Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl pro audio pa subwoofer plans

nick

Jbl pro audio pa subwoofer plans

Hi guy how's it going? I was wondering if anyone had some plans for a jbl SRX728S subwoofer or an equivalent dual 18 subwoofer cabinet?

Thanks a mill.

Nick

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    welcome aboard...

how about something like these?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=widget+subs

IMO probably much nicer than SRX series store bought

nick
    Cool thats pretty much what I was looking for. Going to try driving it with 100 percent tube power too. Just wanted to see the options out there.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    welcome aboard...

how about something like these?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=widget+subs

IMO probably much nicer than SRX series store bought
    MUCH NICER and MUCH HEAVIER, TOO! 400lbs a cabinet.

And they rumble your guts with TONS of deep clean bass.

And, they like power, too. I have the four Widgets in the center stacks now, two per center stack, 4 monster 18,s each stack, two 2242,s per channel on CROWN 3600VZ,S!.

If you don't need to move them around, they are hard to beat, at any price!

WIDGET IS THE CRAFTSMAN EXTRAORDINAIRE.
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i agree with you Scotty, but didn't want ot scare him away

How are you going to get that much tube power, high power transmitter tubes?

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/WE320A.htm

Maybe Nick has put out a call out for tubes lots of tubes...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    i agree with you Scotty, but didn't want ot scare him away

Yes, but you know what? Besides great sub bass that does get down, dog deep, one of the great benefits of this type of construction is simply this, NO RATTLES, NO BUZZ, NO CABINET RESONANCE

Sorry to say, but there are factory made sub boxes out there, made from materials not truly up to the intense pounding at high power, high spl, use puts them through. With shoddy construction as well.

They dont loosen up, they are tight. And no exrtraneous noise, other than THAT M#$&@F*^+ING bottom end.

You put a decent amp with the correct power, Crown 3600, Crest 8001, Labs if you like, QSC, these things sound like bass, not rattle and loose joints, bass, that blends with the music.

scottyj

And there are audio companies who build the VERY best of cabinets too. Lord knows, they COST!

In that respect, I owe Widget much, as this type of construction, from a major manufacturer, could easily be priced at $4995.00ea. Money has no value these days. Prices have soared out of control.

scottyj

Something like this?

They work.

scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

I don't hear many users here talk about the JBL ASH 6118 but I would think that would knock the paint off any reflex enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    I don't hear many users here talk about the JBL ASH 6118 but I would think that would knock the paint off any reflex enclosure.
    They kick, but, I cant do beyond 30in deep with cabinets. My system is in a bumper car ride, with stacks around the room, and the max depth I have is 30in, and the 6118 is 50in deep.

Yes, good folded horns do have a certain LICK, and punch, but you can MOST definitely get bass reflex to KICK SEROUS ASS.

If you have enough woofers per location, and TONS of power, you can get immense sub bass output. I say, in a club type application, where high SPL and impact is wanted, you need 4 ported eighteens in each location, as compared to two 18,s in big folded horns doing output the same, with less power. So, I have four JBL 2242,s in double ported cabs, these cabs are in my 2 center of room stacks, and there are four more horn loaded stacks. They do put out, though, four 18,s in each stack, and two crown 3600,s running the 8 JBLs.

They do THUMP!
    scottyj

don't hear many users here talk about the JBL ASH 6118 ...
    ... and other bass horns too.

Although I like good bass horns very much I must agree that for deep bass these are huge, heavy and expensive. With a good bass reflex and modern speaker wattage it is easier to accomplish. When going with horns like JBL ASH 6118 it is a decission of cost and need I think.

A good bass horn needs inevitable some depth. This one has a depth of about 32 inches, here are used four of them:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...58&postcount=3
    They fit for a variety of 15" JBL speakers with low QTS.
    A carpenter made all the cuttings (CAD) and there was only needed glue and screws for building. So DIY was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    ... and other bass horns too.

Although I like good bass horns very much I must agree that for deep bass these are huge, heavy and expensive. With a good bass reflex and modern speaker wattage it is easier to accomplish. When going with horns like JBL ASH 6118 it is a decission of cost and need I think.

I Understand what you're saying. But some think they haven't the room when in fact they do. I think the ASH6188s are 4'x4'x2' approximately. I own Magneplanars and the surrounding space they need is substantial. With the systems I see around here and the size of the ported designs it is apparent that a horn loaded sub is cheaper, cleaner, faster, louder and could easily replace most of the double/quadruple configs I see here. Too often I see a little box that needs space around it to sound proper, yet ya got no space for a horn? But I'm not arguing that it is for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Scotty, Somewhere I've got a design for a folded bass horn that's about 15" deep....it is 4'x8' wide though.

Steve, I agree. And then there is the WAF too.
    When done properly there can be an interesting solution, have you seen this one?
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...74&postcount=9

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Steve, I agree. And then there is the WAF too.
    When done properly there can be an interesting solution, have you seen this one?
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...74&postcount=9
    No, and thanks for displaying it, it's absolutely beautiful. I helped build a couple this size with my Dad when I was a little kid. Actually, my job was to crawl inside and spackle the joints. Interesting that physics hasn't changed much since back then. Anyway, WAF is the one problem that if solved would be more beneficial to the pursuit of high fidelity than any other achievement made in audio history.

Thread Information