Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Altec 414Z Surround Ooze

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I measured the FS of the pair I have. The one pictured at the beginning of this thread with the big mass of goop on the surround measured 35hz. The other 414Z which seems to be it's original mate, has far less goop on it and almost no puddle of ooze. It measured 32Hz.

I had been on the fence as to what to do with these woofers, but after taking an initial frequency response curve that showed quite a promising possibility for them I am going to fix these and give them a whirl. Widget
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Widget, I expect you have resolved the problems with deteriorated "goop" on your 414-z drivers referenced in your "03-11-2008 12:17 AM" via today's "new posts,which suggests there is still considerable interest in rehabilitating Altec speakers.

"Goop" is still available in tubes...more about that, later...Some 40 years ago, in a cnversation with A.J. May at the RCA Lunch club, the subject of trade secrets in the RCA LC1-A Drawings came up and A. J. remarked That he found it convenient to specify in the LC1-A drawing parts list:"Goop," Purchasing shall Contact Engineering for vender."

Recently i was rumaging around "The Home Depot Store," adhiesives shelves & I found a big bin full of genuime "Moyen Inc' Goop", in tubes.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Cheers herki the cat

This ?:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

Jomoco... the later 8 ohm versions were in the 96-97dB range,
    If you have access to WinISD (free), you can plug in nominal
    T/S values to get a sensitivity estimate...

Currection = Goop is not made by C. P. Moyen, but is still sold at The Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post

mr. Widget, i expect you have resolved the problems with deteriorated "goop" on your 414-z drivers referenced in your "03-11-2008 12:17 am" via today's "new posts,which suggests there is still considerable interest in rehabilitating altec speakers.

"goop" is still available in tubes...more about that, later...some 40 years ago, in a cnversation with A J May at the RCA lunch club, the subject of trade secrets in the RCA LC1-A drawings came up and A J May Remarked that he found it convenient to specify in the LC1-A drawing parts list:"goop," purchasing shall contact engineering for vender."

Recently i was rumaging around "the home depot store," adhiesives shelves & i found a big bin full of genuime "goop", in tubes.

Herki the cat
    Up date 4/29/2010 regarding "goop"which you can still buy at the home depot in tubes. I had stated 'in error" in this post that "goop" was made by C. P. Moyen co." using info from a prestigous fellow LHForum fellow member's post.

However, Harvey Gerst;283577 states: "Yes, goop was originally only used on the JBL D123 cloth surround. I figured it would also be useful to prevent the paper surrounds on the "F" series from cracking."

BTW, I learned recently from Moyen Co., customer service that Moyen Co., is not the manufacturer of goop, a mistake in my post. The Goop manufacturer has been identified in this thread by member Maistrow in his post titled: "Hello From The Goop Guy"

Please contact Harvey Gerst;283577 for further info regarding "goop" since he met the "goop" people in an AES conference in NY City.

Thread Information