Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooked my TI's on my XPL-200A's - OUCH :(

Cooked my TI's on my XPL-200A's - OUCH :(

Hi all,

I have some depressing news in that I'm pretty sure I've cooked my TI's, specifically the 046Ti's on both of my XPL-200's.

After making a modification on my meridian 568.2mm pre-amp/pro, I sent most probably about 80db or more or white noise through the speakers, which I'm pretty sure have cooked my 046Ti's.

My Father in-law, whom was sitting beside and behind the speakers about 3 meters away said he could smell something burning. I dismissed it striaght away thinking nothing's wrong becuase I couldn't smell anything myself but maybe the noise put me into shock mode.

The noise was quite loud and I thought mayber my top hearing went as well but listening to people seemed the same as this morning but after cranking up some Norah Jones, I cannot definitely hear anything from the 046Ti's best putting my ear next to them. The 093Ti's sound like they're still working but the the whole top end seems to be now completely missing.

I'm fearing that there's more damage done that I think and maybe the 093Ti's are damaged in some way or another.

In any case, I'm really pissed off with myself that this has happened.

Every time I make a setting change to my system, I usually have everythiing set to zero volume before cranking it up to check for any problems before cranking up the volume. This time I didn't do that thinking the change I made was ok but I overlooked one simple but complicated setting change that had to be done in the correct way that I had missed.

This has all come about like this because of the setting between the Lavry DA10 and the Meridian 568.2mm that I have made.

I am using the digital mains out on my Meridian and passing the signal out to the Lavry's Digital's input which then feeds into my 2ch amp.

I have to make sure that the Meridian is setup correctly to connect to the Lavry DA10 DAC, otherwise I get this one noise output and at high volume will kill any speaker dead in its track.

Unfortunately that's happened to me.

I'm only thinking now how expensive this little issue has just cost me and now I'm thinking whether or not having the Lavry DA10 maybe such a good idea because if everytime I make a change and I forget to make this important check, I'll be blowing up my tweeters or other drivers and I don't want to be doing that in a hurry.

I think I'm going to be learning my lessosn here very fast.

Anyway, my diagnosis starts here and I'm hoping to get as much help as I can on this and where to start my diagnosis.

One thing I want to know is, could it be that maybe something on the crossovers has cooked first before affecting the 046Ti drivers, or is this just wishful thinking hoping that it's not as serious as I''d hope it to be.

I'm not the electronics wiz here but I'm assuming that I should be removing the 046Ti's from the XPL's and running some tests using a mulitmeter?

I'm thinking that I should be removing all the drivers from each speakers and running some test? I wouldn't think that the woofers or mids would be affected but should these be checked or just the 093Ti's and 046Ti's?

God I'm sooooooo peeeeved with myself.....I can't believe this has happened to me.

This will eventually be asked but where's a good place to start sourcing 046Ti's and how much will they cost to replace?

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers or should I say sulking tears...

Pasadena.

That does truly suck.

If it were me, I'd check all four drivers in each speaker, then I'd pull out the crossover and check it. If in the odd chance the crossover went first, you don't know what it might have allowed through and to which drivers.

Then I'd stop farking around with that darned Lavry DAC. Combined with the Meridian it's lethal if not constantly kept under tight control. Well, I guess you know that...

Ok, Left and right 046Ti drivers are dead.

I get readings of 4.3ohms on the right 093Ti driver and 3.9ohms on the left 093Ti driver.

I'm assuming that there's some possible damage to the left 093Ti driver as well, meaning that there could be possible damage to the 2214H driver too?

Anyway, I'm going to have to start my hunt for some 046Ti drivers around the place and see what I come up with.

I might even ask G.T himself for some help on sourcing some drivers for me.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers
    Pasadena.

Looks like I missed out on a pair of 046Ti last month that went for just a tick over USD$100 a pair. Half my luck.

I'll just have to do the ol' waiting and looking around.

Thanks Ti for relinking your XPL200 Rehab thread. I noticed your XPL's came with the 095Ti variant drivers whereas my came with 093Ti's, which I'm assuming were a second generation, mine being the 200A's?

I was always meaning to stock up on spare drivers a long while ago but never imagined I'd need them now. Will just have to stock up this time and these will never last forever.

Cheers
    Pasadena.

I dod the same with my 035Ti's last year.

I sold new 046ti's last year.
    They should still be available.
    If you don't fear the shipping I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I dod the same with my 035Ti's last year.

I sold new 046ti's last year.
    They should still be available.
    If you don't fear the shipping I'll ask.
    Hi Guido,

If you don't mind, could you please ask. The 046Ti's aren't that big and weighty at all so I couldn't imagine them being that costly to send. Anyway, please do find out and let me know.

Thanks and cheers
    Pasadena.

Mark,

I sent you mail.

I can refer you to a local re winder as a last resort.

Ian

Can anyone tell me what sort of measurements I should be expecting from my XPL-200A drivers and what measurements are considered unacceptible and would indicate a driver replacement?

After looking at the XPL-200A tech sheet, it seems the drivers I've tested so far don't match the tech sheet, well, one in particular and that is the 046ti-1, where as mine is the 046Ti. 093Ti is the same as the tech sheet.

