Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest brainstorm! 2435HPL direct radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    You would think that it was a clue that both ATC in all its applications crosses over their dome to the tweeter at 3500-4000 hertz and in the XPL likewise.

Why scew with such a nice design is beyond me.

I explained clearly why I would like to "screw with" such a wonderful, beautiful, godlike design. I explained the limitations of the current platform I was working with. I am not building a system from scratch. I am trying to retrofit components into a different system. XPL's in stock form do not sound good! My system is superior! Apparently I must have done something right!
    My screwing, happens to work!
    Now I am mad
    have a nice day!
    Sincerely who cares

Quote Originally Posted by NewZenith View Post
    My whole reason for posting before attempting this project was to gather information, to help me decide whether or not it would even work!
    What I got were general criticisms and you shouldn'ts. I do not respond to that type of information, I do not like authority.
    Let's try and leave our personalities out of this. Ian, please refrain from telling us exactly how you feel. And Mr. Zenith try to be a bit more accepting of opinions that you do not want to hear. If you ask for opinions you will likely hear from those that agree with you and offer encouragement and from neigh sayers and people who disagree with your ideas.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by NewZenith View Post
    . . . . What I got were general criticisms and you shouldn'ts. . . .
    Perhaps we're not sufficiently appreciative of your creativity. Perhaps we tend to convergent thinking--wanting to know and understand what has been done that works and use that as a foundation for developing new ideas. I have a feeling you fancy yourself a divergent thinker likely to demonstrate that the herd departed from the true path some time ago, or that we're stuck in group think and are missing possibilities because our minds are closed to them.

Well--OK. Then why are you asking us for advice? It seems like every suggestion, every problem that is pointed out to you is to you nothing but a point for debate. Maybe Ian came in low and hard on this thread, but I think you should look back at some of your old threads where you will find the context for his approach to you.

Another member has already suggested you build your speaker and let us know the result, instead of pursuing this unproductive exchange, yet here you still are.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Perhaps we're not sufficiently appreciative of your creativity. Perhaps we tend to convergent thinking--wanting to know and understand what has been done that works and use that as a foundation for developing new ideas. I have a feeling you fancy yourself a divergent thinker likely to demonstrate that the herd departed from the true path some time ago, or that we're stuck in group think and are missing possibilities because our minds are closed to them.

Well--OK. Then why are you asking us for advice? It seems like every suggestion, every problem that is pointed out to you is to you nothing but a point for debate. Maybe Ian came in low and hard on this thread, but I think you should look back at some of your old threads where you will find the context for his approach to you.

Another member has already suggested you build your speaker and let us know the result, instead of pursuing this unproductive exchange, yet here you still are.

David

Well, if we are going to bring up the past, and focus on some of my arguably less than sterling moments. Then we must do that for everyone.
    I too, as I have pointed out in the past, have been on the edge for a long time. Every once in awhile I get brave and decide to post a thought.
    However this time I posted my thinking with a whole bunch of self-deprecation and humility, one needs look no further than my avatar.
    A shoemaker is a Cobb artist.
    It doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong, I think you would need a judge and a jury to sort it all out, at this point.

It's just really not that important.
    Although After all of this correspondence the only pieces of new information I have is that I used the term pistonic incorrect.
    And that apparently phase cancellations would make use of a direct reader dome above 4000 cycles impractical.
    A rather meager harvest.
    I don't want to argue with people, it can be fun, but unfortunately it's no way to make friends.
    As far as whether or not I fancy myself a divergent thinker, can say that I've ever thought about it that way. I just think the way I think. My thinking is not about fashion or fancy, it is not a point of interest, or food for ego, it is a tool, a means to an end.
    If you want to know about me, and my weaknesses, I'm happy to spell them out.
    I don't get pushed around. I do not tolerate lies. I am very forthcoming. I don't care about whose toes I step on. I am headstrong. I stand up for myself.
    I don't BS.
    I am sometimes full of shit.
    I don't mean to be.
    I do not knowingly spread misinformation or exaggerate.
    I know these are not the characters of the modern human being,
    I don't care.
    I don't have to.
    I'm going to shut up now.
    NZ.

On another thought here....

Replacement diaphragms for 2435 are $768.00 each. That's an expensive experiment to guinea pig a beautiful purpose-built compression driver....but hey....it's your money.

There are no health issues with th 2435 Be diaphragm....it's a formed foil alloy that won't pop like the TAD. Greg Timbers told me that...it's made by Brush-Wellman and I think you can get info on their website about it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

So you just have to do it.

If you cross it safely and don't overdrive it, you won't hurt it.

Hopefully you have some measurement equipment, AND will be good enough to post some results for those of us who are also curious to a fault!

You have been missled on one thing regarding the power cables to your Haflers, the black is the warmest if you can keep it in direct sulight! Avoid refrigeration exept when driving subs only.

1audiohack, the name says it all!

In the interests of continuity here below are some of NZ's other diy adventures involving experiements with metal dome midrange drivers.

Snipets and links from other threads.

Its unfortunate that NZ has fragmented his efforts over various threads and I suspect he assumed we could follow the journey and appreciate what he is doing (in his head).

