Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DEQ2496 UltraCurve Pro RTA/EQ Club

Nobody's saying use them in clubs here, or even as system EQ at home. They're NOT DEQX.

What they ARE is an affordable turnkey window into what it's all about, and well worth working through any early failures to get there....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Nobody's saying use them in clubs here, or even as system EQ at home. They're NOT DEQX.

What they ARE is an affordable turnkey window into what it's all about, and well worth working through any early failures to get there....
    Well put Mr. Zilch !!

I only intend to use mine as a RTA at this stage, however I will also give the auto eq and other "tricks" a go but will probably not use it unless it is transparent, however given it's reputation I doubt weather it will satisfy me in this respect. Since it has'nt died yet I will play with it this weekend and connect it "in circuit" and see what happens .... you never know I could be back here next week eating my words and completley satisfied ... shall we take bets
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Skywave went through three of them before he got one that worked right, as I recall....
    Yep.
    I determined the date codes or serial numbers were significantly older than the ones I eventually kept. Forget about refurbs.

The bad ones, as I remember, died at power up.

I "burned in" the current ones for a week or two powered on 24-7.

In retrospect, I think power on/off cycles are probably more stressful and might provoke a predestined failure earlier.

Mine work as advertised and I already got my money's worth out of them. I don't expect the EQ to be what the best analog EQs are.

Got the good ones from Musician's Friend on line.
    Got the bad ones from BSW and B&H.

My "bad" one came from Musicians Friend. Advertised as B Stock. What they shipped was "new OLD stock".

Quote Originally Posted by JBobL View Post
    My "bad" one came from Musicians Friend. Advertised as B Stock. What they shipped was "new OLD stock".
    Oh man. It's caveat emptor out there!
    Argh.

Caveat Venditor

I'd wait a little and pick up a Zetex DDFA amp with that builtin crossover, incredible, terrific specs. I'd bet it comes with HDMI too plus the usual digital interfaces. The feedback loop at the filter resembles Hypex UCD, or the art you see in Halcro patents. I'm using 100W ICEpower class-d amps right now, imagine 150g amp (thats it with builtin switchin powersupply) driving 1.5 kg crossover of 4430, funny sight for sure

ps: forget to mention, the builtin asynchronous samplerate converter means that it's supposed to eliminate the digital culprit known as jitter, does it in the same manner like benchmark dac-1 , or the smaller lavry dac. I'd also bet its better than anything you can come up with while struggling with DEQX There s also an increasing trend now in china - they are selling DAC with builtin hard disk drive (IDE port) , that gives adequate digital interconnect, you can even compute room correction process offline on PC - save wave files then put those onto that hard disk, or just use Squeezebox with PC.
    Last edited by readswift; 08-24-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: ps

That looks great. I could not find any pricing on their site. Have any idea?

Looks like the technology used in some of the better active DSP equipped studio monitors. Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by readswift View Post
    I'd wait a little and pick up a Zetex DDFA amp with that builtin crossover, incredible, terrific specs. I'd bet it comes with HDMI too plus the usual digital interfaces. The feedback loop at the filter resembles Hypex UCD, or the art you see in Halcro patents. I'm using 100W ICEpower class-d amps right now, imagine 150g amp (thats it with builtin switchin powersupply) driving 1.5 kg crossover of 4430, funny sight for sure

ps: forget to mention, the builtin asynchronous samplerate converter means that it's supposed to eliminate the digital culprit known as jitter, does it in the same manner like benchmark dac-1 , or the smaller lavry dac. I'd also bet its better than anything you can come up with while struggling with DEQX There s also an increasing trend now in china - they are selling DAC with builtin hard disk drive (IDE port) , that gives adequate digital interconnect, you can even compute room correction process offline on PC - save wave files then put those onto that hard disk, or just use Squeezebox with PC.

mass production with big name OEM's starts this year , as it was hinted several months ago. I think this means that those OEM's already completed their evaluation process and ready to sell stuff.

I know, the last post before this one was about a year ago, so I am probably running a little late with the Ultracurve, but I finally got one including the ecm8000 mic and micstand!

First observations are that it seems to have allmost unlimited capabilities, and that after two days I am only using the EQ and RTA. And parametric EQ seems more intuitive than graphic EQ. Luckily it can do both.

I am running it fully digital as I find that my normal dac sounds better. So it is cd player > optical in > doing its stuff > optical out to dac > amp > speakers.

The auto EQ seems to work nicely, I just find you have to crank up the pink noise quite loud to not have the "too soft to measure" message. I wont be doing this too often with my kids asleep. On point is that the pink noise is only on the main analog outputs and not on the optical digital out, but that is a minor point.

For manually adjusting the parametric EQ using pink noise, I'd better get myself some earplugs first...

I think it is going to take me a few weeks to master EQ-ing my fully active 3-way system as the interdependencies between drivers, EQ and M553 crossover settings are to big for a 5 minute setup.

JBL 4645
    You suck. Have fun with it I’m sure its full of lots of surprises. How much did it set you back?

The dynamic EQ should be fun in taming extreme high brittle frequencies with a kinder of relaxing listening pleasure without the need to turning down the volume.

I was thinking and this has been on my mind for weeks now. Three-way what about active crossover for all three bands with dynamic EQ so that mid to high has its own dynamic EQ with little bit of dynamic EQ on the lows. It’s all about experimentation.

it set me back 300 euro for the ultracurve and then another 75 euro for the mic, stand and cable, all in all not bad

tonight I spent 2 hours calibrating my active 3-way, it turned out ok, but the pink noise volume gets tiresome after 2 hours!

and moving the mic further back (say 1.5 to 2 meters) for more integrated measurements needs even higher levels

but I have got it flat enough

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    it set me back 300 euro for the ultracurve and then another 75 euro for the mic, stand and cable, all in all not bad

tonight I spent 2 hours calibrating my active 3-way, it turned out ok, but the pink noise volume gets tiresome after 2 hours!

and moving the mic further back (say 1.5 to 2 meters) for more integrated measurements needs even higher levels

but I have got it flat enough
    Use (ear plugs) and you’ll have many wonderful hours with Pink Noise The Wall.

Flat enough but never perfectly flat through-out as that is impossible but flat enough in the listening area (sweet spot) as that is where you’d be!

The only thing that is flat is headphones! You can stand in corner and the sound is still flat! Sit in the bath and the sound is still flat!

Then again the real world has the same problems! You could be standing outside in the street and bus passes by and stops at bus stop! The humming deep noise/sound from the engine hums away. Now stand in narrow doorway it’s totally different! Its bommy! So the real world has the same issues as rooms do.

That’s just a statement of observation that is.

I wondered if anyone has tried to configure the ultracurve to measure impedance?

This might seem strange to you, but all you'd need is a voltage divider to measure voltage over a certain resistor and the speaker and then run a sweep.

If the speaker impedance rises, so does the voltage over the speaker whereas the voltage of the fixed resistor falls by the same amount. And vice versa.

Thread Information