Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fedex strikes again

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    (kinda protects both of us from USPS)...
    Anyway, he filed the claim and this week....a check !!!! Insurance had to work as advertised at least once
    While it's usually been a hassle, all the insurance claims I've tried to collect on have eventually come through.

You're lucky with the USPS - they allow the recipient to file the paperwork and collect directly, though as I recall there's a few procedures that have to be followed in that case.

Virtually *all* the other carriers require the seller/shipper to provide all the supporting documents, and the check also gets written to the seller, and you have to hope he comes clean with you. The only exception I know to this is if the buyer pays for shipping via an account with the shipping company. I've never heard of an eBay seller doing it this way, though.

The simple solution, (I don't know why shipping companies don't do this ), would be to just have a checkbox the seller/shipper could mark when shipping that simply agrees to allow the buyer/receiver do the insurance paperwork and receive the check. The receiver is usually the owner by this time, having paid for the item and shipping to the seller in advance - *why* should the seller get the refund?

The shipping companies have all told me they can't do this because they need to see the shipping receipts and insurance papers. Bull!! The minute anything ships, *all* the info is in their computer and tracking systems. Allowing the buyer/receiver to to do all the insurance claim work in the event of damage would make things vastly easier!

That said, I've also on occasion asked the seller if I can send him a pre-configured shipping box at my expense, just so I know it will be packed properly, (I've actually got such a proposal to another seller right now on an amp I just bought). One time, the seller refused, saying they knew full well how to pack a pair of speakers. You guessed it - they arrived totally trashed! It took me almost 3 months to collect on that one, because the seller kept insisting it was up to me to file all the insurance papers. After literally about 10 calls back and forth, they finally realized that was just the way it was...

And while FedEx *will* let the receiver file the initial claim papers, that only gets it rolling. The seller still has to provide all the receipts, etc., and the check still goes to them. Fortunately, the threat of negative feedback usually gets them motivated to come through...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    While it's usually been a hassle, all the insurance claims I've tried to collect on have eventually come through.

You're lucky with the USPS - they allow the recipient to file the paperwork and collect directly, though as I recall there's a few procedures that have to be followed in that case.

Virtually *all* the other carriers require the seller/shipper to provide all the supporting documents, and the check also gets written to the seller, and you have to hope he comes clean with you. The only exception I know to this is if the buyer pays for shipping via an account with the shipping company. I've never heard of an eBay seller doing it this way, though.
    John
    USPS lets either end to file the paperwork. since you have to take the item/packing into them to be inspected and the purchaser is the person who wants the money, I thought it better that he do it.
    Unfortunately, they keep the damaged item.

Different story of course on lost item.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

In the interest of full disclosure it was me who got the Hafler soaking wet and with skidmarks. For the benefit of those who may find themselves in a similar situation, let me add some things:

If you are the recipient of a damaged item shipped by the USPS you will have to pay a visit in person to surrender the item and fill out paperwork.

In my case, I spent more than 3 hours standing in the PO to get this right. That was after being forcefully persistent in telling a succession of workers that I could file the claim as well as the sender. Finally got a supervisor who said I was wrong, and I told him to "go on line" and read the material. He actually went in the back, whether he read the web page or not I do not know. Following a series of "wait here s" I finally got paperwork which had to be filled out in four or five copies by hand. I assume they had no copy machine.

The supervisor then filled out his portions by hand -- for all "copies," or originals as it were.

All tolled, 3 hours standing. Additional disclosure: I don't have luck with the government, so you may be gracefully spared in a similar situation.

My advice: be persistent, read your stuff before you go down in person, and BE PERSISTENT!

I believe the people who "helped" me never assisted a customer through the procedure. This is in Zip 10001, the PO that never closes!
    HAHAHAHA!

But in the end, I got the refund. Yay.

I read this post in the same way as rubber-neckers pass an accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you do.

I am expecting a pair of JBL L36s from Vancouver, WA. The seller is a really great guy and sent me pictures of how he packed the item. It looked like he used the same proven method. But, reading how carefully your speakers were packed and still got damages really frightens me . I guess this is an occupational hazzard of aquiring more gear.

I hope things work out.

DK
    I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.

Have any of you heard of a package from Fedex having water damage? That is the line I heard yesterday regarding why they did not deliver my JBL S2600 speakers. One box was soaked. They called and asked if I wanted them to still deliver. I said yes, but they took a damage assesment ( w/o taking the speaker out of the box ). They are suppose to deliver today. I hope I am lucky and they are alright.

How the hell does Fedex end up geting there goods damaged. Reminds me of Castaway!

He sent 140lb speakers via FedEx ground? IMHO, those should have been strapped to a pallet and sent via freight! I would want to know if the cardboard was still wet or if it just has water damage. They have a cardboard insert within the outer box, hopefully that protected them. When you do get them and if the cabinets appear to be OK, I would pull the drivers and crossovers and check for any corrosion. I sincerely hope they are not damaged! Please keep us posted.
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

analogman

How long ago did this happen......?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I had a run-in with an eBay seller, UPS and Office Depot. 2 Carver units in 1 box. Only crumpled newspaper as packing. Box was not in too bad a shape. But the contents! Amp just had a bent cover corner. But the sound processor was the worst. Still not sure if I can straighten the faceplate.

Buyer said UPS counter in Office Depot packed it therefore it was packed OK. UPS said bad packing. In the end seller walked away with my money, UPS insurance company did not spend a dime and I have damaged goods.

As far as I am concerned buying insurance does not cover damage. Just a lost package. How can they insure something against damages when they did not pack it?

Hopefully a year or less.
    Make a call and write a letter of demand.
    They have to make you whole unless those corners were already like that.
    Your box was packed by someone that would easily be perceived by any reasonable person as an agent acting on the behalf of UPS, even if NOT in their direct hire. Liability here extends and cross pollinates.
    Most just give up with the blow off they already gave you.
    Doesn't work that way, ESPECIALLY in sunny California.
    May take some strong talk, but you can get satisfaction.
    Analogman

analogman

They're really in bed together.......

.......far beyond just a drop location. They owe you. I guarantee it. I can't speak to which arm handles compensation for matters such as these as I have only filed one claim with UPS since around 1970. They delivered a Rega turntable to an abandoned warehouse in Tennessee for me once. I try to avoid using them. Couple of years ago I attempted to ship a large tube amp up to Oregon for warranty work. What a nightmare! Amp weighed 100lbs. Idiot picked it up (3) times and subsequently returned it! Never made it out of town. The paper work or whatever wasn't "right" at dumb ass central!?! It was a pick up initiated by a long standing business account. Finally the guy that was to receive the amp said "fuc% it" and had DHL come get it. Amp's never been the same after a minimum of (8) "on and offs" by those dumb shits with UPS not to mention it's eventual journey.
    Good luck and God Bless:

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nas...06/story2.html

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/loc..._phr=locations

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/loc...?WT.svl=SubNav

Thread Information