Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urei JBL 813B

Smile Urei JBL 813B

Hi I have owned a pair of these speakers for many years but have never been totally satisfied with them. I power them with a pair of Yamaha PC2602Ms power amps via a very simple pot as a volume control. The Yamahas put out 800 watts each into 8 ohms mono mode.
    I have been looking to upgrade the base units or to add a subwoofer as the speakers are free standing and seemed base light.
    Getting to the crux of my post I recently brought some ATC SCM 35s hooked them up to a Onyko 605 AV amp and was astounded by what I was hearing deep controlled base with massive control and just clear as a bell.
    Couldn't wait so I hooked them up to my main power amps the Yamahas disappointed ! Ok hooked up the Urie JBLS to the AV amp, unbelievable I have never heard such tight control clear top and and plenty of base response.
    Now I'm not a great lover of domestic consumer electronics but just try that little AV amp and I think you will be amazed no need for that subwoofer. Anyone want to buy a pair of ATCs no where near the 813Bs for sound quality!
    Dave

interesting you made the UREI vs. ATC comparison, cause you can read about these examples right there:

http://www.resolutionmag.com/pdfs/SWEETS~1/LOWFRE~1.PDF

about urei and soffit mounting:

http://bobhodas.com/pub3.html

Thanks reasdswift yes my own opinion as well I actually brought the ATCs for my AV set up.
    I am just astounded at the quality of the output from the AV amp and its control is rock solid. Im not all that keen on the domestic HiFi scene with its huge hype. Has anyone else hooked up this amp to quality speakers? Just try it and I think you will be astounded as I am.
    Ive also got rid of my Meridian Cd player and Dac, I just run my input from the computer via a professional Dac , its never sounded better Im busy going through my music collection listening to it all again in wonder!
    Try the Onyko 605 AV amp on demo or the 875 I would be interested to hear some one else's opinions.
    Thanks
    Dave

DAC !

Hi David,

what dac are you using ?

Rich

I once had a Yamaha M-45 amplifier and was astounded at how downright AWFUL it sounded. It was pretty to look at with that nice LED power meter on the front.....but I couldn't get it out of my system fast enough. Yuck!

As far as today's AV receivers go....they have come a long way, I can't disagree. I'm still using my Hafler's though, as AV receivers havn't come that far yet. =)
    Frederick

Hi Rich Im using the SM Pro ADDA 192-S two-channel, 24-bit, 192-kHz AD/DA converter.
    Im sure there are others out there which are better but it is cost affective.
    I had some £1700 of outdated Cd Dac from Meridian which didn't even sound as good as the computer. On the forums the guys were messing about soldering new Dacs onto there high end sound cards so a separate Dac seemed a much better solution.

Uriecollector : I would love someone to hook up a Onkyo and give me an opinion I think you would be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    Has anyone else hooked up this amp to quality speakers? Just try it and I think you will be astounded as I am.
    Ive also got rid of my Meridian Cd player and Dac, I just run my input from the computer via a professional Dac , its never sounded better Im busy going through my music collection listening to it all again in wonder!
    Try the Onyko 605 AV amp on demo or the 875 I would be interested to hear some one else's opinions.
    Are you talking about the Onkyo TX-SR605? I have not heard this particular model, but all of the Onkyo, Integra, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. AVRs that I have heard up to and including their several thousand dollar models have sounded very constricted and unpleasant through good speakers when listening to music with no visuals to distract you. For movies, they are mostly pretty good, but even then if you use the pre-outs to separate amps with actual power supplies and transistors (or tubes ) the sound improves even further.

Widget

Mr Widget must agree with you it was only the fact I had them all in the same room that I decided to give it a try. It produces a very good sound well above its price.

Hey, I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I am just so disappointed that a basic 30 year old Marantz receiver kicks the butt of almost all of today's surround receivers. The need to pack so much into these things and keep the cost down has led to processors and amps that are just not that great.

Widget

OK so what power amps do you recommend? The problem is that older amps have issues it seems with capacitors slowly deteriorating and the fact that the power required to fit in transients is 800w per channel? Any of the professional amps up to much? The Yamaha's sounded dogs in there normal mode but were transformed when run as monoblocks.

Buy British

Dave,

I didn't ......... Check out MC2 , Bryston, K2. Forget bridging, Just get mono blocks. Whats your budget.

And, watch that Mr Widget character , he has expensive tastes

Rich

Hi I have owned a pair of these speakers for many years but have never been totally satisfied with them. I power them with a pair of Yamaha PC2602Ms power amps via a very simple pot as a volume control. The Yamahas put out 800 watts each into 8 ohms mono mode.
    I have been looking to upgrade the base units or to add a subwoofer as the speakers are free standing and seemed base light.
    Getting to the crux of my post I recently brought some ATC SCM 35s hooked them up to a Onyko 605 AV amp and was astounded by what I was hearing deep controlled base with massive control and just clear as a bell.
    Couldn't wait so I hooked them up to my main power amps the Yamahas disappointed ! Ok hooked up the Urie JBLS to the AV amp, unbelievable I have never heard such tight control clear top and and plenty of base response.
    Now I'm not a great lover of domestic consumer electronics but just try that little AV amp and I think you will be amazed no need for that subwoofer. Anyone want to buy a pair of ATCs no where near the 813Bs for sound quality!
    Dave

Hi Dave,

Any chance of a pic?

Its seems you have identified something by accident and you appear better off for it!

One possible reason is the Yamaha may not fair as well being driven from a passive (pot) volume control as this represents a relatively high source impediance and you maybe loosing some bandwith with capacitance on the input cables.

The Onkyo may well perform better at low levels. I use a Kenwood A/V amp and for movies and its fine. Under critical listening my seperates perform better but they are 20 times the price. These newer A/V amps pack a real bang for your buck. As for Marantz, in the early days they made a few good amps but most were Dogs thereafter. Soggy bass and unstable for driving 2235's is not my cup of tea. Some of their more recent Hi end stuff is very nice.

If you like what you hear that is all that matters.

Another potential reason for the subjective difference is running the big Yamaha at low levels is the most non linear region. If you drive it hard it will most likely sound a lot cleaner. Some parts could be aging as well.

The newer QSC power amp are quite respectable

Thanks for that Ian I was up till 2 in the morning I just sit and listened astounded, the clarity at the top end, its incredible and the base is tight as well. Maybe Ive hit on a good combination with the DAC, cables and the Onkyo 605.
    My friend has a pair of the big JBLs in your picture powered by Threshold Amps, stunning sound but I found sound fatigue setting in after a while.

I will send pictures when I have a bit more time, just buried the dog and the wifes in hospital!
    Dave

UREI topic, can I chime in with some time Time Align™ stuff ?
    http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/CrossoverdocN.html

I'd use it with 4435 , what do you think?
    Amp idea ? I can choose between 80W Class-A and 400W class-D / side. ( for now ,on the long run i want both lol)

RIP 2009
    ...just buried the dog and the wifes in hospital!
    Are the incidents related? 'Thoughts are with you...

John

Thread Information