Thread: JBL HP Series Speakers

Question JBL HP Series Speakers

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and joined to get a little bit of insight/thoughts on value and sound quality regarding my first JBL speaker purchase from 10 years ago.

I moved a year after purchasing these HP series speakers and stored the speakers in the basement in my new house. I was thinking I would finish the basement with a HT and use these speakers. To this day I have not finished the basement. A few months ago I decided to venture down into the basement to clean it out and came across them again. I am now wondering if the speakers are well liked and what peoples thoughts are on these. I personally loved the highs and mids on these speakers but felt the bass was a little lacking. I added a sub and this seemed to balance them out. Now it is a pretty kicking system.

In between the 10 years I became a bit of a Polkie and now have a RT5000 setup. I really like this set up and am planning to keep this system for some time and use it as my main system. However I now have a issue. I have these JBL's (enough for a 7.1 setup) in really great condition sitting around waiting for me to finish out the basement HT or sell them to someone who will appreciate them.

I wanted to get some perspective from those on this forum about these speakers and if they are worth keeping for a future project or should I sell them. Also, if I end up selling what is a fair price. I have searched the web and have not seen many of these sold recently. I have found there were only 1700 made for the US. I would go to Audiogon but do not want to pay the fee for just one little piece of pricing info.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list of items on this system.....and what I think they are worth. Can you advise if I am in the right ballpark for prices as I may be selling them. All the speaker cabinets and speakers themselves are in excellent condition (no pushed in cones). The grill cloth on the 88f's and 6b's show signs of wear and could be replaced. The parts can still be ordered from HK and would bring them up to how they looked out of the box. The 8B's look brand new.

-CL505 Center $75.00
    -HP88F Front Left and Right $300.00
    -HP8B Rear Left and Right $200.00
    -HP6B Rear Surround Left and Right $150.00

Thanks in advance for you advice or thoughts.

Hirting

P.S. I am not trying to sell these at this point. Just looking for info/interest.

Interesting!!!

Since you have the JBL speakers you could set them up in place of the Polk speakers and and see( hear) if you really like them. Who knows you could like them over the Polks!
    On the C-net forms when asked what speakers I recommend JBL and Polk are all wise in the list.
    In a HT setup you need a sub, unless you have a 15" woofer system. John

Thread Information