Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bass Players

Fred Sanford pretty well summed up my list, and I would add Tal Wilkenfeld. Love her style!

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    and besides...We All Love Really Good Bass!
    Never were truer words uttered in the planet's history!

Did I miss it, or did no one mention Jamie (James Lee) Jamerson yet? He is the most sampled player on Earth, I think, and of course played on nearly all the Motown classic hits. How about it, guys, was Motown bass OK with you?

Right, Paul McCartney. He can be unbelievable when the muse strikes. And Tony Levin I too have heard live. One really talented dude. The Chapman Stick is one cool - whatever it is.

I'm a huge Chess Records & Chicago Blues fan, so how about Willie Dixon.

One of the more interesting bass players I heard was Jimmy Page. Yes, James Patrick Page of Surrey, England. When I saw the Yardbirds in Chicago, he was playing bass with the group. In interviews he said he was "having trouble sticking to a root thing." No lie. As Neil Young would say, he was all over the f***ing thing. I do not think this brief period made it onto vinyl, unfortunately.

One more - Stephen Stills, Captain Manyhands on the first CSN album. One of the best ever.

Krunchy, I have a particular Ron Carter album in mind but I have to dig up the title. Give me a day or two. Jaco, I don't know where to start, but his three or so cuts on Joni Mitchell's Hejira are a good place. The last track, Refuge Of The Roads, will show what for. And wait 'till you see Peter Washington!

Lar, Ray Brown is a first ballot hall of famer, forgive the baseball reference. Solid and then some. If I were not so high on Ron Carter, he would be my number one jazz bassist.

Clark
    Last edited by Ducatista47; 02-21-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Forgot a few
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Another solid bass player who was around from the start of the bebop era was Ray Brown.

Some sound clips here:

http://www.hopper-management.com/ray_brown.htm

Lar

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Did I miss it, or did no one mention Jamie (James Lee) Jamerson yet? He is the most sampled player on Earth, I think, and of course played on nearly all the Motown classic hits. How about it, guys, was Motown bass OK with you?
    One of the more interesting bass players I heard was Jimmy Page. Yes, James Patrick Page of Surrey, England.

One more - Stephen Stills, Captain Manyhands on the first CSN album. One of the best ever.

Krunchy, I have a particular Ron Carter album in mind but I have to dig up the title. Give me a day or two. Jaco, I don't know where to start, but his three or so cuts on Joni Mitchell's Hejira are a good place. The last track, Refuge Of The Roads, will show what for. And wait 'till you see Peter Washington! Clark
    Motown Bass?.... Damn Right! motown, funk, who cares as long as its SOLID & can LAY IT DOWN!!!
    Jimmy Page? wow, I would love to just imagine that.
    Peter Washington, will be seeing him at Basies coca-cola cafe in Lincoln Center in May, yes yes YES really looking forward to it but dont want to rush things
    Got one of the Trio's cds and been listening to is, very nice! Read somewhere that the trio should be renamed for they are all very talented (as you mentioned in your original post) and its almost unfair to call it the Bill Charlap Trio. That drummer is so hot too, reminds me of art Blakey a little, not necessarily his style but something else, looks, aura, who knows.

This is off topic but, do you have any Fats Waller records? I love that guy, dont make em like that anymore.

Lar, its probably my computer but, I couldnt access the links, thank you though.
    Just Play Music.

Krunchy,
    I thought you'd say Tony Levin!

Let's see...
    I like everybody, but for CHEST POUNDING I'll add
    Jeff Magnum
    John Entwistle
    John Wetton

and I love
    Carol Kaye

I just remembered that a few months ago I saw Bootsy Collins walking around on the street with a bass on his back wearing silver pants. That was cool.

Sorry, was supposed to pick one?

Tina Weymouth
    John McVie
    Charlie Hayden
    Steve Swallow
    Adam Clayton
    Bootsy Collins
    Rick Danko
    Phil Lesh
    Rick James
    Carl Radle
    Larry Graham

and how about
    Bill Wyman
    Roger Waters
    Brian Wilson
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Oh yeah, Brian Wilson, Rick Danko! Good ones Ducatista!
    I didn't see Duck Dunn yet, did I?
    Yes, Oznob got him!

Last edited by Skywave-Rider; 02-22-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: OZNOB got him

New best young bassist

New best young bassist :

http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/Tal.html

Chest Pounding Bass!
    Dont know if we already have/had one of these threads (nothing came up on search?) but how about the Lowly BASS.
    As always the bass player rarely gets much attention and without them the Groove just wouldnt sound the same.

Lets not limit it to Rock for Jazz has had some great talent as well -
    and besides...We All Love Really Good Bass!

