Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: room size for big monitors ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Nope. Theoretically.

That said, I don't know if there are any anechoic chambers big enough to be "flat" below 25-30Hz.

Widget
    I visited one of my machinery manufactures in Italy a few years ago. They had an anechoic chamber big enough to park a dump truck in. They even test whole ferrari's in it from time to time. When you talk you get the feeling that you have your head in a bag. The sound just seems to stop right in front of your face. Very freaky.

A few things intrigue me surrounding this issue.
    The first is that once you open a door or window, what's happened to the 'longest' room dimension? What if you have a fireplace/chimney?
    What's happening on the 'other' side of the cone-ie that much smaller room called the cabinet?What about transmission through walls/floors etc-I have no trouble hearing/feeling the infrabass of a thunder clap from inside my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by rs237 View Post
    Hello
    Very interesting discussion. Thank you to all those who are involved. I have a lot of new information. When bass Proplem I agree with Ian, the problems, the space regardless of whether I make a small or big box use.
    But I am in the Summa, in this Tread was called love. It will be my next project. I have 2452HSL and 2234, and will build a horn itself.

regards

juergen
    Edge, was pointing to post 39.

As we said in the first few posts and as discussed with Jurgen the notion of bass issues of big speakers for average size home living room use is not the concern.....its where you can put them to make best effect overall.

Listening distance, space between enclosures and the rear wall is a problem with large boxes.

In contrast I could fire up a pair of LSR32 with the matching sub and the problems Edgewound is on about would still exist but you will have more flexibility in finding the best position for problems like early reflections to get the best imaging.

I think that is why Jurgen likes the Suma as it is room friendly design.

Small to medium rooms tend to have more bunched up room modes below 300 hertz but that is not the end of the world. You can incorporate acoustic treatments and some careful eq to ease those issues if they respresent a problem where you want to sit and listen. Careful location of the enclosures relative to the room boundaries will help control those room modes and manipulate room gain below 100 hertz if you feel that last couple of octaves are important to you.

As is often the case arm chair critics in these types of discussions forget that they talking about the real practically of someone's home. Their desires and all the other considerations, like the spouse, other furniture and something to sit on are just if not more important than what is printed on a white paper or outspoken, insensitive, jaded opinions.

There are less options with large enclosures, its that simple.

In contrast large modern rooms with broad, flat hard surface like a modern American living room are a serious PITA for high quality sound reproduction. They have less pronounced room modes but the problems associated with all those large flat surfaces play havoc with the rest of the audio spectrum above 500 hertz. Controlling those issues without getting a divorce is difficult and expensive. Depending on the room construction bass heard outside room may or may not be an issue.

As one who faces these concerns every time I listen to music, I must say that was a nice summation, Ian.

I was thinking that building a room from scratch would eliminate the issue of odd shaped rooms, but then I remembered this: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...9&postcount=10
    So who knows?

I wish it were possible to soffit mount my 4345 pair, but in two words, forget it.

Using any speaker, large or small, as "Headphones" has one advantage. Getting closer tends to distance the room from the equation. The direct sound is louder in relation to the reflections, so they diminish in importance.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

hi, over diyaudio, dr. Geddes considers doing a run of his 12" - 15" waveguides (and molded baffle like Ai ESP12 ) !
    I think we reach the dozen amount required anyway, but I hint this info for you to know. Looks to be cool alternative of 2344 for instance

oh the link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...8&goto=newpost

JBL 4645
    My room is more or less within rs237. Control room well I am using JBL Control series.

I’ve done something rather different taken a frequency response waterfall graph chart of my voice while producing a deep tone the word (one 1) or a tonal sine wave with the human voice. The ECM8000 was placed within 6” while I listened to my voice (one 1) and haring the reverberation reflecting off the corner with slight delay and then decaying. I’m guessing the decay is around 1 to 1.5 or less, but it’s audible that much I can tell.

So how do you go about use a microphone and testing the room with frequency sweep or sine wave spot frequency, to get a rough 100% on the reverberation domain time limit?

Now I’ve tried this against fabric material like the drapes in the front of the room and there is less reflectivity.

Doesn’t amplitude of the frequency increase further with more power and that is probably why neighbours can hear often hear the deep pulsing tone travelling the length from ones home to the next?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    ...a frequency response waterfall graph chart of my voice...
    So is the time domain the vertical axis in your graphs? Since it's "waterfall", does that mean time starts at the top in the graphs?

Edit: I was just looking at one of your graphs in your DVD thread and see that time starts at the bottom.

John

Thread Information