Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4345 bliss.

A Sally Field moment?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    After nearly a year, and as an update to this thread, I am pleased to say this pair of Rick's 4345BA reproductions are now sitting comfortably in my van in my driveway. NewZenith and I had an enjoyable evening going over their history and loading them up in CT last night. He couldn't have been nicer, more honest, or better to deal with. People like NewZenith are what make this site and this hobby so much fun. The 4345s arrived "home" just before 7am today. They'll be sitting for some time while I rearrange the entire house for their arrival, unfortunately, but it seemed like an opportunity that was just too good to pass up. Plus today's my birthday.

I hesitate to call these "clones", as they are (accurately) described in the "for sale" thread, and prefer to give credit where credit is due and refer to them as Riessen Reproductions. I believe Rick once suggested he should call them something that would include the black-ash customization in the model designation. I can't seem to find it so, until I'm corrected, I'll call them RR 4345BA Ser. No. 002. I know I didn't create them, nor could I have. I know where my talents lie. But I do appreciate the care that their former custodians have lavished upon them. NewZenith was very supportive and took several days to answer all my newb questions, completely, carefully, and so even I could understand. I hope I'm not in over my head and I'll be relying on new friends like NewZenith for advice and guidance while I get these acclimated to their new home.

The craftmanship is——as you've seen previously in this thread——simply amazing. The boxes are incredibly solid . . . and HEAVY!!! The current driver complement has seen some "adjustments" over the last year and is now nearly as-new "original" for a 4345, but retain the CC networks. Maybe some day they'll get some hot-rod-horn-driver up-grades, but for now I'm over my head enough as it is.

From this point forward, I'll probably take any questions to the 4345 Club thread, or other. Even if it is a club that might have me as a member!

Thanks to everyone who had a part in my JBL enlightenment, which is now in its fifty-second year. Those would include my Dad who purchased my original 030 57 years ago. My wife who smiled when I gave her a pair of L112s for our first anniversary 26 years ago. T-dome, who made me a believer in the 1990 L-series models. Ian, who called me a "tyre-kicker" every time I'd post about a pair of 4345s for sale. Kip Williams for not selling me his so I could have these. Everyone who has perpetuated the 4345 threads over the years that gave me ample reading and encouragement, including 4313B, Clark, Bo, Rob, Rich, Grumpy, Krunchy, Subwoof, Heather, Invstbiker, Triumph Don, Don M, SPWal, Dave, Zilch, HP, Widget, OpiMax. Don McR, Fred, GT, Rich, Maron, Tom (R.I.P.), JBLCanuck, Steve Gonzales, norealtaent, and Steve H who always rooted for me! And any others I may have left out by mistake.
    at the Academy Awards. Yes, we like you, we really like you.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    A Sally Field moment at the Academy Awards. Yes, we like you, we really like you.
    Well, after years playing out my personal quest for more-and-better JBL speakers in this public forum, including the hits and misses along the way, I feel like someone who just won a prize that perhaps they don't really deserve. I hope to enjoy them for a long while. Or maybe I'll find they're beyond my ability to manage. Once you step off that slippery slope from unmodified stock systems to DIY there seem to be three groups: Those who couldn't be more satisfied, those who can never be satisfied, and those who give up trying. I'm the third owner of this pair—in maybe three years. That alone gave me pause. Hopefully that's simply indicative of Type-A owners who love the challenge and, once they reach their goal, need another challenge. This thread was titled "4345 Bliss" and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    If I find such bliss, these 4345s aren't going anywhere else!

Obsolete
    Grats on your acquisition!

So that's where they went! Congratulations I hope you enjoy them.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

This thread was titled "4345 Bliss" and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    If I find such bliss, these 4345s aren't going anywhere else!
    Nah, don't even unpack them - like the L7s, you have to haul them to the next Listening Party ... you don't need them in the house before that, right?

Just kidding, but congratulations on a FINE birthday present and kudos to you!

So, when are YOU hosting a listening party down your way ...
    we can bring you beer and such if you're not the one driving home afterwards!

You've just joined the 4way horn club -
    and with such style!!

and ... you know its coming, you know what they say ...

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

After nearly a year, and as an update to this thread, I am pleased to say this pair of Rick's 4345BA reproductions are now sitting comfortably in my van in my driveway.

