Thread: Behringer FBQ2496 feedback destroyer used for parametric EQ of SUB BASS

JBL 4645

Smile Behringer FBQ2496 feedback destroyer used for parametric EQ of SUB BASS

Yes that’s right used as parametric EQ for sub bass.

It’s a bit of pig’s ear that takes a bit of getting used to, to get the Behringer FBQ2496 to act as a parametric EQ for the sub bass.

Well I practically gave up with it last December or was it late November? No matter I shall continue. Some have had good success with this model and its predecessor the DSP1124P as an affordable [sub bass EQ] solution.

I noticed that with the two sub bass speakers that I use one for extension of the lower octaves from LCRS [left centre right and surrounds] into one sub bass speaker, while the larger one is used for LFE.1 only with movie soundtracks. Well the issue that I kept getting was the EQ settings where the same on channels A & B.

After twigging onto it, I realized I shouldn’t keep the [left and right] EQ programmer in ((stereo)) mode this was only sending the same programming data that I was inputting.

The frequency bands that I programmed into the BFQ2496 are as follows for both channels A and B.

1 211Hz
    2 200Hz
    3190Hz
    4 180Hz
    5 170Hz
    6 160Hz
    7 151Hz
    8 141Hz
    9 130Hz
    10 120Hz
    11 111Hz
    12 100Hz
    13 90.3Hz
    14 80.5Hz
    15 70.1Hz
    16 60.3Hz
    17 50.2Hz
    18 40.3Hz
    19 30.2Hz
    20 20.0Hz

For example the level of the frequency that I wanted to reduce or increase along with the shape of the frequency was all being sent to the next channel. Plus I noticed some form of feedback as if the sub bass had a delay, so when I pursed the DVD I’d hear a sound kinder of echoing away with a time of 1 second.

Well I’ve revised over it again without the use of the owner’s manual because it reads like stereo instructions for a foreign language that I can’t grasp or understand. As long as the unit is working and no there isn’t any [radio interference from the BBC] coming though the FBQ2496, hopefully?

The programming of the channels is displayed here. I use the rotary dial that is placed next to the power on power off switch on the right-hand-side, to select the frequency that I want displayed for parametric EQ use.

I’ve still got limited use between monitoring the frequency spectrum with my [Techincs SH-8055] GEQ that has an RTA display I need more precise monitoring of the RTA and that won’t happen until I install a DEQ2496 that’s being talked to death in the forums.

This was how it was at the previous home

And this is how it is now at present.

There is even a site where they discuss in great lengths about implementing the Behringer FBQ2496 feedback destroyer and the DSP1124P.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfd-forum/

One little nitpick is the display I would have liked it if Behringer had a LCD display so that I can see the shape of frequency curve from [narrow to wide] but this unit was never intended for sub bass use in home cinemas, but its proved to be quite a useful device over the past few years.

The bass range is a bit smoother and still I’d like a tiny bit more in the upper portion of frequency response, not too much so that it clouds or colours the overall frequency response otherwise I’d be overwhelmed by noisy sub bass tones.

Changing the shape of the frequency I believe it’s this button that changes or alters the size of the tone.

Then by using the rotary dial and listening to the sound of the tone transformer shape from wide and narrow, that’s the impression I’m getting from it.

Test tones I have are ether logarithmic frequency sweep from 10Hz to 20 KHz all channels, via the dts music and demonstration set-up disc CD. Or I can use the spot frequency tones via my Denon CD test disc, or I can patch a long lead into the room from the pc to the AUX input on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select and use the stereo modes and Dolby pro-logic modes, with tones being sent from the TureRTA via its own sound generator.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ? HOW CAN YOU PUT behringer on a such respectable web site as audioheritage ? stop please ! it's a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

It’s a bit of pig’s ear that takes a bit of getting used to, to get the Behringer FBQ2496 to act as a parametric EQ for the sub bass.

Well I practically gave up with it last December or was it late November? No matter I shall continue. Some have had good success with this model and its predecessor the DSP1124P as an affordable [sub bass EQ] solution.

I noticed that with the two sub bass speakers that I use one for extension of the lower octaves from LCRS [left centre right and surrounds] into one sub bass speaker, while the larger one is used for LFE.1 only with movie soundtracks. Well the issue that I kept getting was the EQ settings where the same on channels A & B.

After twigging onto it, I realized I shouldn’t keep the [left and right] EQ programmer in ((stereo)) mode this was only sending the same programming data that I was inputting.

The frequency bands that I programmed into the BFQ2496 are as follows for both channels A and B.

1 211Hz
    2 200Hz
    3190Hz
    4 180Hz
    5 170Hz
    6 160Hz
    7 151Hz
    8 141Hz
    9 130Hz
    10 120Hz
    11 111Hz
    12 100Hz
    13 90.3Hz
    14 80.5Hz
    15 70.1Hz
    16 60.3Hz
    17 50.2Hz
    18 40.3Hz
    19 30.2Hz
    20 20.0Hz

For example the level of the frequency that I wanted to reduce or increase along with the shape of the frequency was all being sent to the next channel. Plus I noticed some form of feedback as if the sub bass had a delay, so when I pursed the DVD I’d hear a sound kinder of echoing away with a time of 1 second.

