It came to me in a vision last night, just after I knocked over the wine bottle.
Would it be possible/practical to convert a 2435HPL compression driver to a direct radiator and what would be the benefits/compromises.
I am already running 435Be's on my 4345 monitors. Thinking of picking up a pair of used 2435 drivers for experimentation. I believe these drivers have .020 between the phase plug and diaphragm. Above 1 kHz crossover point should allow for a bidirectional Xmax of .030 inches safely.
Mylar haf rolled compliance is fairly durable, again for above 1 kHz use only.
My goal would be usable output to 7 kHz or perhaps eight. So I may be able to adequately blend in with a 2405/077 slot in my XPL whatever's.
It must be possible, however it is beyond me right now, to calculate max SPL at any given frequency with available diaphragm area approximately 7 in.˛ at any given frequency knowing Xmax.
This experiment would require no permanent modifications to the compression driver.
A homemade Waveguide could be fixed to the aluminum diaphragm ring with the same fasteners used to hold the back cap on.
Phase plug may even assist in tuning the lower frequencies for better coupling to a tuning chamber.
Driver would beam at those high frequencies although I do not know how much.
Please forgive my curiosity.
Sincerely your shoemaker newzenith.