Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thorens H3lp ??

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Mr. Seawolf! Looks like you are heading for an exciting weekend my friend, keep us posted.
    picked up a nice pair of Eclipse bookshelves - 3 ways in oak - today and a Technics TT and a Garrard type A tt (with owners manual) and came home just in time for a buyer to haul off my little Altec 887A's , giving me more than enough to cover the weekend delivery of the Thorens, NAD receiver , Sony CD and Bose's (still dont know the model,).
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

selling the little Altecs gave me exactly enuff for a pair of CS-88a's today, plus the TD280, NAD receiver, sony cd and the Bose speakers and all the record accessories.

The modified by Van Alstein TD 280 has a Grado (dont knwo which model) WITH THIS INTERESTING bar...balance weight ??
    Attached Images Attached Images    

spent the afternoon playing with the TD280. tracking very well at 1.5g . Doesnt have the sprung suspension that the TD166 has, but I cant hear the difference or notice any problems. I think that Van Alstein added iso feet and the weird cart bar. I have an email into them to ask what thats all about.
    The 280 does have end of record shutoff and arm lift , which I really like. It also has a "start" button, so you can leave it on the speed setting.

Up in the air right now about which one to keep and which one to let go...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    selling the little Altecs gave me exactly enuff for a pair of CS-88a's today, plus the TD280, NAD receiver, sony cd and the Bose speakers and all the record accessories.

The modified by Van Alstein TD 280 has a Grado (dont knwo which model) WITH THIS INTERESTING bar...balance weight ??
    That is Van Alsteins "Long horn Stabilizer". There is a lot of chatter on other forums about this little jewel, and others copying it. They used to cull through I forget which model of grado, but it was relatively inexpensive one, add this Longhorn stabilizer, and sell them for about 100 bucks. Many who have imitated this stabilizer have a lot of good to say about it. I think he also dampened the cartridge internally by putting some kind of goo or glue in there. See the "Audio circles" forums where van alstien has a forum for more info.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    That is Van Alsteins "Long horn Stabilizer". There is a lot of chatter on other forums about this little jewel, and others copying it. They used to cull through I forget which model of grado, but it was relatively inexpensive one, add this Longhorn stabilizer, and sell them for about 100 bucks. Many who have imitated this stabilizer have a lot of good to say about it. I think he also dampened the cartridge internally by putting some kind of goo or glue in there. See the "Audio circles" forums where van alstien has a forum for more info.

Russellc
    Thanx for the pointer ...http://www.audiocircle.com does go on about the "Longhorn Mod"..I understand now, tho dont think it sounds as good as the QLM32 mk3 on the TD166. May actually join that forum, seems like fairly knowledgeable guys (tho not up to the LHF levels )

I was reading the AVA also adds oil to the coils.

whilst doing my cleaning, I found a Nagaoka osawa OS-100MP cart with stylus in good condition ...very little on the web about it except this German translation ...worth mounting ??

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI....LanguageToggle

Nagaoka OS-100 MP: magnetic pickups, super-Permalloy-shielded, transmission range 20 Hz to 20000, effective mass of 0.85 mg Ubersprechdämpfung 25 dB at 1 kHz, transfer factor of 0.8 mVs / cm, the largest channel deviation 1.5 dB at 1 kHz, load impedance 30 Q, Nadelnachgiebigkeit 8 mm / N dynamic, 20 mm / N static, recommended tracking force 15 to 20 mN (optimally 18 mN), 5.5 g weight, material of the needle carrier aluminium; Price 89 DM

Abtastnadel: metallummantelter, ganzer Stein, konisch geschliffen, 15 µm Verrundungsradius
    Abtastnadel: metallummantelter, whole rock, tapered ground, 15 μ m Verrundungsradius

Nagaoka OS-100 MP
    Nagaoka OS-100 MP

Klanglich im wesentlichen ausgewogener, im Baß jedoch etwas üppig zeichnender magnetischer Tonabnehmer, durchschnittliches Abtastverhalten bei tiefen Frequenzen, recht gutes bei hohen Frequenzen, FIM-Verhalten nur mäßig, da zu großer vertikaler Spurwinkel, Frequenzgang und Obersprechdämpfung im gesamten Übertragungsbereich gut.

The sound basically balanced, but something lush bass zeichnender magnetic pickups, average Abtastverhalten at low frequencies, pretty good at high frequencies, FIM behavior only moderately, as too large vertical track angle, frequency response and Obersprechdämpfung throughout the transmission area well.
    Im Vergleich zum MC-30 ist das Klangbild leicht belegt, beim Abtasten einer Direktschnittplatte mit Klavier werden Impulse etwas abgerundet, so daß sie klingt wie eine normale Klavierplatte.

Compared to the MC-30 is the sound image easily demonstrated while sampling a direct interface plate with a little piano impulses are rounded so that it sounds like a normal piano plate.
    Guter magnetischer Tonabnehmer.

Good magnetic pickups.
    Hervorragende Preis-Qualität-Relation.

Outstanding price-quality ratio.

TECHNISCHE DATEN
    SPECIFICATIONS

Modell: OS-100MP
    Model: OS-100MP

Typ: Permalloy
    Type: Permalloy

Schwinganker
    Vibrating

Zweikanal
    Two Channel

Material:
    Material:

Abschirmgehäuse Super-Permalloy
    Abschirmgehäuse Super Permalloy

Außengehäuse Druckguß
    External casing pressure casting

Frequenzgang 20-20.000 Hz
    Hz frequency response 20-20.000

Effektive Masse der Nadelspitze 0,85 mg
    Effective mass of the needle tip 0.85 mg

Kanaltrennung 25 dB/1000 Hz
    Channel separation 25 Hz dB/1000

Ausgangsspannung 4 mv/1000 Hz
    Output voltage 4 Hz mv/1000

Kanalbalance 1,5 dB/1000 Hz
    Channel Balance 1.5 Hz dB/1000

Empfohlene Last 30 k-Ohm
    Featured last 30 k-ohm

Nadel 0,6 mil
    Needle 0.6 Mil

Diamant kegelförmig
    Conical diamond

Compliance (dynamisch) 8x10-6 cm/dyne
    Compliance (dynamic) 8x10-6 cm / dyne

Compliance (statisch) 20x10-6 cm/dyne
    Compliance (static) 20x10-6 cm / dyne

Auflagekraft 1,5-2,0 g (optimal 1,8 g)
    Circulation force 1,5-2,0 g (1.8 g optimally)

Hebelarm Aluminium
    Aluminium lever arm

Gewicht 5,5 g
    Weight 5.5 g

Ersatznadel N-100MP
    Styluses N-100MP

Thread Information