Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bass Players

Great list! enough there to keep one busy for a year at least. I know I'll be looking to get some of this stuff on cd in the near future.

Will add one more myself, Paul Denman, bass player on Sade's band, this guy and the guitar player Stewart Mathewman complement perfectly Sade's vocals. Both are very understated but man, some of those grooves are sooo friken good.

I was going to add Flea as well but pelly3s beat me to it.

How about Michael Anthony from Van Halen ......Nah! he's lucky he hooked up with those guys when he did

Skywave, "I didn't see Duck Dunn yet, did I?" was mentioned earlier. Tony Levin already came up and I myself am not that familiar with him but he is definitely a formidable player from the little that I've heard/seen so far.
    Just Play Music.

RIP 2009
    My favorite, (and I'm a bass player), is Kenny Gradney of "Little Feat", (he also played with Frank Zappa for a while). His playing doesn't come through on recordings that much, but live, he's a killer! He can also play "slap" bass with the best of them!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    My favorite, (and I'm a bass player), is Kenny Gradney of "Little Feat", (he also played with Frank Zappa for a while). His playing doesn't come through on recordings that much, but live, he's a killer! He can also play "slap" bass with the best of them!

John
    Great call on Kenny Gradney John. "Spanish Moon" is one of my favorite Little Feat songs and has a great bass line. He plays it masterfully!

Ron Wood

Ron Wood has specialized in lead and rhythm guitar, but check out his syncopated bass on "Street Fighting Man" on Rod Stewart's first solo album.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    do you realy think these are great bass players or are you just summing up a lot of bass players
    I think they are great. When a band is great, or at least has a great groove, the bass player is usually a large part of the reason. With the drummer the bass player is the rhythm section, after all.

Tina Weymouth - See the "Old Grey Whistle Test" appearance playing Psycho Killer

Charlie Hayden, Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham - all innovators of the highest order. Hear Charlie Hayden pioneering free jazz with Ornette Coleman

Steve Swallow is a first class jazz player who, like Hayden, can play anything well and most things much better than well. He defines the modern era in many ways and is all over its history.

John McVie - from John Mayall to Peter Green's FM to later, smooth Fleetwood Mac (he is the Mac), a really excellent bass player

Rick James - maybe you have never heard Super Freak

Phil Lesh - get past Jerry Garcia and hear a really awesome bass player. Stephen Stills wanted to be the Gratefull Dead's bass man, but as he said they already had Phil Lesh.

Adam Clayton, Rick Danko, Carl Radle, Brian Wilson, Roger Waters - they are not flashy and make it look so easy, no one noticed their playing. All great players in their roles.

Bill Wyman - a really special talent, completely ignored. The only Rolling Stone beside Brian and Charlie who could hear swing. The Stones sounded like the Stones because of him. By playing a tiny bit late, he imparted a real sense of time and rhythm, propelling the tunes in a really unique way. It is the usually undefined x-factor that gave classic Stones songs their sound, that sort of dragging yet pulling like a freight train feel.

I mentioned Tal Wilkenfield on the first page, but I must have buried it in senseless prose. Which I was trying to avoid by just making a list. I never seem to get it right.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

clifford lee burton
    known simply as cliff burton. metallica's first bass player and one of the best in the metal scene.
    his solo on the kill em all LP is legendary.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Jaco Pastorius is hands down my all time favorite, a fabulous musician that just happened to speak through the bass, but on a different bent, I just cannot believe no one has mentioned Mark King from Level 42...he's the absolute master of slap and funk, you won't (can't) believe he's a white english guy...Google Level 42, or Mark King and be prepared to be amazed..(if you're into that style..)the icing on the cake is he does all the lead vocals. Singing and playing in different time signatures...he has never ceased to amaze me...Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    Jaco Pastorius is hands down my all time favorite, a fabulous musician that just happened to speak through the bass, but on a different bent, I just cannot believe no one has mentioned Mark King from Level 42...he's the absolute master of slap and funk, you won't (can't) believe he's a white english guy...Google Level 42, or Mark King and be prepared to be amazed..(if you're into that style..)the icing on the cake is he does all the lead vocals. Singing and playing in different time signatures...he has never ceased to amaze me...Tim
    if Les Claypool was already mentioned why bother to talk about mark king
    Les is the king of slap and he sings to.

Bass players

I vote for:

Jack Bruce (Cream) try the title "Crossroads" and you know what I mean
    Gary McAvoy (Rory Gallagher)
    John Entwisle (Who)

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Krunchy, I have a particular Ron Carter album in mind but I have to dig up the title. Give me a day or two.
    I'm afraid this album may be hard to find. It is a 1977 Japanese vinyl release. My local Audio shop carries such records, so I am lucky in that regard. It is The Great Jazz Trio At The Village Vanguard Vol. 2, East Wind label 15PJ-1016. How's that for obscure? Hank Jones, piano. Ron Carter, bass. Tony Williams, drums.

You Asked about Fats Waller. I have two LP's I bought last year at the WGLT music sale, but I haven't listened to them yet. I'll try to rectify that and report. The Complete Fats Waller VOl. 1 1934-1935 Bluebird/RCA and Fats Waller Plays And Sings Jazztone J1247.

I just realized why people keep listing names I already mentioned. I must be on a lot of ignore lists! Rambling old fart that I am, if I were not me and I used ignore lists, I would probably be on mine.

Enjoy your new blue faced toys,

Clark

I just realized why people keep listing names I already mentioned. I must be on a lot of ignore lists! Rambling old fart that I am, if I were not me and I used ignore lists, I would probably be on mine.
    Clark
    Thats not it at all, you pop up some great stuff to find!
    I just figure a lot of folks drop in a thread and just read the top page -and have no idea what was said in the 20 pages that preceded it.

Besides, you're not rambling, you're eclectic!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Gosh, shucks, Heather... Thank you so much. But I am really an old fart.

I don't take any offense at repeat listings of music people like. It is so nice to know that it is not a case of some old guy - "the one down the street with the speakers and the strange tube thingies" - being the only fan of an otherwise forgotten or overlooked talent. Threads like this make me feel good all over when I have heard of the artists, and when I haven't. It's all about the music, after all. There is nothing sadder than a great rig and nothing to play on it, except perhaps having no one to share our discoveries with.

I'm not having much luck finding out more about Harvey's man, Abe Laborial. I am locating more information about his son, who plays drums very well I guess.

Clark

I'm afraid this album may be hard to find. It is a 1977 Japanese vinyl release. My local Audio shop carries such records, so I am lucky in that regard. It is The Great Jazz Trio At The Village Vanguard Vol. 2, East Wind label 15PJ-1016. How's that for obscure? Hank Jones, piano. Ron Carter, bass. Tony Williams, drums.

You Asked about Fats Waller. I have two LP's I bought last year at the WGLT music sale, but I haven't listened to them yet. I'll try to rectify that and report. The Complete Fats Waller VOl. 1 1934-1935 Bluebird/RCA and Fats Waller Plays And Sings Jazztone J1247.

Enjoy your new blue faced toys,

Clark
    well ive tried but you seem te ignore my ignore list
    i always wondered what a "rambling old fart" would sound like.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    i always wondered what a "rambling old fart" would sound like.
    I am not sure I want to know myself, but a rambling old fart's fart would sound better on JBL's or Altecs, I'm sure. Best bass speakers on Earth, as we all know. This is a category of bass players that remains largely unrecorded, but live performances abound and are usually free of charge.

The Wavehounds Fart Machine software is sadly no longer available, but it did sound great on 4345's when it was.

Life is such a gas, man...Clark

Thread Information