• 90's

0 0%
  • 2000=now

1 9.09%
  • 30's - (for the really old guys)

0 0%

Thread: Desert Island Decade

Desert Island Decade

well, a twist on the "Desert Isle Disk" question, but same idea.
    If you were stuck on a desert island and could only have music from a certain decade ...what would it be ? and why ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

only 6 of us has a preference ??

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    only 6 of us has a preference ??
    Preference by decades? Yes ... I'm just not that narrow ...

Lately I've been listening to SIA, Coleman Hawkins, Ornette Coleman, Boz Scaggs, Joni Mitchell and a number of other artists - spread over at least 50 years ...

... cool music knows no date ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

wow !!! nobody likes the 90's music !!

I can conclude why - most of you guys are over 40 - am I wrong?

wow !!! nobody likes the 90's music !!
    I'm sure there was some good music but nothing's jumping out right now, Sade was around, Janes addiction too I believe, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rage Against the Machine. There was some good stuff then depending on what you liked.

This is a tough one Seawolf, I couldnt pick a decade, too restricting, I'm with Heather on this one, I even like quite a bit of selective 80's music (did not like much when it was current).
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I'm sure there was some good music but nothing's jumping out right now, Sade was around, Janes addiction too I believe, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rage Against the Machine. There was some good stuff then depending on what you liked.
    My 26 y.o. son turned me on to the RHCP's "Under the Bridge" ...absolutely love it..its on every reload of the pod ...some Nirvana was good, 90's were mostly unremarkable tho.

But the 60's ....started off as a continuation of the 50's ..by 62 Surf , Beatles , Animals , Stones were getting hot...by 67..psychedelics started happening and by 69 CCR , Johnny Cash.....WOW what a varied , exciting musical decade...

To facilitate participating, I changed the unwritten ( implied ) rules .

I choose a decades worth of recorded music, in the broadest sense .
    - So, I actually choose 1956 to 1966 as my 10 years of "island music" ) .

The fifites was a time when there were many great 20th century conductors alive ( & I believe most orchestras played with an extra passion, having lived through WWII ). Ampex tape machines had nicely matured and most of the wrinkles in electronics ( ie; distortion ) had been ironed out .
    - So I know that I can find a lot of great recordings of the classics that were recorded in the fifties ( you never mentioned when a piece had to have been written ). Otherwise, I was stuck in the wrong century .

- Additionally, small combo jazz units were at their peak throughout this period ( the rise of multitracking and wannabe mixers, really killed the sonics, as far as I'm concerned ) . Everything was good until"everyone had an 8-track" ( which was late sixties ) .

Seawolf, Exactly! thats why its so hard to pick one decade. Dont forget the 90's did have Yanni & that G guy named Kenny....wait, wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I choose a decades worth of recorded music, in the broadest sense .
    - So, I actually choose 1956 to 1966 as my 10 years of "island music" )
    Hi Earl! I like your rule change, and those are some very interesting points you brought up there, I would also have to include some of the big bands from the 40's, they were unique and played great American Music, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller etc.
    Just Play Music.

My 26 y.o. son turned me on to the RHCP's "Under the Bridge" ...absolutely love it..its on every reload of the pod ...some Nirvana was good, 90's were mostly unremarkable tho.

But the 60's ....started off as a continuation of the 50's ..by 62 Surf , Beatles , Animals , Stones were getting hot...by 67..psychedelics started happening and by 69 CCR , Johnny Cash.....WOW what a varied , exciting musical decade...
    Yeah, but Beatles, Stones, cream, into Delany and Bonnie, Blind faith, Clapton Solo and with harrison, Joni Mitchell (in many flavours), Traffic, Little Feat, Butterfield, Fleetwood mac (old and New) The Band, Ferry and Roxy Music, Steely Dan, Bowie in many shades, Van Morrison (many styles!), The Clash, OMD, U2, XTC, King Crimson v2, Gabriel, The Blue Nile, Cocteau Twins, TDream, the Manchester Sound, Talking Heads, X, Dire Straits, REM, ABC, Chris Isaak, The Highwaymen (!), Michael Brooks, Michael hedges, UB40, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Ramones, Ry Cooder, 10cc, Warren Zevon, The B-52s, The Orb, They Might be Giants, Traveling Wilburys, Eve Cassidy, k.d.lang, California Guitar Trio, Goldfrapp ...
    and thats just slidin' from late 60s into the millenium ...
    if anything, I'm guessing the Naughts are kinda slim (00-09)
    My point is, how to choose a single decade??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Heather, I would love to sample just half of the material in your library, you seem to have a really great and varied taste in music, lots of stuff I never heard of. How much of your collection do you have on your computer, a quarter? Very cool! My hats off to you!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Heather, I would love to sample just half of the material in your library, you seem to have a really great and varied taste in music, lots of stuff I never heard of. How much of your collection do you have on your computer, a quarter? Very cool! My hats off to you!
    Thanks -
    I have just the commercial stuff loaded into iTunes - mostly is ripped at 320kbps (for the iPods sake). I use iTunes on an older Mac - 22345 "songs", 184 gigs, and iTunes claims its 70 days worth of music . Some of it is Emma's stuff - she likes "pop" and "hits" more than I do ... Of course, when I really want to listen, I play the CD directly (the itunes is a convenience thing - a kind of personal radio).
    Plus I have a huge collection of concert recordings that I don't have loaded and only play on occasion ... and some vinyl.

Latest Acquisitions:
    Nuclear Whales Saxophone Orchestra: Fathom This - A Retrospective
    Joni Mitchell: the Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975)

Thread Information