Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Back in the 50s, a new Hartsfield is built

Ohh, whats that? An absolute rare 2310S (S = Silver) Lens? No, i am kidding. But I am glad that the color down. Now I can anodise gold.

regards
    juergen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Anodization

Could we have a picture of the lens after gold anodization?

Könnten wir ein Bild der Linse nach Anodisierung mit Gold haben?

Hello Juergen! & congratulations on your beautiful project, I have to agree with JBLOG, those are some scary mitre-cuts, but you handled them wonderfully. How are they sounding to you so far.
    Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post
    Could we have a picture of the lens after gold anodization?

Könnten wir ein Bild der Linse nach Anodisierung mit Gold haben?
    Hello Jan,

Yes I will pictureses of the golden lens. I must first of the anodizingmachine ready to build.

regards
    juergen

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hello Juergen! & congratulations on your beautiful project, I have to agree with JBLOG, those are some scary mitre-cuts, but you handled them wonderfully. How are they sounding to you so far.
    Enjoy!
    Hello Krunchy,

thanks for the compliments. Sorry my English is very bad and I am not a man of large words. I have from day to day more fun with the Hartfields.The frequency response is still not so perfect, I still work on it. The dynamics and the musically resolution is overwhelming. There is still room resonances at about 180Hz. Since they are not at the listening position, it is not so disturbing. In addition its the room still empty.

regards
    juergen

Juergen, your english is fine, and I am glad to hear that you having a good time with your Hartsfields. Once you get them fine tuned I am sure you will be having even more fun
    Just Play Music.

I have Peter in German my first impressions are described. He was so kind and gave me the text translated.

The Hartsfields are sounding better from day to day. They are sounding the way only a horn can do - in its positiv meaning. I do not hear horn colourations! The sound is unbelievably dynamic. From gentlest tones to brutal sound intensities they are extremly dissolving.

I listened to a big orchestra coming from a faint level growing louder and louder. And when you think it can not be louder you hear a small triangle from the left which you can hear very clear. For my taste and normal music (without electronic "schicki-micki") the Hartsfield has enough bass. There is nothing missing. I do not know whether I will experiment with a different back chamber or a different woofer. This will probably lessen clarity.

Two problems are left. There is a room resonance at about 180 Hz. Using one horn this is worse. When running both horns the room resonances are only left at the opposite room corners. At the listening position they are attenuated.
    The second problem is a lack of depth in sound stage. I think it is due to different runtimes from the bass and midrange horn. Presumably I will have to go aktiv with a digital delay, meaning my special soundcard. Bummer, I had intended to go passiv with a 25 W SE triode amp.
    Now it's enough drooling.

regards
    juergen

ps @ Krunchy
    I also hope you enjoy your new "babys"

Hello Juergen, glad to hear you are having a good time with them, thats great. The sound you are describing seems very pleasing to the ear, its unfortunate that you are experiencing resonance problems, how big is the room & is it square? (sorry if you already listed this info) I was told that I may experience this problem as well within the room I have my speakers in as the room is almost square. So far they sound good but someone else may think otherwise. That shouldnt be too difficult to get under control.
    Your second problem seems a bit more complicated but thankfully there are many knowledable people here who will have good suggestions for you to get them to sound to your liking. Sorry I cant offer any advice as I am just learning about a lot of this stuff myself. Once you get those pups fine tuned I am sure you will quite happy/er whith them.

My new babies are doing quite nicely thank you, having lot of fun with them
    Just Play Music.

Hello Krunchy,

my room is 4m X 4m (13ft X 13ft). All the rooms in my house, these dimensions. Ian has a good Tread written about room problems :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=16794

regards
    juergen

Thank you Juergen, good thread. I am sure all rooms could probably benefit from some sort of treatment.
    Every little bit helps
    Just Play Music.

juergen,,

I think this is one of the best diy threads we have seen for some time.

About what you are hearing I would expect having the enclosues in the corner may account for this. My solution build a third centre channel!

Cheers

iMac

Hello Ian,

thank you, your kompliment pleased me very much.
    A third centre channel is an interesting idea. I will try it when I make a center speaker built.

regards
    juergen

The anodizingmaschine is still not finished. But I have a few interesting manuals found. Unfortunately by the 1954er Hartsfield.

regards

juergen

Part I

Part II

I have these manuals is not in the library. If this already exists there, the admins delete these posts.

regards
    juergen

Thread Information