Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 3 as a BluRay Player - audio decoding questions

PlayStation 3 as a BluRay Player - audio decoding questions

Hi all,

I'm considering picking up a PS3 as opposed to a Sony BDP-S1. Why? It seems I get a whole lot more product for the $$$....even if performance isn't up to the BDP-S1, I imagine it will still be a big step up compared to upscaled DVD from my DVP9000ES...which i'm keeping in the system no matter what, as it's the best CD player I've yet to hear.

My question is to anyone who has used a PS3 as a source.....how satisfied are you with it as a BluRay player? Also, will it "down-convert" to DolbyDigital or DTS?

I'm using a Sony TA-E9000ES as a processor.....will i be able to use this with the PS3, without headaches (optical input)? I do not have the ability to decode DTSes or DDex....and don't really feel that i need 7.1 etc, when 5.1 does the job very well.

Thanks!
    Frederick

From the Sony Manual....

*1 A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1. Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio from the HDMI OUT connector.

*2 The system does not support output from DTS-HD 7.1 Ch.
    DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from 5.1 or a lower channel.

Apparently, if I select Optical out, all will mix down to 5.1, so I should be good from that standpoint.

Anyone have experience with the video/audio quality of the PS3?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by UreiCollector; 02-13-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: changes
    Frederick

It's a lot better than anything I have viewed before. At the time I bought my PS3 the Blue Ray stand alone CD player was almost twice the cost. It was a no brainer......still is to me. I honestly cannot tell the difference in audio between the PS2, XBOX, or any other dedicate DVD players.

RIP 2009
    For a recent flight I picked up a Home Theater magazine for something to read, (I'll see if I can find it). Snobs though some of the reviewers were, they picked the Playstation PS3 as the Blu-ray player of choice! As for connection details - I can't remember if they talked about those or not...

John

Thank you for the response guys! I'm going to go ahead and pick one up, once I can get it through my "purchasing department". I may just buy, and then beg for forgiveness though....

I've spoken to a couple of co-workers who own the PS3, and they seem pleased with it too.

Thanks again!
    Frederick

RIP 2009

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    I'm using a Sony TA-E9000ES as a processor.....will i be able to use this with the PS3, without headaches (optical input)? I do not have the ability to decode DTSes or DDex....and don't really feel that i need 7.1 etc, when 5.1 does the job very well.
    Unless you have a very large room I agree with you that 5.1 is all you need. In fact I'd bet that more 7.1 systems sound worse than they would if they were set up in 5.1... not to mention that most movies are mixed in 5.1 and the 7.1 mix is only synthesized.

All that said, I don't think you can get the high def audio out of the PS3 without using HDMI. I think you will have a lower rez 5.1 mix.

Widget

Interesting points.

The player can send out digital via optical to decode (7.1 capability I have read), and it sends out analogue audio via the HDMi and a special multipin mini scart that holds 2 channel audio and the component video.

In the settings it says it decodes 48 k, 24/88/196.(I have not studied it too closely)

I have only used the Playstation a bit and the video (non blue ray disks) and 2 channel Dolby appear excellent. The Cd play back output analogue 2 channel appears also very good (dyanamic and clear) but I have not had an opportunity to critically assess that yet. I am use it as a Cd transport..not sure yet.

Wiith a wonder box that can decode no doubt the results would be quite good.

As multipurpose device I think its hard to beat.

From a $$ to feature standpoint, I don't think there is any competition.

My understanding is the 7.1 comes out on HDMI (which I will not be able to access), and the 5.1 on optical.

As far as sample rates go, I'm not sure what comes out on the optical. I'm guessing they down-convert to DD. I'm really hoping for 192/24, but do not know....and I'm not sure at this point what the TA-E9000ES will be able to decode....still have some reading to do, havn't pulled the manual out in years.....

It makes me happy to hear that everyone is happy with the video quality thus far, that was my biggest concern.

I have to agree with Mr. Widget, I'm betting a lot of 7.1 systems just don't sound any better than 5.1, and may infact sound worst.....more is not always better.....
    Frederick

2nd thoughts

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/02...lu-ray-player/

Looks as if the PS3 does not support DTS-HD along with some other shortcomings. Hmm.....
    Frederick

I guess a "game machine" is not intended for hi-fi use anymore than a hi-fi product is intended for gaming.

Different quality's is needed for the desired end result.

I think the correct term is Home Entertainment.

HiFi is such a broad term and is open to wide subjective interpretation.

For example I dont consider anything less than a Passlabs X250.50 to be Hifi and I am entitled to hold that opinion. On the otherhand I dont consider DVd, DTS or Dolby Digital playback to be Hifi but I find it quite enjoyable home entertainment.

The reason for various audio options only be channelled in HTMi in the Playstation 3 is that the newer games support 7.1 for example and they are usually played on a wide sreen that supports HTML

The machine does however support digital optical out and does have an option DVD/Cd a remote that I also use so it can be used as a CD/DVd player.

The load up time is much faster than any DVD player.

From my point of view I did not see the point of buying just another DVD (blue ray or HD ) player and this machine does so much more incl www downloads and the whole mp3 thing.

I expect I will acquire a 40 inch full HD 1080 compliant flat sceen in a few months so if I see a Blue Ray disk I like it should work well.

I agree in much of what you are saying Ian. To me home entertainment is very different than hi-fi. And yes, it is fun to play "Concert for George" in DTS on my 52" screen, but it is not hi-fi.

I really don't watch many movies. Most is being watched from movie channels and I buy maybe 10 - 15 DVD's a year, and that is why most of my money spent on this hobby in in the 2ch setup.

You feel that Passlabs is the only suitable amps, and that is fine with me. I believe there are other brands on the marked also witch is as good or better. I also have strong opinions on some issues, as you have.

Just to add my 2c worth, I had a long chat with one of the leading audio gurus whilst in Japan recently. He has been experimenting running the HDMI out of the PS3, then converting to spdif and feeding his favourite DAC. In his opinion, the PS3 is the finest CD transport he has used and easily bested the $25K Pi Tracer he compared it to.

It's worth remembering that Sony intended the PS3 to be a high quality audio platform from the start and designed it to appeal to serious audiophiles (well OK they forgot to take the name off and get a Six Moons review but you get my drift).

As a BluRay player I find it highly satisfactory and of course it is upgradeable via regular firmware updates. Frankly it's a steal whereas all the other players are daylight robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    In his opinion, the PS3 is the finest CD transport he has used and easily bested the $25K Pi Tracer he compared it to.
    OK, but how much influence does a transport really have in the first place? I completely agree that DACs matter and especially at the output of the DAC where we are talking about analog, but a transport? Once you get them out of the dirt aren't they all petty much the same?

The best thing about the PS3 is that it is a bit quicker to spin up a disc. Most of the Blu-ray players take so long to load, I have finished my popcorn and lost interest in the film before the film begins.

Widget

Thread Information