Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thorens H3lp ??

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Yeah, but how does it sound,
    Sounds just like my old Monkey Wards Airline mono portable (with handle and speaker) NOT.

I think that when you reach a certain level of quality, that a more expensive product is just flash & show, without any sonic improvements and no "bang for the buck". The Thorens is at the level where more money spend wud yield no further audio joy and with the substitution of a better cart shud last me a long time.

do you like it ?!
    YES

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    A Limited Edition metal-clad Thorens complete with a BiB dust bug!
    WOW!

Upgrade to the ADC ZLM MkIII (Shibata stylus) and you will be even more pleasantly surprised! Should work wonders with the BGW preamp...

Very good acquisition there Wolf!
    I am trying to buy quality gear that wont need to be upgraded or replaced in the foreseeable future . I think this fits the bill. The cart is fine, tho I mite substitute in the V-15t3 that is surplus from my electronically challenged Dual 701. It does work well with the BGW 203.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I think that when you reach a certain level of quality, that a more expensive product is just flash & show, without any sonic improvements and no "bang for the buck". The Thorens is at the level where more money spend wud yield no further audio joy and with the substitution of a better cart shud last me a long time.
    Looks like you've got yourself a nice combination there Wolf
    I like the metalic look but I would imagine you can always address it in the near future if you so desire, could be a nice little DIY, or better yet, just sit back & enJOY the music playing through it.
    Just Play Music.

Looks like you've got yourself a nice combination there Wolf
    I like the metalic look but I would imagine you can always address it in the near future if you so desire, could be a nice little DIY, or better yet, just sit back & enJOY the music playing through it.
    I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. Everything is oak or mahogany or teak or walnut, so I wud have preferred the teak base , but its hidden in an oak console , the price was right and I may sub in the TD-160 wood base left over from a salvage tt. toooo many projects..

Thats right! I forgot about your noble endeavor. I can see how this could become an issue in this light. The teak base might not be a bad idea then.
    The plastic I can see but the glass, thats a tough one, what about just regular drinking glasses, vases, utensils etc. those on the list too. I would think that would require a lot of vigilance, I like your ideals though.

Unfortunately many of todays products are severely lacking in substance and integrity (thats one of the reasons I like JBL's) there's too much fluff, but dont get me started on that road.

Things that are built with integrity enrich our lives.
    Just Play Music.

but the glass, thats a tough one, what about just regular drinking glasses, vases, utensils etc. those on the list too. I would think that would require a lot of vigilance, .
    I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. .
    And "BLACK ASH" cabinets....I mean really, that black vinyl wood grained crap looks like something salvaged from a house fire.

And "BLACK ASH" cabinets....I mean really, that black vinyl wood grained crap looks like something salvaged from a house fire.

I worked for a wood veneer supplier for a while and came across many woods that I fell in love with, stuff that I did not know even existed. In short I love most woods, no other material comes close to the beauty and warmth of wood.
    As for cutting these products out of your life I can see how that would be close to imposible. Like trying not to watch commercials when viewing the tv, its imposible, they are even on the PBS stations.
    Just Play Music.

Bravo to you, sir!
    I salute your vision and your noble plan to rid your home of the dreck of our "culture"!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I worked for a wood veneer supplier for a while and came across many woods that I fell in love with, stuff that I did not know even existed. In short I love most woods, no other material comes close to the beauty and warmth of wood. .
    SOMETIMES, when I'm in the area, I'll stop in to the exotic wood store and just browse...love those woods. I built all the towel bars, mirror frame and var. accessories in the bathrooms from oak (red oak) ..my desks are solid oak and chair is white oak (from the Hughes Aircraft Co.) , the house is mahogany trimmed and paneled, the whole LR set is teak that is stained to look like Rosewood (with inlaid Mother of Pearl) ...CANT STAND PLASTIC OR "BLACK ASH OR VINYL". I'll buy un-needed items in the store just because of the beautiful wood (Oregon has fantastic Myrtle Wood) ..part of the joy of our trip to Asia was all the great wood handycrafts in the stores. Been selling mahogany helos on da 'bay, and people absolutly love them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Bravo to you, sir!
    I salute your vision and your noble plan to rid your home of the dreck of our "culture"!
    HJ - I hope you are serious, never know when you are/are not.

