Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bass Players

Ray Brown

It can't get any simpler than this! Piano and bass. Wonderful improv by the two masters. Great recording, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    It can't get any simpler than this! Piano and bass. Wonderful improv by the two masters. Great recording, too.

damn i forgot about this one.
    will make a note of it so i wont forget to buy that.
    thnx

@ clark
    youre right. a fart will definitly sound better on jbl ore altec.
    i listen to a lot of audiophile sets over here in the lowlands.
    the trend however is to reduce the diameter of the bass drivers.
    One of the reasons i love jbl so much is the big ass woofers with a huge magnetic field wich make bass sound very naturally. at least thats my opinion.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

My List

Jaco Pastorius
    Leland Sklarr
    Mingus
    Ron Brown
    John Entwhistle
    Jack Cassidy
    Phil Lesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I'm afraid this album may be hard to find. It is a 1977 Japanese vinyl release. My local Audio shop carries such records, so I am lucky in that regard. It is The Great Jazz Trio At The Village Vanguard Vol. 2, East Wind label 15PJ-1016. How's that for obscure? Hank Jones, piano. Ron Carter, bass. Tony Williams, drums.I just realized why people keep listing names I already mentioned.
    if I were not me and I used ignore lists, I would probably be on mine.
    Enjoy your new blue faced toys,
    Clark
    Hi Clark!

This list is getting really good, thank you for digging through your archives, I appreciate it. I found something on amazon but it doesnt list much about it, do the track listings ring a bell.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-Jazz-Tri...3945331&sr=1-2

I am curious about this album with all that you've said and now Tony Willimas on it, last I heard of him was when he was quite young playing with Miles, this is worth searching out. Thank you for your time!
    As far as repeat posts I have to agree with Heather's assesment for I am guilty of the same, sometimes I just stumble into a thread and bounce around its pages especially if its a large thread, there is just so much information/knowledge here

Been trying to enjoy the new toys, but I think Bo summed it up perfectly, "so much gear so little time" (excuse if misquoting).

Steve K,
    Duke Ellington & Ray Brown, thats got to be simply beautiful, thank you for the suggestion!

Almost forgot... do you guys remember the Barney Miller tv show from the 70's, am I off targer here or did that have a great musical intro real funky with great bass and equally great guitar, I always wanted to hear more of it. Does anyone know any more about this? I know Larry Carlton did a lot of stuff for tv.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi Clark!

Steve K,
    Duke Ellington & Ray Brown, thats got to be simply beautiful, thank you for the suggestion!

Almost forgot... do you guys remember the Barney Miller tv show from the 70's, am I off targer here or did that have a great musical intro real funky with great bass and equally great guitar, I always wanted to hear more of it. Does anyone know any more about this? I know Larry Carlton did a lot of stuff for tv.
    Yep, I just ordered that Basie CD myself! Thanks, SteveK!
    Plus Joni Mitchell's "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" -
    I'd heard that was some of Jaco's better work with her ...

I drove in today listening to some Eberhard Weber - from "Stages of a Long Journey" -
    I used to enjoy his stuff in the past but somehow I lost touch ... very nice!

EDIT: I found the quote about Jaco on the Joni Mitchell albums - wikipedia bio on Jaco -
    "During the course of his musical career, Pastorius played on dozens of recording sessions for other musicians, both in and out of jazz circles. Some of his most notable are four highly regarded albums with acclaimed singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell: Hejira (1976), Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (1977), Mingus (1979) and the live album Shadows and Light (1980). His influence was most dominant on Hejira, and many of the songs on that album seem to be composed using the bass as a melodic source of inspiration."

I ordered "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" this morning as I already own the other 3 - and the DVD of Shadows and Light !
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

This list is getting really good, thank you for digging through your archives, I appreciate it. I found something on amazon but it doesnt list much about it, do the track listings ring a bell.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-Jazz-Tri...3945331&sr=1-2

I am curious about this album with all that you've said and now Tony Williams on it, last I heard of him was when he was quite young playing with Miles, this is worth searching out. Thank you for your time!
    I'll be damned, that is it. Same cover even. I hope it is a Japanese (virgin) Vinyl pressing. When you get it you can tell by holding it up to a light. You will be able to see through it. The fidelity of these pressings is unbelievable.