I haven't gotten to the other 2 mid and woofer drivers yet but I'm thinking they'll be the -1's and not the straight 2214H and 115h.

Maybe somewhere along the line, my 046Ti's replaced original 046Ti-1's for some reason or maybe that's how they came when originally built.

In any case, I'll be looking for driver spares for all of the above drivers but I'll have to check first what my mids and woofers are first before sending out what I need.

I feel a bit better now knowing that driver replacement are not so hideously expensive as I orginally thought. It's just a matter of finding them.

In the meantime, I've disonnected my XPL's and and just left my B&W Nautlius HTM1 centre running only, which does a fantastic job anyway. Something to be happy about.

Cheers
    Pasadena.

Sorry to hear your news, sh#t happens I suppose, no sense in beating yourself up about it. I cooked one of my 2122H's last spring and I am still waiting for my JBL dealer to recone it....

Quote Originally Posted by Pasedena
    I have some depressing news in that I'm pretty sure I've cooked my TI's, specifically the 046Ti's on both of my XPL-200's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Sorry to hear your news, sh#t happens I suppose, no sense in beating yourself up about it.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune .
    - I'll second Chas' advice .

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    I cooked on of my 2122H's last spring and I am still waiting for my JBL dealer to recone it....
    - I'm not surprised at your wait / what with our Cdn. distributor offering such stellar customer service ( and they wonder about the reasons for cross-border shopping ) .
    - What have you been doing in the meantime to get by ?

[quote
    - I'm not surprised at your wait / what with our Cdn. distributor offering such stellar customer service ( and they wonder about the reasons for cross-border shopping ) .
    - What have you been doing in the meantime to get by ?

[/quote]

Hi Earl, they actually lost the cone kit in Montreal for a few months this summer....then it did get installed - but, when I picked it up the VC was rubbing. So, we did a sweep and sure enough, it was faulty. That happened in October and I am still waiting....

Luckily I have a pair of 2123H's (thanks to Senorita Heather!) one of which is plugged in at the moment in the left channel.

well, you have to blow something up before you learn to realy be carefull.
    but its sad news indeed.
    good thing is they can be replaced and the cost will be fair i think. it's probably the time it will take to get the replacements that will give the most agrivation.
    take a deep breath and realise this will al be over soon.
    i wish you all the luck

but what are you doing making alterations if your not really an electro wiz.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Hello Mark

That sucks, well we have done something similar like when I dropped a 2435. You should be able to replace them with 046Ti-1's. The difference is the -1 is CCA wire if I remember right. Just be thankful it wasn't the 093's.

Rob

Hi,

I've also realised that my left 2214H-1 driver needs a outer foam replacememnt. I know of a local chap who refoams speakers to original factory specs, using original parts....supposedly. Should I go and buy a refoam kit and pass it on to the guy to use and fix or just get the guy to take it away and let him deal with it. I've had him refoam edges on a pair of cerwin concert monitors and was extremely happy with his work.

Back to the drivers. I have removed all the drivers from both speaker cabinets and tested them all with the following results:

Speaker left:

046Ti – 0
    093Ti – 3.9
    115H-1 – 4.6
    2214H-1 – 6.3

Speaker Right:

046Ti – 0
    093Ti – 4.2
    115H-1 – 4.9
    2214H-1 – 6.6

If you have already noticed, the values for speaker right were .3 higher across the board, apart from the dead 046Ti's. Does this also mean that volume output at a given level will be lower from the left speaker?

I’ve also noticed my speakers are not consecutive, serial number wise. Could this be why there’s a difference in driver values between each speaker or could it be that the left side suffered more damage? I would have thought the first was more likely. If the latter, driver values would have been all over the place.

When the XPL’s were released, I would assume in serial pairs, were the correpsonding drivers from each speaker matched closely as possible or matched exactly?

Thanks and cheers

Pasadena.

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
    Hi,

I've also realised that my left 2214H-1 driver needs a outer foam replacememnt. I know of a local chap who refoams speakers to original factory specs, using original parts....supposedly. Should I go and buy a refoam kit and pass it on to the guy to use and fix or just get the guy to take it away and let him deal with it. I've had him refoam edges on a pair of cerwin concert monitors and was extremely happy with his work.

Back to the drivers. I have removed all the drivers from both speaker cabinets and tested them all with the following results:

Speaker left:

046Ti – 0
    093Ti – 3.9
    115H-1 – 4.6
    2214H-1 – 6.3

Speaker Right:

046Ti – 0
    093Ti – 4.2
    115H-1 – 4.9
    2214H-1 – 6.6

If you have already noticed, the values for speaker right were .3 higher across the board, apart from the dead 046Ti's. Does this also mean that volume output at a given level will be lower from the left speaker?

I’ve also noticed my speakers are not consecutive, serial number wise. Could this be why there’s a difference in driver values between each speaker or could it be that the left side suffered more damage? I would have thought the first was more likely. If the latter, driver values would have been all over the place.

When the XPL’s were released, I would assume in serial pairs, were the correpsonding drivers from each speaker matched closely as possible or matched exactly?

Thanks and cheers

Pasadena.
    try to refoam them yourself. its realy not that difficult. and if you succeed it will give you lots of pleassure.

http://http://www.audiofriends.nl/pd...efoamen-hd.pdf
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Thread Information