Thread: 4301b or Decade 25s for classical music?

Howismydriving

4301b or Decade 25s for classical music?

I am looking to get a two way speaker to hook up to a Scott 222c amp. I have seen the Decade 25 for a resonable price, but have heard that it is a "rock" speaker and it has a JBL L100 sound to it. would the 4301b or 4308 or L40 be a better speaker for classical? Should I just avoid JBL (not to be rude or anything) for that kind of music? I have limited space, but do like the bass that the speaker could give me. I am dealing with about 15 watts a channel (el84 tube) in a 12x14 foot room. I use mainly Cds but have some LPs that I drag out every once in a while.
    Thanks
    Ben

JBL

Why do you think JBL is used in studios? Studios record ALL kind og music, including classical. Dont worry. They will give you hours of pleassure litening to your music.

Regards

Rolf

Wow - I like 'em all ('cept the l100, but they ex[ect me to say that... ).

Here's my grab: If the Decade 25's are readily available, try 'em. I personally have quite a fondness for the 4301B's, in particular their LF reproduction (and when driven by low-power amps), but haven't A/B'd them against the 25's (had no need to...). If the 25's are in good shape, and reasonable, if/when you try the 4301B's and like them better, you can eBay the 25's along to another interested fan. Keeps the family together...

Avoid JBL...? What, are you deaf...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

L25 are Primas L26's are Decades. Same speaker different cabinets. I have a pair of Prima's. Fun speakers not the same as L100's. Those 4301's are basically L16's??. Wow would have bet they were L19's. Take a look in the Library

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...974-decade.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/1972-l25.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/1978-pro.htm

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 03-15-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Howismydriving
    Howdy
    Thank's ya'll for the help. I will see if I can demo a the L25s and see if they fit. I will also keep and eye out for 4301bs. What is the difference between a 4301b and the L19?
    Thanks
    Ben

I quote:

"If you want to hear the truth in life, don't pass music by"

I am quoting Eric Burdon & The Animals, if memory serves......

Substitute the words "life" with "sound" and "music" with "JBL", and maybe you'll dig what most of us are talking about.

Whoa, maybe I'm getting too philisophical (sp?) in m old age. Oh well, I can always blame it on a flashback.
    Charles.

Originally posted by Howismydriving
    What is the difference between a 4301b and the L19?
    The 4301B is the Professional version of the L19, and precursor to the 4408. There are modifications/improvements to the network and (I believe...) the LF. As well, there is an L-pad adjustment to balance the 2-way (I think the L19 is fixed...).

There is a pair of 4301B's on eBay right now - possibly a bargain, except they do need new surrounds, and there are no grills (I asked the seller). So, don't pay-up, but if you're inclined to do the surrounds work, you can get a great opportunity to sample these most deserving although smallest of the 43xx-series.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Well if 4301 == L19, then the only real difference we're dealing with here, between that an an L25/L26, is an 8" woofer vs a 10" woofer.

I'd expect both of them to have very similar sonic character... but with the natural things, ie, the 8" L19/4301 to have more midrange "resolution", but the 10" L25 to have more bass extension, and a more "laid back" midrange.

That said, I haven't compared the Scott 222 to other period tube amps... but I can say this: one of the greatest sounding vintage systems I've EVER heard, was a Dynaco Stereo 70/PAS3 running a pair of L26s. Jaw-droppingly good, for whatever reason. Some sort of tonal balance and timing synergy there... whatever caused it, it was like those components were MADE for each other.

That said, and also with my (also very favorable) experience with a Stromberg-Carlson ASR333 on a pair of Lancer 77s... well, I'd be VERY inclined to try to at least audition the L25 Primas on the Scott amp...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Originally posted by boputnam
    The 4301B is the Professional version of the L19, and precursor to the 4408. There are modifications/improvements to the network and (I believe...) the LF. As well, there is an L-pad adjustment to balance the 2-way (I think the L19 is fixed...).

There is a pair of 4301B's on eBay right now - possibly a bargain, except they do need new surrounds, and there are no grills (I asked the seller). So, don't pay-up, but if you're inclined to do the surrounds work, you can get a great opportunity to sample these most deserving although smallest of the 43xx-series.
    I also thought the cab was a little different?
    It has been a long time.
    I just got mine back and I am ready to restore!
    Shane

Thread Information