Thread: 4430 L-pad Settings.

4430 L-pad Settings.

Being somewhat of a newbie.one of the fun things I find with my 4430's is that I can fool around with the L-pads and get a variety of sound output.

However it can also be very frustrating.The ear being the great equalizer that it is can adjust very quicky to changes.

I find that what sounds great one day doesnt sound so great when heard fresh the next day,especially when both L-pads affect the same driver.

Just wonder if those of you using 4430's could tell me what L-pad settings you generally end up with just as a comparison.I realise room placement and acoustics have a lot to do with this but I would appreciate any responses just the same.

Thanks'Joe

MF = Flat
    HF = ~+1.5

But my ears are getting old...

RIP 2009
    I'll check mine this evening. They were adjusted for flattest response according to basic RTA, and sound very good to me. Out of all the speakers I have, I still listen to the 4430's the most.

John

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I'll check mine this evening. They were adjusted for flattest response according to basic RTA, and sound very good to me. Out of all the speakers I have, I still listen to the 4430's the most.

John
    I'll look forward to that feedback John.

I generally run my left speaker at 0,0.

My right speaker according to Stereophile CD generated pink noise and a RS SPL Meter runs a little hotter so i have it set at approx.-3/4,-3/4.

RIP 2009
    Well, I just looked, and both levels on both my 4430's are set to "0". That makes me wonder if I've deviated from the RTA response - I honestly can't remember now... I'll try to do another RTA check in the near future.

John

The zero position is based on the speaker's placement in a controlled, anechoic chamber or room, to provide the flattest response/transition among the drivers. However, that's usually the last time any speaker is in that controlled an environment.

I learned a trick at JBL about setting the network. With white noise (between FM stations) playing, I turn the pots all the way off. Then, with my ear exactly half way between the frames of the woofer and the midrange driver, I slowly advance the midrange pot till the sound comes from the exact center of that space. Then move between the midrange and tweeter frames, and repeat the process. The cabinet is now set up as well as it can be in your environment, and everything else should be done with your tone controls.

I realize it's a little tougher on the 4430's because you don't have a seperate tweeter, but with a little practice, you can get it.

The curves are great for reference, but using them as a setup bible in your living room is a little like comparing apples to oranges. Remember, the were curved and graphed in the same controlled environment.

Bottom line is, it's gotta sound good to you. Hope this helps.

Rick

Thread Information