I'll start, one of my favorites has always been Stanley Clarke (kind of obvious but what the hey!) more of a jazz fusion thing but his early stuff is really amazing. Has featured a lot of great guitar players to complement his style...Jeff Beck, Bill Connors and John McLaughlin to name a few. His more recent stuff is a little tame, his 70's stuff is the ticket

I agree, Stanley Clarke - Lopsy Lu is a favorite of mine.

Bass playing made for JBL,s BIG WOOFERS!
    scottyj

Very Cool! I knew there would be a lot of names that I was not aware of and hopefully that would be of interest to many of us as well.

If you guys get a chance could you recomend an album or two if you have the time to do so, that would be very helpful as well. Thank you!

Rich, i remember you or Andyoz (Heather too) talking about Tony Levin and I got my wife the peter gabriel dvd and the guy was pretty amazing.
    I got East River Drive, there are some great songs in there but not the whole album like in the old days,
    "when its cold outside" from Hideaway if pretty hot as well, too short, he could do a 15min jam on that one

JE, its interesting that you mentioned sting and paul McCartney in your list and rightly so, sting is a really talented player as is paul (super talented bastage ), a lot of names Im not familiar with.

Oldmics
    "First bass player I ever saw who tastefully used a whammy bar."
    Now that is intersting, can you recommend an "album" that showcases this?

rs237, like the vinyl Stanley Clarke...nice!

Jeff Berlin, Jaco, Ron Carter, any particular cd's guys? Thanks!

dont forget Mr. Mingus!

i can only recomend "sailing the seas of cheese"by primus.
    les claypool on bass. nicely recorded ,their style is a little freaky though.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Tina Weymouth
    John McVie
    Charlie Hayden
    Steve Swallow
    Adam Clayton
    Bootsy Collins
    Rick Danko
    Phil Lesh
    Rick James
    Carl Radle
    Larry Graham

and how about
    Bill Wyman
    Roger Waters
    Brian Wilson

do you realy think these are great bass players or are you just summing up a lot of bass players
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Very Cool! I knew there would be a lot of names that I was not aware of and hopefully that would be of interest to many of us as well.

If you guys get a chance could you recomend an album or two if you have the time to do so, that would be very helpful as well. Thank you!

JE, its interesting that you mentioned sting and paul McCartney in your list and rightly so, sting is a really talented player as is paul (super talented bastage ), a lot of names Im not familiar with.
    I'll go back and add info to my old post as I have time.

+1 on Bernard Edwards, forgot him...there's a YouTube vid of him talking about the Power Station bassline for Bang A Gong, the first second you hear him start to play the groove or the solo, you know you can't touch that guy's technique. This is similar, but not the one I'm thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng

je

Wilbur Bascomb – played on the movie soundtrack of “Hair”, paired with drummer Bernie Purdie. Really worth a listen. Also played with Jeff Beck, James Brown, etc.

Geezer Butler – Black Sabbath

John Patitucci – lots of session work, electric and upright. I went looking for “who played THAT?!?” on some Was (not Was) and Bonnie Raitt tunes, but he’s all over the place.

Phil Chen – White City album, right? I first noticed him on “Star Fleet”, the Brian May/Eddie Van Halen project.

Larry Graham – Sly & the Family Stone. It’s tons of fun to watch and hear him on Prince’s Rave Unto the Year 2000 DVD, he’s just obviously having a ball.

Les Claypool – Primus

Sting – Police & solo

John Deacon - Queen

Geddy Lee - Rush

Norwood Fisher – Fishbone, other projects

Mike Watt – Minutemen, Ed from Ohio

Stu Hamm – Satriani, solo albums

Paul McCartney – who?

Graham Maby – Joe Jackson, other projects

John Paul Jones – Led Zeppelin & other projects

Marcus Miller – Bob James/David Sanborn album Double Vision introduced me, he’s on tons of other projects & solo stuff- always well-recorded, too.

John Entwistle – Who?

Victor Wooten – Bela Fleck & other projects

Lee Sklar – James Taylor and a gazillion other sessions. Can’t miss him on stage, nobody looks like him.

Dave Hope – earlier Kansas albums.

...and I'd forgotten Carl Radle, on the early Eric Clapton albums.

je

pelly3s
    I dont think anyone had mentioned Rocco Prestias from Tower of Power. Gotta give it up to Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers too. Jeff Pilson also ends up in my top list.

What about Bootsy Collins? His playing leaps out at you on the late 60s-early 70s James Brown albums, and there was a lot of interesting beats on the P-Funk and Bootsy's RubberBand albums afterwards. Emma thinks Prince owes a lot of his style to Bootsy!

If you don't have it already (and why not??) check out -
    http://www.amazon.com/Love-Power-Pea.../dp/B000001DWX
    Its a must-have live album from the Olympia in Paris, circa 1971 - apparently the only recording with Bootsy and the original JBs.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information