Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Poor ole Sooty has fleas! I’ve washed it over and over and over have washed drowned at least 25 to 30 fleas a few nights ago down the drain! But Sooty is still scratching so I know he still has few of those little buggers hiding running for cover as soon as the water hits Sooty’s black fur coat.

Eggs might be clinging to the coat and have attached and have life expectance of about 3 to 4 weeks too damn long! A few have no doubt have dropped off onto the floor. Thank goodness I haven’t laid a carpet down yet! The tiled flooring should make it possible to clean and vacuum up all possible nasty little buggers and get rid of them into the dustbin outside.

I’ll get Sooty treated again on 19th of this mouth when I take him to the vet. I need him (flea coat free)! I had to deal with fucking (silverfish) when I moved into the flat and the last thing I want know is a fucking infestation of fleas in my flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hey!

im here just to let you know that i followed your thread since i joined the forum.
    i like the pics. and sooty the cat, well.

so when do you start cramming your room full with big theater-horns?

mikey

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    hey!

im here just to let you know that i followed your thread since i joined the forum.
    i like the pics. and sooty the cat, well.

so when do you start cramming your room full with big theater-horns?

mikey
    Just as soon as, I knock off a few post offices LOL just kidding. I haven’t got the money thou someone at Future Projections was offring me some HF horns not JBL I can’t remember the name, but from the sound of it they were going cheep.

No, JBL is what I want, nothing else. Second-hand I’ll buy second hand reconditioned if I had the money.

I can test a high frequency sound up to the limit of the control 5 on the HF with tones above 12 KHz up 20 KHz, Sooty can hear those tones so easily.

JBL 4645
    I’ve done some more testing with REW (Room EQ Wizard) and after a bit of (trial and error) I nailed this frequency response that is slightly smoother over the pervious one. Range is smoother and its virtual eliminated some portions of low frequency boom.

The floor tends to vibrate a bit more when bypassing the BFQ2496 and readjusting the sub bass level where its boom I my ear with mild vibration. When switching back to BFQ2496 and adjusting the sub bass level from 0db to +10db, no clipping is evident on the Alesis RA300 all is running smooth. the floor vibrated as well as vibration in the sofa with wormhole sequence from original laserdisc to DVD-RW Star Trek the motion picture Dolby stereo.

Vibration on the TV I noticed a slight vibration emitting from the TV location during quiet moment from the film, as the Enterprise moves though the (Vger cloud) which was only in at a few seconds, after securing the vibration with a few pieces of cardboard placed underneath it.

I really should get this horizontal base platform built and get the speakers off the TV that is bad because it will transmit vibration into it, I should place a second smaller platform above the sub bass by a 1” or place rubber matting underneath it and run a few frequency sweeps at different sound pressure levels to determine or locate any possible vibrations and fix them.

I took graph of the frequency sweep and the corrections that I made also the numbers that I entered into the BFQ2496 parametric EQ.

I guess the vibration was around or between 57Hz to 59Hz. If I was standing a wooden floor it would be real pain in the neck to isolate because the floorboard would flex due to my (body weight) and therefore adjust what ever there is up front, because I’ve run into this issue before at my last crappy home, the floorboards really sucked!

I might get some rubber feet to place underneath the JBL 4645 to minimize floor vibration.

JBL 4645
    I’ve had another crack at the BFQ2496. A few guys on the shack site was helpful to recommend a few changes, so the graph hare is somewhat different from a few nights ago.

Frigging cold down here tonight I wonder if Rich is keeping warm in London his home looked kinder large to heat when I visited him last year.

I noticed a few changes after using auto EQ adjustment a few trail and errors the sub bass with Dolby stereo seems controlled. Sooty is standing on the pull out draw overlooking my typing, its not very helpful at spelling errors, (are you Sooty) he keeps me warm at night sleeping on the bed, at my feet, he’s like a portable water bottle.

Looks like my cat when she was a kitten

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Poor ole Sooty has fleas! I’ve washed it over and over and over have washed drowned at least 25 to 30 fleas a few nights ago down the drain! But Sooty is still scratching so I know he still has few of those little buggers hiding running for cover as soon as the water hits Sooty’s black fur coat.