Well I’ve revised over it again without the use of the owner’s manual because it reads like stereo instructions for a foreign language that I can’t grasp or understand. As long as the unit is working and no there isn’t any [radio interference from the BBC] coming though the FBQ2496, hopefully?

The programming of the channels is displayed here. I use the rotary dial that is placed next to the power on power off switch on the right-hand-side, to select the frequency that I want displayed for parametric EQ use.

I’ve still got limited use between monitoring the frequency spectrum with my [Techincs SH-8055] GEQ that has an RTA display I need more precise monitoring of the RTA and that won’t happen until I install a DEQ2496 that’s being talked to death in the forums.

This was how it was at the previous home

And this is how it is now at present.

There is even a site where they discuss in great lengths about implementing the Behringer FBQ2496 feedback destroyer and the DSP1124P.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfd-forum/

One little nitpick is the display I would have liked it if Behringer had a LCD display so that I can see the shape of frequency curve from [narrow to wide] but this unit was never intended for sub bass use in home cinemas, but its proved to be quite a useful device over the past few years.

The bass range is a bit smoother and still I’d like a tiny bit more in the upper portion of frequency response, not too much so that it clouds or colours the overall frequency response otherwise I’d be overwhelmed by noisy sub bass tones.

Changing the shape of the frequency I believe it’s this button that changes or alters the size of the tone.

Then by using the rotary dial and listening to the sound of the tone transformer shape from wide and narrow, that’s the impression I’m getting from it.

Test tones I have are ether logarithmic frequency sweep from 10Hz to 20 KHz all channels, via the dts music and demonstration set-up disc CD. Or I can use the spot frequency tones via my Denon CD test disc, or I can patch a long lead into the room from the pc to the AUX input on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select and use the stereo modes and Dolby pro-logic modes, with tones being sent from the TureRTA via its own sound generator.

Quote Originally Posted by organeu View Post
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING ? HOW CAN YOU PUT behringer on a such respectable web site as audioheritage ? stop please ! it's a mistake.
    To each, their own. Some really like the stuff. :dont-know

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    To each, their own. Some really like the stuff. :dont-know
    I like it because it doesn’t cost a fortune.

Its always a tradeoff, or,price point, as MR G is known to say ...

You trade off a bit more noise and lesser expectations for a lower price ...
    or you don't ...

Some folks buy more expensive gear, but buy it used ...
    They trade off factory support for a price ...

And some buy higher end stuff and write it off because its for their business ...

and some buy high end stuff for their hobby ... and some don't (!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its always a tradeoff, or,price point, as MR G is known to say ...

You trade off a bit more noise and lesser expectations for a lower price ...
    or you don't ...

Some folks buy more expensive gear, but buy it used ...
    They trade off factory support for a price ...

And some buy higher end stuff and write it off because its for their business ...

and some buy high end stuff for their hobby ... and some don't (!)
    Or then again you might have severe ear damage tinnitus so what’s the point in high end, now then.

Also I took picture with my dads phone camera 5.0 mega pixel and the image was like looking at third generation VHS copy!

My tiny 3.0 mega pixel camera not so bad for picture taking yet its dreadful for taking video footage inside the room.

The phone camera is ideal for inside and outside video footage with sound might I add.

Again I trade one artefact for another.

As for FBQ2496 its not a bad price and does a good fair but easy task for what it is.

Yours is all odds and bits knocked together, if it works don’t knock it.

I like it because it doesn’t cost a fortune.
    That, is true!

1 211Hz
    2 200Hz
    3190Hz
    4 180Hz
    5 170Hz
    6 160Hz
    7 151Hz
    8 141Hz
    9 130Hz
    10 120Hz
    11 111Hz
    12 100Hz
    13 90.3Hz
    14 80.5Hz
    15 70.1Hz
    16 60.3Hz
    17 50.2Hz
    18 40.3Hz
    19 30.2Hz
    20 20.0Hz
    So, Ashley...

What is the crossover frequency you are using for your "sub bass"? I would think much of the listed filters would be outside the range?

And, what are the gains used at each filter - or is everything being handle "auto"? Just curious...

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    That, is true!

So, Ashley...

What is the crossover frequency you are using for your "sub bass"? I would think much of the listed filters would be outside the range?

And, what are the gains used at each filter - or is everything being handle "auto"? Just curious...
    bop

It’s handled manually and the filters are totally different to that. That was last year, no year before I think?

use a velodyne sms-1

with a 600 wpc bridged mono amp and get shattering bass and flat output from your 2245H sub....
    Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

or a DBX driverack 260

More expensive, but able to EQ two channels at the same time, as well as digital time delay, etc . A lot more expensive than the Behringer, but then, its Harmen, so what did I expect.

Next up...4 or 5 of these controlling each of the channels to tri-amp all the speakers in my system.

Running 3 amps at 600 wpc each into into an SR4719 (w/2 x2240H's), and a DIY 2245 sub. Shattering bass is an understatement.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Thread Information