Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L65 on Steroids

L65 on Steroids

I have a question for anyone who has really liked the JBL L65s and especially for those who have owned them and have had experience with other speakers.

A forum member who owns a pair and likes them would like to upgrade. We have discussed options, but he wants to maintain the sound quality of the L65s but he wants more. As in more L65 not necessarily what you or I might think is a better loudspeaker. If we start suggesting what we think is better the whole conversation wanders into the subjective land of what good sound is. We have beaten that topic to death and certainly will again.

Personally I'd describe the L65 as a rather mellow toned loudspeaker with a fairly fat low end and a zingy top end. This isn't my flavor of sound and therefore am at a loss when trying to think of a system that has even more L65 than the L65.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Widget

Obsolete
    Way back then a buddy of mine had a pair of 5 cu ft boxes and we decided to put the L65 system components in them, instead of the 122A we used the 136A and it worked out pretty well. Or so we thought at the time. One could also expand the L65 into a 4315.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Way back then a buddy of mine had a pair of 5 cu ft boxes and we decided to put the L65 system components in them, instead of the 122A we used the 136A and it worked out pretty well. Or so we thought at the time. One could also expand the L65 into a 4315.
    That's right. I have literature on a JBL system using a slightly larger cabinet than the L65 called the Flair. It used the white coned 135 with the cone mid and tweeter of the L100... something like that with the 077 and mid from an L65 would be cool.

I'm not sure, but I think he is looking for a pre-made solution though.

Widget

Thanks for starting this Mr. Widget

I just finished going through your thread on hearing loss and laughed at myself - 50% deaf in one ear and I am chasing speakers... The real truth I suspect, is at 45 I am too far along my path to chase another hobby and achieve the level of understanding I have with those I have chased all my life - which is to say motorcylces, my work and now with a young family I am enjoying all sorts of new things..

I have been doing a lot of reading on this site (so much more to do) and I am going to step away from those 19's we were talking about, and continue to try to better define my modest speaker ambitions and what JBL speakers I should pursue next.

My frame of reference for speakers is so limited that I suspect engaging folks here at LH, in the hopes of leap frogging my understanding, will be a real challenge and consume too much of everyone's time - I wish to avoid this.

At this point what I think might be most helpful is a rough roadmap of JBL lineage/sound. It appears there was a transition between the west coast sound to a more balanced speaker in the 80's. If the L65 is the 'west coast sound' and I want to move up a model level would this be the L200/B/L300 series? If I accept the fact that a more technically accurate speaker is what I would like to experience next, I assume the monitor series (4311B/4312) would be a reasonable place to start and possibly the L250/250Ti home line.

Cheers and thank you all, and I recognize shopping for speakers over the internet appears ridiculous in the extreme, but it is what I have to work with, so your experience and comments are greatly appreciated.

Mark

nb: Thank you (the thread & author escapes me) for the direct comparison between Clarity and Solen caps - I think I will try the clarity's in my Jubals and see what we come up with...

Help

Come on now.

I know that there are quite a few of you out there with a significantly greater first hand knowledge of commercially available JBLs from the '70s, '80s and '90s than I have. Can't any of you think of an upgrade to the L65 that still has it's character?

Widget

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Can't any of you think of an upgrade to the L65 that still has it's character?
    4315A's?

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    4315A's?
    Hmmm? The 4315A is an L65 that has been improved to be sure, but I believe it is not necessarily the type of "improvement" that Mark is looking for.

Widget

It's been about 4 years since I owned a pair of L65's. Back then I also was looking to upgrade them. The general concensus I got from forum members at that time was that the L65 is already closely engineered to its design goals and probably already optimum within its limitations...use them the way they are and save your money for your next set of JBLs. That being said though, the upgrades I would try are as follows and in the following order:

1) Upgrade the crossover network.
    2) Add an external 14" or larger subwoofer.
    3) Swap the LF drivers for the 2214 (or 128H-1).
    4) Swap the MF drivers for the 104H-2.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    4315A's?

John
    Hello again John - the pursuit continues...

The 4315's certainly fit the bill from what I have read and Heathr seems right pleased with hers, but they seem to be near unobtanium and more truthfully I think they represent a good 2 levels up from the Jubals - I will continue to dream of owning a pair but I think I need to set my sights a little lower...

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
    It's been about 4 years since I owned a pair of L65's. Back then I also was looking to upgrade them. The general concensus I got from forum members at that time was that the L65 is already closely engineered to its design goals and probably already optimum within its limitations...use them the way they are and save your money for your next set of JBLs. That being said though, the upgrades I would try are as follows and in the following order:

1) Upgrade the crossover network.
    2) Add an external 14" or larger subwoofer.
    3) Swap the LF drivers for the 2214 (or 128H-1).
    4) Swap the MF drivers for the 104H-2.
    Sorry if I was unclear - I intend to return the Jubals to my father in near original condition - I am looking for a replacement vs an upgrade to existing.

Cheers

Mark

In the words of Emily Latilla: "Nevermind".

I think the 4412 Studio Monitors might be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by chilledspode View Post
    Hello again John - the pursuit continues...

The 4315's certainly fit the bill from what I have read and Heather seems right pleased with hers, but they seem to be near unobtanium and more truthfully I think they represent a good 2 levels up from the Jubals - I will continue to dream of owning a pair but I think I need to set my sights a little lower...

Cheers

Mark
    Actually, mine are a step above the 4315s, I have 4341s, pretty much the same 4 drivers as a 4343 but in a slightly smaller cabinet (small is relative). They do pop up from time to time, but to get a set in good condition can be a bit pricey (although not as pricey as the 4345s with those huge 18" woofers!). I was lucky, PLUS I had some spares to shift around from another set of big boxes to make them complete ...

Maybe a set of 4313Bs?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

If you like the sound character or "voicing" of the Jubals you won't want to upgrade to something too much newer. I would say that the L220's would be the closest thing to a speaker that sounds like a larger version of the Jubal. They should be findable with a little effort and waiting.

Mike

I have L65, L222 and L300. I have not done ABC tests of the 3 but for me the L65 is better than the L222. The highs can cut glass and the bass seems tighter. I have not pushed the L300 like I have the L65 but I would think the L300 would be better since it has the same tweeter, a horn mid-range and a bigger woofer.

Something to do Sunday. ABC testing.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Thread Information