Thread: Phase Plug Renderings

RIP 2009

Phase Plug Renderings

Edit: I thought it might be best if I don't mention the manufacturer - it wasn't a Lansing company. This was several years ago, so it's probably safe to post...

I was over at Mr. Widget's yesterday and the topic of phase plugs came up. I then remembered one that I created in Autodesk's Mechanical Desktop software from technical sketches by (unnamed). I was working for an Autodesk reseller at the time, and this model was a demo for (unnamed) of what could be done.

It's a lot more complex than it looks - in the straight-on view, notice the compound curves created in the inside of the vanes as they taper in. I first had to create NURBS surfaces, then convert it into a solid model. It's about 3.5" diameter.

Anyway, 'just thought some of you might be interested in seeing this.

John

Last edited by johnaec; 03-14-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

John:

It is very interesting, I still wonder why the majors did not go to this type of phase plug; If possible, and only for my interest, pls send me a PM with the name of the unameable.

Even more off-topic, it reminds me of Escher.

Alex.

whgeiger

Wromg Color!

Originally posted by johnaec
    Edit: I thought it might be best if I don't mention the manufacturer - it wasn't a Lansing company. This was several years ago, so it's probably safe to post...

)snip(

Regards,

WHG

Wrong color and a different geometry. Altec is gone and the the green company is still with us... hmmm.

Interseting!

I would like to hear these Lime colored phase plugs! I can tell you I DO have Altec 808-8A,s with the orange color tangerines and they do work.

But, I can clearly see the different geometries in the two plugs, and I wonder if the newer design is actually improved!

RIP 2009
    It really does look similar to that orange one - only longer taper...
    BTW - that lime color just happened to be what I picked for working on it in the software - I have no idea what color they eventually produced it in, if ever...

John

Maron Horonzakz
    I would like to see a rendering of the JBL 2450 phase plug. At one time they had an add showing a cut away of its complex shape. it was a tiny illustration. Any one remember it? TAD has side view cut away drawings of its drivers & woofers. It would be nice if JBL did also.

Thread Information