Eggs might be clinging to the coat and have attached and have life expectance of about 3 to 4 weeks too damn long! A few have no doubt have dropped off onto the floor. Thank goodness I haven’t laid a carpet down yet! The tiled flooring should make it possible to clean and vacuum up all possible nasty little buggers and get rid of them into the dustbin outside.

I’ll get Sooty treated again on 19th of this mouth when I take him to the vet. I need him (flea coat free)! I had to deal with fucking (silverfish) when I moved into the flat and the last thing I want know is a fucking infestation of fleas in my flat.
    She would watch my monitor and try and catch the mouse pointer as I moved it around the screen. This did make it hard to get anything done, so I got a laser pointer and hard her chase the it around the room. John

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    She would watch my monitor and try and catch the mouse pointer as I moved it around the screen. This did make it hard to get anything done, so I got a laser pointer and hard her chase the it around the room. John
    My cat can’t resist it. What is it with the red laser beam that drives cats nuts? LOL

JBL 4645

Christmas lights buggered Sooty mugging for the camera yet again!

I tested the lights nearly one by one with a volt meter to see if the connection is broken between one of the lights as their series type and then said sod it! What’s the point the lights are very cheap and affordable and chances are that the light replacement bulbs are no longed made or may not even fit the lights that I’m using.

I’ll get some new ones from ASDA next week as they are real cheap as biscuits today

I could retest each light and if one is not making a circuit connection…easy, just bridge the broken connection and bingo there will be light, but I can’t be asked so…I’ll get some new ones. At least the little tree is up and looking partly decorated.

JBL 4645
    Sooty has been feeling a bit unwell for the past 24 hours it eat some of my food! You have to take your eye of it for moment and it starts tucking into spicy food! WTF!

It brought up most its dinner that it eat previously and a clear liquid around its backside I guess it disagreed with Sooty! He took a normal kitten crap before his backside looks a bit moist? He can run around a bit and jump when he can be asked, but I’m worried as to what he ate?

He’s also being leaping up onto the kitchen worktop and there’s no telling if he licked the frying pan with cocking oil in it? I caught him earlier yesterday before he nibbled on my dinner. Plus he was running around a lot and jumping so maybe simple upset stomach is the result, just like when we start running around after eating we start to feel under the weather.

He nibbled on bit Whiskers kitten food earlier this afternoon so I’ll keep the eating down to a minimum for the next few days until I hope things improve if not I’ll take him to the vet and get him checked over.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

I’ll keep the eating down to a minimum for the next few days until I hope things improve
    Oh, these kids of today grow up with modern computer technology in such a natural way
    but the cup of coffee is not that good in Sooties situation.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Oh, these kids of today grow up with modern computer technology in such a natural way
    but the cup of coffee is not that good in Sooties situation.

I had some Uncle Bens rice with chill source and it must have gotten a bad case of it. I can’t help if the cat wants to explore the kitchen now can I. Or do I lock him in the hallway each time I go out and keep all food types off the kitchen worktop surfaces, well it looks that way because kittens cats will stick there noses into anything?

Since I posted about an hour ago he’s started to nipple on Whiskers took a kitten carp and it looked kinder of normal so that would teach him a lesion not to stick his face into my dinner! I don’t stick mine into his Whiskers and it sure smells yummy, until I start feeling sick LOL.

Its wondering around the living room and the fist place it likes to stick hits head into is the middle port on the JBL 4645 yeah the little bugger climbed in it again a few nights ago! and I used the red laser pointed and placed beam on the edge of the port and Sooty climbed out. I can’t want until he’s a few more months older then he’ll find it difficult to climb into.

JBL 4645
    Nothing new to this, expect the Sooty is feeling better now a bad case of the runs, but feeling sporty now. Its jumping and leaping and that’s cool to see. Brought it a new toy to play with called “The Bug” its already bugging him LOL He’s running around the living room with this thing in its mouth or moving it a few inches then pouncing on it! Grips it with front and rear paws and claws and rolls around!

He’ll get a surprise when he pulls it because, it’s a pull sting device that will vibrate and buzz and roll on the floor.

JBL 4645

Improved LCR sub bass 100Hz

I took some time, yesterday to analysing the 100Hz sine wave at the listening position. I knew each had dip and peak over the LCR and it need to be levelled out so I started off with the centre channel which has an extra speaker attached to it via the LF only.