<SNIPS>

Thanks to everyone who had a part in my JBL enlightenment, which is now in its fifty-second year. Those would include my Dad who purchased my original 030 57 years ago. My wife who smiled when I gave her a pair of L112s for our first anniversary 26 years ago. T-dome, who made me a believer in the 1990 L-series models. Ian, who called me a "tyre-kicker" every time I'd post about a pair of 4345s for sale. Kip Williams for not selling me his so I could have these. Everyone who has perpetuated the 4345 threads over the years that gave me ample reading and encouragement, including 4313B, Clark, Bo, Rob, Rich, Grumpy, Krunchy, Subwoof, Heather, Invstbiker, Triumph Don, Don M, SPWal, Dave, Zilch, HP, Widget, OpiMax. Don McR, Fred, GT, Rich, Maron, Tom (R.I.P.), JBLCanuck, Steve Gonzales, norealtaent, and Steve H who always rooted for me! And any others I may have left out by mistake.
    Dude! I'm sensing a C'Ville trip in my near future...heckuva a birthday present for yourself, you did good.

je

Congratulations, I guess this is the end of your bottom feeder days.
    I hope you find they make a marked change in the amount of time spent listening to music.

Welcome to the club.

Nice. They are indeed most enjoyable for listening to music. Congratulations.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Congratulations, I guess this is the end of your bottom feeder days.
    What a total relief that he can remove that tag!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    What a total relief that he can remove that tag!
    I don't know about that. At the price NewHorizon was offering them, I still feel like a bottom-feeder and was quite surprised no one to whom that price would be simply chump-change hadn't already scooped them up. But then as discussed often on this site, this is not the place to sell TOTL stuff at top prices. NewHorizon knew that and really wanted these to go to someone who would appreciate them. Not really sure that's me, yet, but I figured if no one else was going to take him up on his generous offer, I might as well. Plus it was a good way to stimulate a contribution to this fine site!

Pictures at this point would be of the inside of a Plymouth mini-van. I have an Ashly XR-1001 on the way. And I don't know how I could spend much more time listening to music and still put food on the table for my family! I suspect the real change will be the quality of the program material I can listen to without hearing how bad it really is.

I really only bought the 4345s so I could tell you all how much better the L7s sound by comparison!

Bliss !

I suspect the real change will be the quality of the program material I can listen to without hearing how bad it really is.

I can't speak for other owners, but they are critical of poor recordings to my ears.

Rich.

Congrats on a very fine purchase. From what you wrote, it looks like the 4345's are now "original" so no 435Be's then? If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver. I thought the 4343 sounds pretty good in stock form and can't imagine how much better it could get with your optimized 4345.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by TnTn View Post
    From what you wrote, it looks like the 4345's are now "original" so no 435Be's then? If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver.
    I think putting a 435Be into a 4344 or 4345 is one heck of a waste of a really nice, expensive driver. That's exactly why I nixed the project. The aquaplased 2425H (or 275Nd) is perfectly acceptable and on par with the rest of the system components.

Quote Originally Posted by TnTn View Post
    If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver. I thought the 4343 sounds pretty good in stock form and can't imagine how much better it could get with your optimized 4345.
    Yeah, I'll just have to muddle through somehow!

NewZenith offered several alternatives, including TAD 2001's. Specific to the JBL Be's, he said the improvement was noticeable but the ratio of cost-to-benefit was subjective; plus it would require modification of the crossovers. It's pay-to-play, the TADs were very expensive, and NZ wasn't recommending either as necessary or even suggesting them as a real improvement. I consider my self damn lucky to have what I do have. Maybe I'll treat myself for my 60th birthday. But until then I plan on enjoying the 4345s the way they are, CC networks et al.

I'm not looking for sympathy. Remember, I'm just a "tyre kicker" and a "bottom feeder".
    (The actual quotes are slightly more colorful but the moderators previously asked me to remove them. )

I don't know about that. At the price NewHorizon was offering them, I still feel like a bottom-feeder and was quite surprised no one to whom that price would be simply chump-change hadn't already scooped them up. But then as discussed often on this site, this is not the place to sell TOTL stuff at top prices. NewHorizon knew that and really wanted these to go to someone who would appreciate them. Not really sure that's me, yet, but I figured if no one else was going to take him up on his generous offer, I might as well. Plus it was a good way to stimulate a contribution to this fine site!
    Congratulations!!!! I know you've had your eye on a pair of these and I am very happy to see that you scored these beauties, I remember when I first saw pictures of Riessen's work I was floored. & dont be surprised no one jumped on em, that just means they were meant to be yours!
    Are they in your home yet? Dont let them sit in your ride too long.
    You're gonna love the 4345+Ashly combo, so very nice!

I really only bought the 4345s so I could tell you all how much better the L7s sound by comparison!

A classic JBL is always a classic, regardless of model or price!
    (General Disclaimmer: your deffinition & expectations of classic may greatly vary from someone else's)

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information