Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DEQ2496 UltraCurve Pro RTA/EQ Club

pentictonklaus

DEQ

I got one since 2 years. I am very happy with it. Running 2344 active with it .

No issues at all.

Hei

Would it be possible to use two of the DEQ2496,one for the front speakers and one for the subwoofers ?
    And if so,how would they work together ?

Espen

Why?

Whatever you do with it in VLF, like assist and/or subsonic filter, is not going to affect the mains, assuming they've got a separate highpass filter on them.

If you're talking about separate channels in a multi-channel system, then you could use a separate one on the subs, but it seems like overkill for sub EQ.... :dont-know

Are you saying that I am not part of "the" club because I don't have a 2496?

What happened to "Ban the Behringer" movement in pro sound?

Every piece of Behr gear I have ever come across is crap!

I have read the posts about your 2496s, and question, at times, what kool-aid are you guys drinking?

If it is THAT great a tool, than please convince me.

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    If it is THAT great a tool, than please convince me.
    Minimum admission to working with speakers.

First and foremost, a semii-portable (but not road worthy) stand alone RTA with good accuracy and 1/6-octave resolution at an economical price, the familiar orange images posted in these forums. Used properly (I don't always do that, ) an invaluable tool for balancing, getting driver phase and alignment right, knowing and working with the response characteristics of drivers, horns, and full systems. It doesn't lie; makes you face the facts head on.

Then the fun stuff, much of which I have STILL not explored. 1/3-octave graphic EQ, and multiple parametics. Rob showed me how to set up a subsonic filter in the feedback destroyer. The Q=2 assist for B-380 is in one of the parametrics. Giskard showed me how to do that. 64 memories to store different settings in. Infredible sets up sound fields for different music genres in there.

Want to know how it would sound if you fixed that dip in the response there? Push AutoEQ to make any curve you want, and then A/B with what you've got without it. Swap in a different driver. Still the same?

Dynamics, width, other stuff. Rotate the soundfield, yada, yada.

Allegedly a high-quality A/D converter front end, which I know nothing about what to use for....

okay. I understand. tired and out of money. will look for one soon.

Are there printed up 2496 club cards? Lapel pins? Bowling shirts?

If I am going to buy one to be part of the club.....
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Okay, so to detail the specifics a bit more -
    1. the RTA - would that be a laptop and clio? Or is that a function of the Behr 2496 (perhaps fed to a laptop)

2. 1/3-octave graphic EQ, and multiple parametics - lots of ways to get here I guess ... cheap approach is the Behringer, but perhaps noisy for home use (? for the folks with really good amps; Hafler, Pass and similar)

Am I on the right wavelength?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Minimum admission to working with speakers.

First and foremost, a semii-portable (but not road worthy) stand alone RTA with good accuracy and 1/6-octave resolution at an economical price, the familiar orange images posted in these forums. Used properly (I don't always do that, ) an invaluable tool for balancing, getting driver phase and alignment right, knowing and working with the response characteristics of drivers, horns, and full systems. It doesn't lie; makes you face the facts head on.

Then the fun stuff, much of which I have STILL not explored. 1/3-octave graphic EQ, and multiple parametics. Rob showed me how to set up a subsonic filter in the feedback destroyer. The Q=2 assist for B-380 is in one of the parametrics. Giskard showed me how to do that. 64 memories to store different settings in. Infredible sets up sound fields for different music genres in there.

Want to know how it would sound if you fixed that dip in the response there? Push AutoEQ to make any curve you want, and then A/B with what you've got without it. Swap in a different driver. Still the same?

Dynamics, width, other stuff. Rotate the soundfield, yada, yada.

Allegedly a high-quality A/D converter front end, which I know nothing about what to use for....
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Yeah, it's not too shabby. Useful for D/A conversion with an older CD player - or what I do, is use it for conversion off my digital cable box. I would think it could be useful for satellite audio as well.

