Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bass Players

GREAT BASS LESH FILLING

Nice Christian McBride solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJbp6VqtXzQ

The Great Jazz Trio at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 2

Got this album yesterday and had a chance to listen to it a bit today.....fantastic! I can see why Ron Carter is held in high regard. the whole cd is really good, its hard to beat a really good trio when it comes to jazz, all the players are very talented. some great numbers in there ,I just wish it was longer. Will probably look into the other volumes, should probably be of equal quality/caliber.

Thank you much!
    Just Play Music.

Tony Williams on drums?!?!!!

I was just listening to Stanley Clarke's self titled album (1974) and was just looking at the liner notes and I noticed right there, on drums...Tony Williams, is this the same Tony Williams that played with Miles & on the previous post (the great jazz trio) ???? Havent looked inside this album in a long long time.

Thanks

Just Play Music.

That'd be the same one ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Williams

Anthony Tillmon "Tony" Williams (December 12, 1945February 23, 1997) was an American jazz drummer
    Tony Williams Lifetime

In 1969, he formed a trio, "The Tony Williams Lifetime," with John McLaughlin on guitar, and Larry Young on organ. Jack Bruce on bass was added later. It was a pioneering band of the fusion movement, a combination of rock, R&B, and jazz. Their first album, Emergency!, was largely rejected by the jazz community at the time of its release. Nowadays, Emergency! is considered by many to be a fusion classic.

After McLaughlin's departure, and several more albums, Lifetime disbanded. In 1975, Williams put together a band he called "The New Tony Williams Lifetime," featuring bassist Tony Newton, pianist Alan Pasqua, and English guitarist Allan Holdsworth, which recorded two albums for Columbia Records, Believe It and Million Dollar Legs respectively.

=======
    for what its worth, I saw the 2nd Lifetime band at a little DC pub called The Childe Harold years ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I was just listening to Stanley Clarke's self titled album (1974) and was just looking at the liner notes and I noticed right there, on drums...Tony Williams, is this the same Tony Williams that played with Miles & on the previous post (the great jazz trio) ???? Havent looked inside this album in a long long time.

Thanks
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thank you Heather, that was very informative, you learn something new every day. Have you heard the Emergency! album & if so what did you think of it. How was their second incarnation when you saw them live?
    BTW that Mothership album is pretty wild stuff, would have never thougt of checking it out if you hadnt talked about it, Thanks

Thank you Heather, that was very informative, you learn something new every day. Have you heard the Emergency! album & if so what did you think of it. How was their second incarnation when you saw them live?
    BTW that Mothership album is pretty wild stuff, would have never thougt of checking it out if you hadnt talked about it, Thanks
    It's all your fault- it was ~70 degrees here yesterday, so I let the dogs out & opened up all the windows & worked out in the garage with a couple L110s cranking Tony Williams "Lifetime: The Collection" (includes albums "Believe It" and "Million Dollar Legs") & "Ultimate Tony Williams".

The song "Joy-Filled Summer" is what got me to first seek out Tony Williams years ago. I had heard that and Cozy Powell's "Over The Top" in the same day, and remember writing the names & titles on my arm with a pen so I wouldn't forget them...

Hey thanks,

je

I'll take responsibility....along with everyone else here
    I should be thanking you and everyone who shared some of their favs with us.
    The greatest stereos and speakers mean nothing without some good music to play on them.
    There are many great suggestions in this and other threads relating to the incredibly varied styles of music waiting to be explored. That is exciting!
    Zilch's suggestion (just to name one) of Michael Hedges on the You Tube thread is a prime example. Maybe not everyone will like it but at least you were exposed to it and may find something new that you trully like....something that you will never hear on the sorry radio stations that seem so prevalent these days. Sorry for the flare up there

All of this broadens our horizons & goes a long way to helping us enjoy our passion for music, played through our favorite speakers of course. I just wish I had more time to explore, there is so much music available to us, more than at any other time in the history of mankind, pretty incredible really.

Thank you all!

Hope you gave the L110's a good workout as well. 70 degrees, just makes it feel like winter's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    It's all your fault-
    The song "Joy-Filled Summer" is what got me to first seek out Tony Williams years ago. I had heard that and Cozy Powell's "Over The Top" in the same day, and remember writing the names & titles on my arm with a pen so I wouldn't forget them...je
    If there's no writing material an arm will do in a jam.
    Just Play Music.

If there's no writing material an arm will do in a jam.
    It was '88, and I was maybe 23, probably working on some gazillionaire's stereo system when CD 101.9 started playing instrumental jazz. Had to try to remember what the artists & songs were somehow...you'd think I'd be carrying a note pad or something, right? Good thing it wasn't a Sharpie, I'd still have the tattoo.

Bought Spyro Gyra's Morning Dance around then, to demo The Donald's system to him, it was my first CD purchase ever! That, plus Vivaldi/Four Seasons and Handel/Water Music. Weird how you remember stuff like that. My company had sold him a Pioneer PD-M6 mounted nearly VERTICALLY, I had to test it to see if it would work as "designed"! Knuckleheads...

je

I always thought Tommy Shannon (SRV bass player) could play - but I am out of my element here....

Mark

Not sure if I saw Anthony Jackson mentioned. Another GREAT bass player.

Chuck Rainey. Some samples on his site:

http://www.chuckrainey.com/

je

Forgive me if this guy has already been mentioned, but if you like stand up bass, try Niels Henning Orsted-Pedersen. I see him in the Video of the Jazzbaltica 2003 Konzert fur Ray Brown. A very melodic player.

Don't miss Michael Brecker playing solo pieces and looking back during some breaks grooving to Ray Brown, who of course being dead was not really there. One of the great moments in Jazz.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Haven't seen these guys on the thresd....

James Jamerson...........Early Motown
    Bob Babbitt.................Late-Era Motown
    Timothy B. Schmidt......Eagles

And that young girl playing with Jeff Beck on Crossroads Guitar Tour

Tim Bogert.......Beck, Bogert,Appice

Rick

Peter Cetera.......on the early chicago albums. I particularly enjoy his performance on "Intoduction" from their first album. That song also has my favorite Terry Kath guitar solo.

Thread Information