No problem on the research. Thank you for this thread! It is proving to be a gold mine for anyone willing to read it. I can always "suffer" through someone helping me rediscover my own collection.

I'm a huge Barney Miller fan. I will try and find out who that was.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hi Clark, unfortuantely its a cd, not vivyl , there are some good record stores in the city I am sure but its just having the time to go there and rummage that keeps me going back to amazon. Gonna give it a whirl anyway
    Just Play Music.

Wolfgang Van Halen
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hi Clark, unfortuantely its a cd, not vivyl , there are some good record stores in the city I am sure but its just having the time to go there and rummage that keeps me going back to amazon. Gonna give it a whirl anyway
    My Alzheimers moment for the day. Of course a recent issue remaster would be a CD. Don't worry, CDs with the sash in Japanese - an Obi - are usually very high quality. If you do ever see any Japanese vinyl you like for a good price, jump right in. This CD should be a nice addition to your music library.

Many USA remasters stink. They are compressed to hell and are often worse than the original CD. Take the obi to be a Good Housekeeping seal of approval generally.

Speaking of Alzheimers, how did I forget Eberhard Weber? A staple of the ECM house band as well as a leader. An all time favorite of mine:
    http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/...32&lvredir=712
    A follow up CD, much darker and more somber :http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/...inrubchooser=9

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Great Bass Players

Just about everyone on my short list (Headed by Jaco Pastorious and Stanley Clark) has already been named and/or listed. I've seen Yes listed frequently on the thread having to do with bands people hate, and I have to admit, Anderson's voice drives me up a wall, and I own no Yes albums; however, because of circumstances beyond my control, I did see a live Yes concert back in either 1979 or 1980, and I have to say that Chris Squire is one of the best I've actually seen perform. He played every part of the instrument.

Hi Clark, I jumped the gun a bit and ordered it prior to your last post, not the import version but not a remaster either, got it for 10 bucks so I figured I'd take a gamble. Picked up the Ellington & Ray Brown, I love the Duke, one of his last recordings (not the last) also took a shot at the Joni Mitchel album you recommended, its a nice start, thanks again.
    I know I'll be checking this list from time to time and slowly make my way through it, will check the library as well, they come through with obscure/non main stream stuff from time to time.

Whizzer I believe it, as per the buffalo 66 reference on that thread, that bass was wild, I would love to hear more in same vein. Sometimes circumstances out of our control are not a bad thing

We are on a Roll! no kidding, I think it would take me a year to sample the material that has been listed so far.

BARNEY MILLER theme song (quality not so great but its just funny hearing that after many years....

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/...usicbedtag.wav

Someone should redo a version of it and really go to town on it!
    Just Play Music.

A lot of great names there.

A few I didn't see.

Leroy Vinnegar-deceased.West coast walking bass fame.ie Shelley Manne,etc.

Eddie Gomez-(Bill Evans,Chick Corea,Miles Davis,Wayne Shorter,Steve Gadd,etc.)

Nathan East-(Fourplay)

Gary Willis-(Tribal Tech)

Christian Mcbride

Jimmy Haslip-(Yellowjackets)

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Just about everyone on my short list (Headed by Jaco Pastorious and Stanley Clark) has already been named and/or listed. I've seen Yes listed frequently on the thread having to do with bands people hate, and I have to admit, Anderson's voice drives me up a wall, and I own no Yes albums; however, because of circumstances beyond my control, I did see a live Yes concert back in either 1979 or 1980, and I have to say that Chris Squire is one of the best I've actually seen perform. He played every part of the instrument.

yes WAS a great band before "owner of..."
    gates of betrayl (dont know how to spell it) is great.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

pelly3s
    I didnt see anyone list him but what about Mike Porcaro from Toto, and before him David Hungate.

MJ Bing

Thumbs up

Let us not forget

Paul Chambers

Thread Information