That way, it's not just another piece of test gear sitting on the shelf getting dusty when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Okay, so to detail the specifics a bit more -
    1. the RTA - would that be a laptop and clio? Or is that a function of the Behr 2496 (perhaps fed to a laptop)

2. 1/3-octave graphic EQ, and multiple parametics - lots of ways to get here I guess ... cheap approach is the Behringer, but perhaps noisy for home use (? for the folks with really good amps; Hafler, Pass and similar)

Am I on the right wavelength?
    Hi,
    The RTA function is built in, provide a measurement mic, that's all. (I bought the cheap Behringer one, and I can't vouch for its flatness. In researching posts and reviews, it seems to be fairly flat.)

There is no computer interface, though there is MIDI, presumably you could do a system exclusive data dump to a pc to archive settings. Also for program (setting) changes via a MIDI sequencer for automation of parameters -- like if you're a sequenced performer and want to change an EQ for one song.

The unit is very quiet, you won't hear noise.

It has very flexible routing capabilities, so you can send the pink noise to one output, have the other output bypassing the EQ, etc..

I have wanted to get into RTA for a long time but could not afford to. This has made it possible.

As far as the sound goes, you have to make that call for yourself. Frankly, I don't think the converter is all that, and even with great converters, I hear the difference comparing a source to the inserted digital device. So that's to be expected. Consider the price, though.

As far as using "auto eq" it can be great. But I found, as Zilch has stated elsewhere, that careful positioning is important, and if you are using horn speakers with beamy power response, your off axis sound will get funny. It's not a miracle machine.

And the meter is great, but I wish the VU emulation could be calibrated. Say if I want 0VU to be at -18 or -20, as is common.
    http://www.rogernichols.com/EQ/EQ_2000_06.html
    As it is, I think they show 0VU at digital 0, so it's kind of useless. Maybe somebody out there knows how to change that.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    I now have 2.
    And they both work.
    Do I get 2 votes when the DEQ Crew convenes?

I think I like it now.
    You suck I, sure can do with four DCX2496 to adjust the response between the front and the seating area.

DCX2496 left and right front
    DCX2496 centre front centre back surround
    DCX2496 side wall surrounds left and right
    DCX2496 sub bass extension and LFE.1

I’ll have to wait like the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    Hi,
    As far as the sound goes, you have to make that call for yourself. Frankly, I don't think the converter is all that, and even with great converters, I hear the difference comparing a source to the inserted digital device. So that's to be expected. Consider the price, though.
    Agreed, I don't leave it in the main audio signal line. It is definitely audible.

Yes Chas, you are right. But maybe I did not write too clearly. It's, in my opinion, a judgement call. The benefit of the room EQ could outweigh the sound of the converters. Depends. In my case in my apartment, where I use EV Sentrys for a Pro Tools workstation, some EQ is essential to tune the room and help those speakers. So the sound is better with it in line in this application. That could be true for others reading this post.

And I will also say that anytime you are using an EQ, you are changing, indeed distorting the sound, no matter how high end or professional the equipment.

I do wish it had better build quality/made in the USA/nicer converters/computer interface/calibrate-able VU meter/etc..

But then the price would be much higher. And I would not be enjoying listening through one right now. And I would not be able to upgrade my 9844s.

I paid less for this, (with the mic) ($135 on the 'bay),

Than I did for this (~$150 at DAK) with its mic close to 20 years ago. And 20 years ago $150 was a lot of $$$.

You tell me where the value lies.

JBL 4645
    Mate The DEQ2496 image didn’t load up, only with a red X.

I also found this link in Google Image which raised my eyebrows even higher than Roger Moore’s.

An Introductory Guide to Subwoofers
    http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw-2/SubwooferSetupandEQpageDEQ2496.html

JBL 4645
    Wow sifted though that and I like the features even more than the first time around.

The DEQ2496 is labelled with features, and I’m sure each and every one of them will be extremely useful.

This would give me a break from those mismatched GEQ that I’ve been tinkering around with these past years, time I stepped up my priorities.

There is only one way this goes around its DEQ2496 then onto the DCX2496 otherwise I’d need at least x3 DEQ2496 one for each channel LCR LF HF though channels 1 2 3 4 5 and 6.

I’m surprised there isn’t any additional barograph display that indicates output level after EQ has been done, because there be a slight difference in the level, due to one or many frequency bands being altered, no matter, that’s why the DCX2496 is the last link in the audio chain before passing off to the amplifies, so any overloading will be indicated on the DCX2496 loudspeaker management system.

Thread Information