Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedex strikes again

Fedex strikes again

Three days ago this E120 was brand new (old stock).

It was well packed - double boxed in double layer cardboard, mounted on hard foam (which was crushed). Fedex spent all of Tuesday trying to deliver it to the wrong zip code... then on Wednesday they decided it would be more fun to squash it instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Terrible. Really horrible.
    All the carriers suck.
    It's really a gamble.
    I spent 3hrs today at the post office trying to file an insurance claim on a package they seemingly threw in the sewer. (Hafler preamp.)
    Last Summer, UPS "lost" ONE of two Genelecs I shipped to Canada. Somehow a box of printed matter arrived in its place.

I hope Fedex is good with the insurance claims.
    Good Luck!!

Aggravation

I tell you what....

When using shipping materials that have proven to work in the past, it never ceases to amaze me that someone, somewhere will deliver the fatal blow out of frustration from his own organization's managerial/clerical error.

Up to now...FedEx has been flawless for me.

It took three days for this to arrive in what should've been a one day trip.

I can see the driver using it for a step stool in his truck...or throwing it to the back... when he discovered it was sent to the wrong zip code and couldn't find the address.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thought a truck hit my house last month but it was just the UPS guy flipping my JBL L890 end over end across the porch. The first bang I heard was only the sub getting tossed from the yard onto the porch.
    Got a pair of 8" JBL woofers refoamed for a friend and shipped them but the package went somewhere else and was labeled "exception" and finally delivered with box open!

In general I prefer FedEx myself, but it is always a crap shoot. What ever is shipped must be able to withstand being dropped 4' onto concrete or you may be disappointed. I found this out a few months back when I shipped some heavy fragile items. They were well packed I thought, but I was obviously wrong. After dropping them and smashing the wooden crates I had built, FedEx did offer to pay to replace them, but that is hardly the point.

Pack well, pray to the deity of your choice, and always buy insurance!

Widget

Pack well, pray to the deity of your choice, and always buy insurance!

Widget[/QUOTE]

I'll second that ! Mr Widget

Rich

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Last year we recieved a Banged up Klipsch RW-12 subwoofer. The cabinet was crushed and the woofer gasket had been deformed. They obviously had used it to stack thing on top of. There were inprints of metal floors on the side of the subwofer!

This was Tollpost.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I had a run-in with an eBay seller, UPS and Office Depot. 2 Carver units in 1 box. Only crumpled newspaper as packing. Box was not in too bad a shape. But the contents! Amp just had a bent cover corner. But the sound processor was the worst. Still not sure if I can straighten the faceplate.

Buyer said UPS counter in Office Depot packed it therefore it was packed OK. UPS said bad packing. In the end seller walked away with my money, UPS insurance company did not spend a dime and I have damaged goods.

As far as I am concerned buying insurance does not cover damage. Just a lost package. How can they insure something against damages when they did not pack it?
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

I've been thinking about this today.

The foam underneath the driver was hard, 2+ inches thick. Around the outer rim of the frame it was completely crushed, to the point of disintegrating. The foam under the cone remained intact, and this is what squashed it.

I think it must have take A LOT of force to pulverize the foam... significantly more than being dropped a few feet or having someone stand on it. I think it's more likely that this box fell off of a high shelf in a warehouse, or got squashed by a forklift trying to squeeze it into a small space.

It would be nice to see a shipping / distribution company that specializes in handling fragile items. There is definitely a market demand and a lot of people would pay a premium to avoid the Fedex / UPS headache.

First thing what should of been done is to mount the driver cone down to at least a 1/4" or more plywood board.

Then stretch wrap the whole thing and then hard foam.

Regardless the box does sound like it was mishandled.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    First thing what should of been done is to mount the driver cone down to at least a 1/4" or more plywood board.

Then stretch wrap the whole thing and then hard foam.

Regardless the box does sound like it was mishandled.
    This is exactly what an Ebay seller did for me for the two JBL E145-8 woofers I won, except he didn't use hard foam but some kind of blanket plus peanuts. All arrived safely.

a

Just last week I watched, from the front door, the mailman stick one of those phony "Sorry we missed you" notes in my mailbox. I paid $35usd for shipping and they never even attempted delivery! The sender even went to the trouble of going to the PO on a Saturday morning to ship as quick as I had paid. But I had to drive to the PO to pick it up. Funny thing was the lady there told me I had to wait for the mailman to return from his route. I explain that he never attempted delivery and she went and checked and sure enough there was my package.

Finally !!! A positive story...

A couple of months back I sold a preamp to a LHF member across the country...It got there via USPS, but not in good shape. He said it had tire marks on the box and it was wet.
    When packing it up, I had a weird feeling and put on insurance, at my expense. (kinda protects both of us from USPS)...
    Anyway, he filed the claim and this week....a check !!!! Insurance had to work as advertised at least once
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Finally !!! A positive story...

A couple of months back I sold a preamp to a LHF member across the country...It got there via USPS, but not in good shape. He said it had tire marks on the box and it was wet.
    When packing it up, I had a weird feeling and put on insurance, at my expense. (kinda protects both of us from USPS)...
    Anyway, he filed the claim and this week....a check !!!! Insurance had to work as advertised at least once
    Tire marks you say? So THAT'S how you get USPS/UPS to pay claims!

Thread Information