The documentation and reporting of the results from particular activities is unclear and inconsistent from one thread to another and this is understandable if you are going to open a new thread for each activity involving a core interest or theme.

This makes it nearly impossible to follow up and make sense of. It unreasonable to expect anyone to recall or save as a history all the other posts. As a consiquence the feeback from the forums aside from the nature of the topic is not pretty.

Nz has been quite passionate about sharing what he is up to but the way he has gone about presenting it is perhaps not in keeping with the effort or the outcomes

I think that is the message here.

As to a factual reason for attempting to improve the 093 its is unclear other than he thought it could be.

dome midranges can be crossed at 7K comfortably I was able to ad a pair of slots, replacing the 044Ti's. Very interesting and desirable results. Definitely a very capable tweeter!
    Sincerely NZ.[/quote]

Okay, I was full of you know what about the moddid T030's being capable of 7K!
    Let me strike that from the record. Although they do play up there they dive in response after 4800 or so, then they make a miraculous and enthusiastic comeback.
    I still think the 077 is fantastic, however it must be teamed up with a capable HF driver.
    Still learning, will try to keep my enthusiasm empirical!
    NZ.
    I prefer vintage gear, not because new products are inferior, but simply because it gives me a way to interact, or perhaps in some cases to improve upon a less than ideal design or execution
    Hot Rod 093TI
    Ever since my fascination with dome speakers began about two years ago I have had a love-hate relationship with the JBL 093Ti. I was always curious what would happen if you replaced or modified the rather anemic looking magnet structure. Having a pair of 112A baskets lying around with no cones in sight I thought it acceptable to cannibalize their magnet structures and combine them with the 093Ti diaphragm to see what might happen.

Has anyone else tried this or similar modifications to other speakers?
    It essentially grants the voice coil endless reserves and a much denser magnetic field.
    The voice coil also becomes under-hung.
    Efficiency and usable range increased dramatically, I would guess on the efficiency range + 3 decibels and at least 500 Hz of increased bandwidth capacity.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14230
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t=14230&page=2

I do not currently own an RTA. I've been told that you got to spend five grand to get a good one? I am very curious what the theoretical disadvantages might be considering the design of the 093Ti diaphragm.
    I would also like to share my observations if there is interest.
    Sincerely NZ.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14025
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.
    These are home brew XPL 250 based on a set of L250's, driver complement is as follows LE14H-1
    112A 093Ti and 044Ti on top, the midbass drivers are alnico rather than ferrite because they, quite frankly sounded cleaner, despite recommendations from Giskard to use the H series units which I have as well. I went through hell to get those midbass drivers and they are absolutely worth it!
    As far as choosing the 093TI upper midrange drivers, well that's a matter of taste. I tried for different cone midrange drivers and prefer the 093Ti units over them all, LE 5-2, LE 5-12, 104H and the 104H-2 which seemed the best out of the bunch.
    Midrange projection detail and dynamics as well as soundstage all improved with this configuration, however I am running an active four-way crossover so I do not care to guess how difficult it would be to get this bunch of drivers to blend with a passive configuration.
    Blending between the 044Ti and cone midrange units was impossible for me to achieve, however blending between the 093Ti and the 044Ti is disgustingly seamless with one catch, I had to push the crossover point to 5K in order to keep them from gleaming, don't ask me what I mean by that. They had a funny squawk, very fatiguing but they fit together and sounded as though they were one driver.
    Overall system crossover points are as follows, 24 DB per octave, 200 Hz-1350 Hz and 5K.
    Overall system performance is exceptional! They Excel on horns and acoustically recorded vocals, detail is annoyingly good as well as soundstage and micro acoustics. The system comes as close to a horn system as I have heard without any funny phase anomalies I generally hear on horn top ends yet they have horn like qualities as far as sound production and dynamics.
    The system is not well-suited for heavily processed music that is inherently full of phase problems and distortion, it becomes difficult to ignore.
    I will write further later.
    NZ
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=9906

Andreaspaulsen
    Dear All

This has been done before, If you look at www.pukstudio.dk studio 1 and click on the picture it is there. The total studio design was done by the now closed SLT (owned by the former owner of GAMUT, ole lund christensen) even though the design specifics was done by other people.
    BTW the woofers used are 30" fostex. just to give you a size scale to compare with.
    There is an AES paper from 85 Paper Number: 2312 AES Convention: 79 (October 1985) which I think describes the system
    in detail.

Cheers
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaspaulsen View Post
    Dear All

This has been done before, If you look at www.pukstudio.dk studio 1 and click on the picture it is there. The total studio design was done by the now closed SLT (owned by the former owner of GAMUT, ole lund christensen) even though the design specifics was done by other people.
    BTW the woofers used are 30" fostex. just to give you a size scale to compare with.
    There is an AES paper from 85 Paper Number: 2312 AES Convention: 79 (October 1985) which I think describes the system
    in detail.

Cheers
    Andreas
    the correct url is pukstudio.com
    studio 1 and 2 seems to share the same control room

In the interests of continuity here below are some of NZ's other diy adventures involving experiements with metal dome midrange drivers.

