Thread: Router bit question for the woodworkers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scorpio

Router bit question for the woodworkers

Hi there woodworkers!
    I have a problem trying to use router bits with shank-mounted ball bearing, to shape wood pieces in order to build a radial horns. The wood is 1 1/2" thick ash, and the router bit is 1". I'm using this with a template to make the pieces, but somehow, I'm destroying the ball bearing, which ends up seized and not functioning, burning the wood because ofthe friction, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong? I only managed to shape two pieces before the bearing seizing, and I still have six more to do...

I rough shaped the pieces with a jig saw, leaving about 1/8" extra wood that I have to remove with the shaper. This ash is quite a tough wood to cut/shape, I wonder if I'm trying to cut too much in one pass, but this should only affect the cutting bit, not the bearing??????????

thanks for any advice,

PS - gone now for one week, so if any question, I'll get to them next week - thanks all for suggestions and for your patience if any Q's,

Cheers,

The bit, and shank, may be getting hot and cooking the bearing from the inside out. Try varying the feed rate or working it for short periods.

David

I agree with Dave... also there are bearing sprays that they sell at better saw shops that help keep the dust out and the bearings working.

BTW: If the bearings go they can be replaced... and should be. Are you using industrial bits or "weekend warrior" bits?

Widget

Gary L
    "Take Human Bites"! You may be attempting to do it all in one pass and over heating both the bit and bearing. Applying too much force against the bearing may also be the culprit.

Most of these bearings are sealed so the sprays do little to help.

Good quality bits and bearings are essential but very hard to find or distinguish these days.

Dull cutting bits get very hot very fast!

There should be no reason to hold the router and bit tight against the work piece and the rule is to allow the bit to do the cutting and to apply only the force necessary to keep the bearing on it's guide. You can make a few additional passes to do some cleanup.

If your router has adjustable speeds you might be running faster then necessary.

Lastly, if you have a 1/2" router collet then always use the largest bit for the job as less vibration will result.

Hope that helps.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Good quality bits and bearings are essential but very hard to find or distinguish these days.
    Quality bits do make a world of difference. I usually buy Amana router bits... they are expensive but last longer than most others that I have tried.

http://www.amanatool.com/

Widget

In Europe - UK

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Versofix_72.
    htmlhttp://www.titman.co.uk/premier_router_cutters.php

2 of my suppliers . I'm sure Germans must have a favorite too.

I'm starting to collect the cutter with the replaceable blades. They are expensive initially ,but the work out cheaper and more convenient. My 45 degree bearing cutter was about $100 ,but it has 2 square blades that can be rotated. That works out $ 25 per cutter - a packet of 10 new blades , $20.

You wont find good cutters at Home Base. Carbide only

Hope this helps someone

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    Hi there woodworkers!
    I have a problem trying to use router bits with shank-mounted ball bearing, to shape wood pieces in order to build a radial horns. The wood is 1 1/2" thick ash, and the router bit is 1". I'm using this with a template to make the pieces, but somehow, I'm destroying the ball bearing, which ends up seized and not functioning, burning the wood because ofthe friction, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong? I only managed to shape two pieces before the bearing seizing, and I still have six more to do...

I rough shaped the pieces with a jig saw, leaving about 1/8" extra wood that I have to remove with the shaper. This ash is quite a tough wood to cut/shape, I wonder if I'm trying to cut too much in one pass, but this should only affect the cutting bit, not the bearing??????????

thanks for any advice,

PS - gone now for one week, so if any question, I'll get to them next week - thanks all for suggestions and for your patience if any Q's,

Cheers,

Scorpio,

could you post pics of the set up and router your using.

Rich

Thread Information