Absolutely serious - I get American Bungalow magazine each month because we love the look of craftsman design homes. Our 1950s house has original hardwood floors on 2 levels. Notice that of the 5 pairs of speakers I currently own (L200s, 4341s, B-380 sub, L20T, 2 pr L60T) all are wood veneer cabinets, none are the black "ashwood". I may have glass tops on the large speaker cabinets, but its just to protect the wood. We have teak furniture all over the place.
    I swapped out nearly all the kitchen cabinet doors the previous owner painted white (!!) with original clear pine doors as some of my neighbors "updated" their kitchens.

I do kid a lot, I admit it, but not about that ...

HJ - I hope you are serious, never know when you are/are not.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As to the amount of anti skate, I wouldnt get to wound up about it. Just add enough that it will just begin to pull the arm back in when floating. (watch the stylus) Anti skate is greatly overrated and usually is set much too high. If you follow the "HIFI Test disc" it will be way too high. Plus, it varies from the beginning grooves as compared to the ending grooves.

I still use vinyl, never stopped. Current table is a full house Merrill/Scillia modded AR "The Turntable" with magnepan Unitrac tonearm.

I have a Black Widow also and will post a pic when I get home, as to see the difference in it and the Thorens arm.

Nice table by the way, I have never seen a metal plinth Thorens like that either!

Russellc

J.A.F.S.

Wood ??? No Way!

I've been on a crusade for about 20 years to rid my home of glass and chrome and plastic. Cant practically be done. Everything is oak or mahogany or teak or walnut, so I wud have preferred the teak base , but its hidden in an oak console , the price was right and I may sub in the TD-160 wood base left over from a salvage tt. toooo many projects..

What about riveted aluminum with O.D. Green spray paint..
    Great for the strategic hamlet...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Great for the strategic hamlet...
    I've moved ... to where you live , home of the A's & F's & B'sG's & W's (patiently waiting for the A's)

(( there's no space like Ohm ))

...CANT STAND PLASTIC OR "BLACK ASH OR VINYL".
    Well, you gotta at least make one exception, the black stuff that spins on that new Thorens of yours that vinyl is ok!

Your pad must be real nice Wolf, especially the look of all that mahogany moulding on the outside, I love that.
    Just Play Music.

Well, you gotta at least make one exception, the black stuff that spins on that new Thorens of yours that vinyl is ok!
    the licorice pizzas are kept in sleeves.

I bought walnut today....a gorgeous M&K sub and a SOLID walnut clock (wasnt my style, but cudnt leave it in the store ...came from some AT&T exec) ....oh yeah and a red/orange L-25.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...705#post200705
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I was looking at eBay auctions to research a differrent Thorens for sale and found this ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/THORENS-TD166-MK...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll snip some of his text and see if you all agree/disagree ??

"For openers, as our readers know all too well, we only recommend 3 Thorens Turntables: This TD166 MK-II, the TD150ab-II, and the TD 160-Super. Why? Simple---We've sold EVERY Turntable on the Planet at one time or another (and quite a few of each!), and these 3 will beat the pants off most ANY Turntable made today (yes, turntables ARE 'back', and pricier than a new car!) that can be had for $5,000.00 or less.

Further, included in this 'package' is one of the Finest Cartridges you could buy 20+ years ago and, when compared to the $800---$1,000 models available today, it wipes the floor with them! The Audio Technica 'Signet' TK5E is a Dual-Magnet Design that is Absolutely Neutral, Extremely Detailed, and Ridiculously DYNAMIC----all the while Sounding Warm, Spacious, & Rich, which you would expect from AT. "

Thread Information