Snipets and links from other threads.

Its unfortunate that NZ has fragmented his efforts over various threads and I suspect he assumed we could follow the journey and appreciate what he is doing (in his head).

The documentation and reporting of the results from particular activities is unclear and inconsistent from one thread to another and this is understandable if you are going to open a new thread for each activity involving a core interest or theme.

This makes it nearly impossible to follow up and make sense of. It unreasonable to expect anyone to recall or save as a history all the other posts. As a consiquence the feeback from the forums aside from the nature of the topic is not pretty.

Nz has been quite passionate about sharing what he is up to but the way he has gone about presenting it is perhaps not in keeping with the effort or the outcomes

I think that is the message here.

As to a factual reason for attempting to improve the 093 its is unclear other than he thought it could be.

dome midranges can be crossed at 7K comfortably I was able to ad a pair of slots, replacing the 044Ti's. Very interesting and desirable results. Definitely a very capable tweeter!
    Sincerely NZ.
    Okay, I was full of you know what about the moddid T030's being capable of 7K!
    Let me strike that from the record. Although they do play up there they dive in response after 4800 or so, then they make a miraculous and enthusiastic comeback.
    I still think the 077 is fantastic, however it must be teamed up with a capable HF driver.
    Still learning, will try to keep my enthusiasm empirical!
    NZ.
    I prefer vintage gear, not because new products are inferior, but simply because it gives me a way to interact, or perhaps in some cases to improve upon a less than ideal design or execution
    Hot Rod 093TI
    Ever since my fascination with dome speakers began about two years ago I have had a love-hate relationship with the JBL 093Ti. I was always curious what would happen if you replaced or modified the rather anemic looking magnet structure. Having a pair of 112A baskets lying around with no cones in sight I thought it acceptable to cannibalize their magnet structures and combine them with the 093Ti diaphragm to see what might happen.

Has anyone else tried this or similar modifications to other speakers?
    It essentially grants the voice coil endless reserves and a much denser magnetic field.
    The voice coil also becomes under-hung.
    Efficiency and usable range increased dramatically, I would guess on the efficiency range + 3 decibels and at least 500 Hz of increased bandwidth capacity.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14230
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t=14230&page=2

I do not currently own an RTA. I've been told that you got to spend five grand to get a good one? I am very curious what the theoretical disadvantages might be considering the design of the 093Ti diaphragm.
    I would also like to share my observations if there is interest.
    Sincerely NZ.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14025
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.
    These are home brew XPL 250 based on a set of L250's, driver complement is as follows LE14H-1
    112A 093Ti and 044Ti on top, the midbass drivers are alnico rather than ferrite because they, quite frankly sounded cleaner, despite recommendations from Giskard to use the H series units which I have as well. I went through hell to get those midbass drivers and they are absolutely worth it!
    As far as choosing the 093TI upper midrange drivers, well that's a matter of taste. I tried for different cone midrange drivers and prefer the 093Ti units over them all, LE 5-2, LE 5-12, 104H and the 104H-2 which seemed the best out of the bunch.
    Midrange projection detail and dynamics as well as soundstage all improved with this configuration, however I am running an active four-way crossover so I do not care to guess how difficult it would be to get this bunch of drivers to blend with a passive configuration.
    Blending between the 044Ti and cone midrange units was impossible for me to achieve, however blending between the 093Ti and the 044Ti is disgustingly seamless with one catch, I had to push the crossover point to 5K in order to keep them from gleaming, don't ask me what I mean by that. They had a funny squawk, very fatiguing but they fit together and sounded as though they were one driver.
    Overall system crossover points are as follows, 24 DB per octave, 200 Hz-1350 Hz and 5K.
    Overall system performance is exceptional! They Excel on horns and acoustically recorded vocals, detail is annoyingly good as well as soundstage and micro acoustics. The system comes as close to a horn system as I have heard without any funny phase anomalies I generally hear on horn top ends yet they have horn like qualities as far as sound production and dynamics.
    The system is not well-suited for heavily processed music that is inherently full of phase problems and distortion, it becomes difficult to ignore.
    I will write further later.
    NZ
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=9906[/quote]

Thank you IAN, a laborious task no doubt. I am immensely appreciative, although the intro needs a little work.
    I always enjoy reading my old posts.
    I can tell I have made a friend for life!
    NZ

Could can buy some test equipment for less than $2000.

Without that and being able to assess the response of the drivers very accurately and the associated voltage drives your subjective impressions are like throwing a stone into a pond and counting the ripples. ie its very easy to kid yourself about what works and does not work

Have you thought about blogging over on Roomy the Cat's web page.

Could can buy some test equipment for less than $2000.

Without that and being able to assess the response of the drivers very accurately and the associated voltage drives your subjective impressions are like throwing a stone into a pond and counting the ripples. ie its very easy to kid yourself about what works and does not work

Have you thought about blogging over on Roomy the Cat's web page.

No, but it sounds like a good idea. Although I'm not quite sure if I know enough about cats.
    Maybe someday.
    NZ

Maron Horonzakz
    Oh he is quite a crazy cat,,,But interesting reading....

Thread Information