Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for crossover selection/biamping

Bi Amp 4343

Hi
    I am in the middle of the same thing right now.
    I have followed the advice of some of the experts on this forum and purchased a Crown K2 amplifier. It has plenty of power, but importantly for home use, does not use a fan, so should be dead quiet. I have actually yet to hear it as it was an eBay purchase and I should collect it at end of month. It cost £420, which seems to be the going rate for working models.

Re the actual active crossover, I am getting one of the members to build me one. I am hoping to use it both for the 4343s and for NS1000Ms, so that the electronics stay the same, regardless of the speaker system in use.
    There is plenty (too much actually) on the forum about crossovers. All agree that the bi-amp switch should be dropped. I plan to rebuild what is needed for bi-amping and remove the switch completely. What I have not found is background information on converting the 4-way passive crossover to a 3-way, for both the 4343 and the 3-way to a 2-way for NS1000M. My concern is that part of the crossover circuit may still be in operation and I am hesitant about cutting out parts without guidance...so back to the books

Hi George,

I thought you were bi-amping ? woofs on the K2 and everything else on the pass labs ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Japer,

Dbx driverack will give you whistles and bells and a 24db slope. I'm pretty sure this has been covered many many times. There are people here that design for JBL and many gifted people that do nothing else but, tweak and redesign crossovers.
    The general consensus is " Ashley 1001" best value and sound for the money; proven by some of the very best ears this site has to offer. There is an opinion here that unless you spend a lot money DIGITAL is'nt worth it ,but its your buck and you have to do what you think is best. When all is said and done "one cannot re-invent the wheel" Start with quality and build
    the system up ! Heck , look at Charge coupling the xover. It will do more for the 4343 than a drive rack.

Rich

Will look for the ashley then. And if to hard to find here in denmark then go for the BBE that have 12db slope filter and a nad power amp and maybe a crown for the LF. Something like that I think.

Im not that techinal so could anyone explain what this means about the ashley

"" It does have a "response" control that allows you to adjust the depth of the crossover point.
    And this should allow you to get an overall response that very closely matches that of the JBL 52-5140 crossover cards"""

I also dont know what charge coupling is

Ok, doesent matter with the slope depth charge copling and so on. It will just be a lot of technical stuff. I now for sure am waiting for a K2 to show up and the ashley crossover. So far so good. Dont know for sure for rest of the system right now. we´ll see.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty !

Japer,

they look stunning They deserve the best. A really inexpensive upgrade would be to get them off the floor about 150mm . You'll notice an improvement in the low F immediately.

Rich

Japer,

they look stunning They deserve the best. A really inexpensive upgrade would be to get them off the floor about 150mm . You'll notice an improvement in the low F immediately.

Rich
    Thanks

Good advice, have been thinking in doing that now and then. Another upgrade would be a better/bigger room. But I dont think thats going too happen for a while. The finish is teak so not the original finish. Its been veneered with 10mm teak all the way around so this Jbl 4343 is a little wider than the original. Have been thinking of getting 3mm walnut veneer put on them. Need the blue front-grilles too. Dont know if its possible to get that anywhere. I´ve tjecked the internal wirings in realtion to a thread in here and think I got it right now. So my 4343 is getting better and better and is getting closer and closer to the original. Im going to buy new potmeters for it too sometime soon. Have found the Ashley crossover for sale for something like 165 Dollars. I just have to be a member at the site to be allowed to contact the seller. I have of course signed in but I havent been aproved yet so I cant buy the Crossover yet Damn

Du har pm.

mats
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    Du har pm.

mats
    Thank you very much Mats

You are welcome.

mats
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

Cloth.

Japer,

so it sounds like Mats has scored your crossover for you
    You could try sending a PM to Mr Zilch. He may know of some JBL blue cloth

The extra 10mm on the box has improved it . You will have to get a pro to veneer over Teak. It heals itself when the grain is worked and emits a natural oil that makes it very hard for glue to stick.

Rich

Crown Amps

If it is any help I have access to Crown products in the UK at ' trade ' prices.

Japer,

so it sounds like Mats has scored your crossover for you
    You could try sending a PM to Mr Zilch. He may know of some JBL blue cloth

The extra 10mm on the box has improved it . You will have to get a pro to veneer over Teak. It heals itself when the grain is worked and emits a natural oil that makes it very hard for glue to stick.

Rich
    Yes got in contact with the seller of the ashley xr1001 today, bought it and he will send it to me. Got the adress from Mats yes. Thanks for the link to Mr Zilch. Will contact him and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    If it is any help I have access to Crown products in the UK at ' trade ' prices.

Im not sure that my mcintosh is sold, so unfortunately I will have to wait a while before I can buy anything. But will contact you if im interested thank you.

Got these ones and some money of course in trade with my mcintosh.

Will take a better picture later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No to digital. It is not required nor advised for this application.

You don't need time-alignment - these cabinest sound fine without it.

Stay analogue whenever you can. There are plenty of good economical options, analogue, to fit your needs with great results.

Oh, and Japer - better refurbish those Lansalloy surrounds soon as you can.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information