

I am ALL over this!!!

I'll take 2 2312's, please!

If only I could find some.

scotty.

Still an hour to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-JBL-2312-HO...QQcmdZViewItem

L200 2312 back chamber

When power tools are concerned, Mountain Dew is the strongest. Besides, the metal ones scratch...

LATER it's the double india pale ale ( 10% )

Anyways, here is the back chamber initial construction. 8 X 8 X 1/4 oak plywood and 1 5/8 X 3/4 pine make an effective enclosure. Later we sand, paint, install T-nuts on cab and install.

A 6" PVC cap wouldn't cover the driver because it would have to be angle cut and would become not deep enough.

And then there isn't enough "meat" around the driver for the cap to attach. Remember this IS 30 year old particleboard....

The pine and gasket material was less than 5 bucks at home depot.

It's also hard to work when the KITTEN HAS TO INSPECT EVERYTHING.

:o)

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    When power tools are concerned, Mountain Dew is the strongest. Besides, the metal ones scratch...

LATER it's the double india pale ale ( 10% )

Anyways, here is the back chamber initial construction. 8 X 8 X 1/4 oak plywood and 1 5/8 X 3/4 pine make an effective enclosure. Later we sand, paint, install T-nuts on cab and install.

A 6" PVC cap wouldn't cover the driver because it would have to be angle cut and would become not deep enough.

And then there isn't enough "meat" around the driver for the cap to attach. Remember this IS 30 year old particleboard....

The pine and gasket material was less than 5 bucks at home depot.

It's also hard to work when the KITTEN HAS TO INSPECT EVERYTHING.

:o)
    I never said a 6" cap. (They also have 8" which are both bigger and deeper.)

That looks nice too and far more "stock."

I could do it with the 6" cap because I use an LE175 and the thinner diameter would allow for the space of the driver tilt.

I hope that you don't let the cat inspect the woofers or grills!

pussy galore

That kitten found it's way into a port within 1 MINUTE of the cabinets arriving into the living room. Lost one life right there and then.

I thought you said 6" - I know I saw it somewhere on the many 200 / 300 threads...maybe the reading glasses fooled me.

If you need any of the larger drivers, I have a LOT of 1" drivers to be sorted ( here are *just* the ferrites ) and all of the 16 ohm Ti's will be aquaplassed so I don't have to worry about expensive aluminum dia's when the teenagers stomp on the systems I have put in the den.

I think there are about 6 2420/2470 drivers here that are not part of any dissasembled monitors

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    That kitten found it's way into a port within 1 MINUTE of the cabinets arriving into the living room. Lost one life right there and then.

I thought you said 6" - I know I saw it somewhere on the many 200 / 300 threads...maybe the reading glasses fooled me.

If you need any of the larger drivers, I have a LOT of 1" drivers to be sorted ( here are *just* the ferrites ) and all of the 16 ohm Ti's will be aquaplassed so I don't have to worry about expensive aluminum dia's when the teenagers stomp on the systems I have put in the den.

I think there are about 6 2420/2470 drivers here that are not part of any dissasembled monitors

sub
    Thanks for the offer.

BION, I like the LE175s and have tried both the LE85 and 2425s and still prefer the LE175 on the HL91 when crossed over to the tweeter.

Zilch even ran the curves and the LE175s were smoother with as much or more low end extension than the LE85s. They just don't go as high. But so what..., that's what the tweeter is for.

Now if you have any extra H-92 or 2312s..., that's quite different.

My four surround speakers use the 2425s in a two-way system.

close, so close

I made 4 stage monitors ( hung ) that used the 2425 / 2342 and the 10" GTI1000 woof with great results. The damn things were only 12" wide and biamped with a CT810 on each. Lotsa bang for a small footprint.

I'd like to find some 10" Nd woofs and duplicate that here with the newer PT 1.5 horns and 2435HPL drivers but too many projects and too little capital anymore..:o(

BTW, some time ago I took apart the 175 and 2420's I had in the shop with weak magnets ( that I now use to demonstrate driver workings to sound guys ) and determined that the magnets themselves were in fact identical. Just the larger iron circuit made for higher gauss and then HF response.

Back when I had alnico's in PA systems the 2461 was my driver of choice for just about everything. They never died, behaved well on stage and were the lightest I could find for compact cabinets.

sub

panels and paint

ALMOST ready for the final assembly. 136A's at the reconing station, 077's to be picked up and dia's to be aquaplassed...

Need more beer though.

sub

back again

Finished the driver "doghouse" which heather calls the "hump"...cat not included.

sub

I'm getting ready to do this now that I've acquired the longer horns.

A couple questions:

I assume that 11-7/8" is where the horn centers on the back particle board? I assume that this was measured down from the back top of the cabinet and that the hole is centered side-to-side?

Wasn't the hole saw unnecessary? Except for the stability of the driver actually sitting on the wooden "cradle," couldn't you just have used a saber saw to cut an 8" square hole that would be totally within the rear extension you made and wouldn't this allow for rear mounting of the horn?

Your back cover looks to be kind of thin. Have you noted any rattles/vibrations/buzzes from this panel when played at high levels? (I was going to use 2"x2" to make the frame and 3/4" particle board for the back plate but have 1/2" particle in stock.)

Wouldn't a larger cutout/back plate have added cabinet volume extending the low frequency response?

Thanks

Yesterday I constructed the two "dog house bumps" for the cabinets. I used 2"x2" (actually 1-1/2" x 1-1/2") to make the frames and covered them with 5/8" high density pressed board. I still need to sand these and paint them primer grey to match the cabinet backs.

Subwoofs photos clearly show that this is enough depth to house the driver. The internal square hole is 5-7/8" so if I ever find a pair of LE85s that sound as nice as my LE175s, I can simply change then out. The dog houses will be held to the cabinets using 1/4" machine screws and T-nuts inside the cabinet.

Also, the cabinets will receive a 6" square hole in the rear so the horns can be installed though this hole if desired.

Hello, Friends,

I was wondering, what is the internal volume of the L200's? Are they that much smaller than the L300's, that the horn/driver won't fit inside, as it does in the L300's? This is an interesting thread, and it's made me wonder about the actual internal differences between the L200 and the L300. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information