Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4355 as a center and sub

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    And what would thoses new horns be?
    That depends on who's asking.

The horns on my short list are JBL 2397/Smith/Westlake horns, Altec 511s (treated), round tractrix horns, and some of the TAD horns. Of course there are others and they vary with application.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That depends on who's asking.

The horns on my short list are JBL 2397/Smith/Westlake horns, Altec 511s (treated), ........

Widget
    2397 would be nice if I could get them, then again I could make some if i had some plans. 511's? Dont ever want to go there again. I have a lot of bad memories using those 511's and 811's in professional applications. Maybe treated they would be better.

511's? Dont ever want to go there again. I have a lot of bad memories using those 511's and 811's in professional applications.
    Yeah, me too! But I have heard them sound pretty good in the right hands.

2397 would be nice if I could get them, then again I could make some if i had some plans.
    I did a couple of quick searches...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...21&postcount=4

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...397#post189992

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yeah, me too! But I have heard them sound pretty good in the right hands.

I did a couple of quick searches...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...21&postcount=4

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...397#post189992

Widget
    EARLY ELDORADO 1973, Altec 811, and 511,s, SHRILL, piercing, screechy.

Later, low power, better SS amps, and processing provided sweeter sound. But, JBL HF and Comp drivers took me by storm.

These days, my focus and energy are directed to making TODAYS music and playback mediums sound great. Much as I love vintage and vinyl, it aint whats for dinner tonight.

Welcome to the " DIGITAL DINING ROOM ", clean electronics and drivers only.
    scottyj

Me I liked the old 2344, that is my favorite JBL horn from that time frame. You can get 2370's to sound better balanced by using a low value bypass cap to help bring up the last 2 octaves. They were a very popular horn in SR cabinets so they can get a bad rap from that alone. Take a look at the Pi Speaker site. Wayne used to use the 2370 quite a bit. If you take a look at his networks you can see how get's a little extra out of them up high.

I am using all PT Waveguides now but was thinking hard about trying to get hold of a pair of Geedes horns or Dr Edgars round tractrix horns. I have not heard Geedes horn but have heard the good Dr's. They sound damn nice, I just like a wider sweet spot. Other than that I would have a pair.

Rob

Im looking into changing to DDS fiberglass CD horns, 110 degree H by 40 degrees V dispersion, the TAD and premium JBL drivers sound good on these. And I can fit them in.

I think I am putting 2395,s to sleep this spring.

Height is a factor, corner horns only have 2in clearence to steel grid.

The TAD 4002 works really well with this horn. DDS makes nice horns.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Me I liked the old 2344, that is my favorite JBL horn from that time frame. You can get 2370's to sound better balanced by using a low value bypass cap to help bring up the last 2 octaves.
    Rob

Agreed, when mated to 2425Js, I was able to do an HF by-pass to tweek the "keeper crossovers" to dial in the HF and it was a far cry better than without. I could actually get the highs from the 2370s smoother than the P.Audio PH-230 (semi-cheek replicas). Both horns used totally different by-pass schemes to each achieve their smoothest settings.

2344's with 2425's would be nice. Are the P-audio horns worthy to have a 2425 hanging on the back? The 2425's and 2370's that I have are the first JBL's that I ever purchased. Way back in 1984 I think. They still have their original diaphragms! I have them well tamed but I am sure they could be better.

2344's with 2425's would be nice. Are the P-audio horns worthy to have a 2425 hanging on the back?
    Matter of opinion I would guess. The P.Audio horns work fine for me and at ~9" x 9" they will fit in lots of places that the true butt cheeks won't.

As expected, I got a little more low freq extension out of the 2370s, and properly tweeked, they were a little smoother at the top. But the P.Audio horns are fairly smooth in their working range (Zilch has plots) and the WAF of the 2370 horns hanging under the cabinet was much worse. However, I must say that the bass response with the 2370s was better due to the additional interior cabinet volume that was subsequently taken up by the horn/driver.

Don't expect to use the same HF compensation with the P.Audio horn as the 2370. If your crossover is taylored to the 2370, you would want to re-tweek it for the P.Audio horn. I was able to accomplish this using my Behringer RTA. (See regardless of overall quality or signal degradation, they do have a valid use even if not actually in the audio chain.)

So after a lot of thought I am still tending toward a 4355 type cabinet with a different top end configuration. I dont think the fact that the center will not go deep, will really be a problem as I can put the center bottom end into the sub anyway. i think I will throw together a mockup and see what it looks like.

Thread Information