Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2245H recone done right?

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    According to US and EU customs the tariff applied to loudspeaker imports is a mutual 4.5%. Add to that our wonderful VAT tax at 17.5 % still leaves us a long way off 160%. So no, you can't say 'protectionism'.
    It'd be good if rather than blithely blame it on 'protectionism',someone from Harman could step up and explain the price difference.
    Back on topic;
    Isn't there a way for genuine JBL parts to be watermarked/stamped, anything to ensure provenance?

Sorry if I struck a nerve on taxation....It's not my intention to start an argument. It's just been my experience with European customers that end up paying nearly double or more after all taxes, levies, etc.

Your local distributor sets the prices, and some distributors are a division of Harman, some are not. Here is a link to all International distributors. You could contact yours and voice your dismay:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/contacts/intleuro.htm

Back on topic. Just like anything else, it takes an educated eye to know what is genuine and what is not...."Pssst....Hey, buddy....wanna buy a Rolex for cheap?"
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Not sure why the experts never mentioned the non JBL markings on the back of that bogus cone kit, Wake up guys!!!

Also I suspect the price difference in Europe is simply because they can get it.

American Drug companies sell the same drugs to Americans at higher prices compared to Canadians because they can.

We have tour buses full of Americans coming across just to buy Drugs in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    We have tour buses full of Americans coming across just to buy Drugs in Canada.
    And to think, back in the sixties it was the other way round
    @Edge'
    Educated eye indeed; It's thanks to reading this forum I'm a lot more wary and now would
    check with you guys before buying anything JBL(bargain price or not).

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Guido, FWIW The US list price of a genuine 2245 recone (Orange County)is $237 compared with $610 in europe.
    Is it any wonder people look for eBay bargains rather than suffer JBL Europe's 150% mark ups?
    IMHO JBL should look after their european customers instead of robbing them blind...
    Wrong! I wrote AT LEAST 610 USD (400 Euro) for a complete fresh 2245! Not just a recone.

If you add shipping and all taxes you have to pay officially than the bargains aren't bargains any longer.
    Don't tell me shipping to and from USA plus recone plus the problems with the customs plus the risk of a damaged speaker justify a recone in USA. NEVER!
    But we are free individuals and can ship our speakers everywhere.

I have no idea what this wrong 2245 did cost on epay. What's sure is that if you add the ebay price of this wrong unit and the recone price (US or Germany) you will end up with more than 400 Euro.
    YEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Wrong! I wrote AT LEAST 610 USD (400 Euro) for a complete fresh 2245! Not just a recone.

Guido, Erm, there seems to be some confusion, the post I refered to was below....

"A real 2245 fresh recone need to cost around 400 Euro.
    The official price for the cone kit here in Germany is 280 Euro."

Your points regarding not sending stuff for recone in the US certainly makes sense and goes some way to explaining the european prices-namely they have us by the balls.

Thread Information