Thread: L112 Restoration

AMACNEE

L112 Restoration

One of the L112's I am restoring has a missing cap (black) on one of the speaker binding posts. I tried to buy a new binding post thru Harmon Kardon parts but it is not the correct one.

There is a guy who had a single L40 for sale on ebay that did not sell and he is going to part the speaker out. Does anyone know whether or not the speaker binding post is the same on the L112 as on the L40?

Why don't you just buy two new binding posts, and replace the old ones? Better yet, get FOUR and do both cabinets.

www.PartsExpress.com offers a variety of these, and they surely have some that will fit quite well, and might even accept a thicker-gauge wire.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

AMACNEE
    Bo,

Thanks for the idea. However, my objective is to maintain the speakers as originally speced and built by JBL.

Still looking for help with interchangability between L40 speaker binding post and L112, if anyone knows.

Thanks

Art

Well, if you strike-out, don't be otherwise deterred from your task. Even Giskard has, at times, urged upgrading the old binding posts to permit use of thicker-gauge leads.

Keep us posted...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Can you post a quick pic of the binding post? I assume these are the ones where you push in the spring-loaded button and put the wire in from the side? If so, I think I have a pair of these, from a derelict cabinet. AFAIK, all of the spring-loaded ones were the same...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Obsolete
    Some of the L112's had the twist posts. I always replaced them with the 5-way binding posts from the Ti Series.

AMACNEE
    You guys are making me think twice about a "pure restoration". It sounds like I need to at least consider upgrading the binding posts. However, I do have a couple of questions first.

1. Are the 5-way posts from the ti series still available?

2. If they aren't is there a specific recommendation based on your experience?

Thanks,
    Art

AMACNEE
    The original posts on the speakers are the twist & lock type. The wire is inserted in a hole in the cap and then the cap is turned about a quarter turn to lock.

Obsolete
    I can send you the twist posts free of charge if I haven't already tossed them in the trash. I couldn't possibly charge you anything for them. Send me a PM with your shipping address.

As far as I know, the Ti binding posts are NLA from JBL. I'm not willing to part with the pairs I have left. I did find a source a few years back that had exact duplicates but I cannot remember who it was

Talking Binding posts

I replaced my posts from my L250's with some long gold 5way posts from Madisound.com this way they stuck out of the back a little farther and could accommodate the big wires that are now available.
    Hope this helps
    Shane

Thread Information