The signal was fine as it is but can be improved upon further.

I then looked at the left channel which had the greatest dip and it needed something to smoothing it out? The arrangement as it was before with 5 JBL control 5 placed over the front was only augmenting the low end from left and right but was still off by several db when monitoring the SPL db metre at the listening position.

I moved the SPL db metre along the seating area while playing the dts test demonstration set-up disc. I noticed that the centre channel was within a ±1.5db within the seating sofa area.

The left and right fronts, was miles off and needed some correction not with EQ and not with bass traps which I don’t have at the present time.

The left front like I pointed out had dips as if a black hole was sucking up its energy?

I moved the inner left channel around while looking at the SPL db meter while it was positioned on the sofa. I then checked the level balance by moving the SPL db side to side within the seating area.

I can’t remember which side of the sofa produced excessive amounts of SPL db level as it varied with the positioning of the inner left channel. It took me hours to nail it down to a tight tolerance level so that the 100Hz sine wave was even from side to side. I must have tried 7 positions to get that tone to focus over the seating area, what a dog’s dinner!

The right front inner channel was disconnected while I checked the level of the 100Hz sine wave as it has -7.3db with a narrow Q of 10.0 on the DCX2496. The level changed as soon as I disconnected the inner right. I think it down yes it went down, (trying to recall yesterday whew!) yes and that might seem good but the 100Hz sine wave was only good at one spot on the sofa and that wasn’t good enough.

So I connected the inner right back up and moved it around until I found position that was near to good and then turned the speaker around to face the opposite direction. The speaker has passive crossover inside it still same with the other one, so very little distinction, in fact none at all.

So that’s what I’ve been tackling with yesterday forgot how many hours it took, a number of hours a good fair number, sigh.

I’ve only tested it with music so far (Madonna) haven’t played a film to see what is missing or what needs attended too? Maybe later in the evening I’ll run a few films that I’m familiar with and see if there has been positive improvement.

Also moved humped the JBL 4645 over from its centre position since using REW and I’ve managed to get tones up from 50 to 60Hz and few 70Hz to 80Hz and 90Hz tones where before they where stuck in a bit of dip. Its only been shifted over by as much as 45” from the centre of the sub bass driver.

I also tried other positions like standing it up vertically with the sub bass driver further away from the floor and the tone was magic in the central position in the room, until you flip it back over and on its side in the original position where 50Hz is heavy at the standing up position and hard on the left side of the front, and slightly down on the right side front.

Stacking sub bass speakers is paramount to obtaining uniformly frequency response where some subs might need a little EQ with cuts only. I don’t have the room of cinema auditorium for x16 JBL subs much less x4 unless I had a video projector where I can get away with it!

If the CRT TV was in the way I could place the sub there and a few more coupled to the sides to get the smoothest frequency response with high SPL level and uniform frequency rather than dips peaks can be cut back slightly.

Smaller subs stacked up front is the logical key to maintaining solid sub bass.

The smaller sub has only been shifted a little bit towards the centre to enhance the LCRS low end with or without Dolby six-track aka 5.1.

The main large one at the moment is in a better position than before. I was worried if the sub bass was too strong at the front that it might be vibrating the flats blow, LOL. Well I tried it out last night while watching some yotube videos Star Wars isolated scores of the original trilogy performed by John Williams in Dolby stereo 4:2:4 wow some of the lows on the score vibrated nicely over the previous position. More in my chest at certain frequencies.

I’d like three more 18” and that will force me to place the LCR up higher and more or less back to square one, ain’t it just great.

JBL 4645
    Late this afternoon Sooty went on climbing expedition. I might not have been JBL K2 LOL but he reached the highest peak on top of the JBL control 5 LOL. He jumped up on the smaller Eltax A 12-R sub bass then up onto the other JBL control 5 then up onto the CRT TV then up onto the JBL control 5 centre front. I had to take a picture just after I noticed he was standing on the TV then the JBL control 5, little bugger. I had to help him down because if I jumped off he might move the JBL control 5 with his back legs and knock it flying LOL.

Maybe Sooty can promote JBL as the purrfect speaker system.

The size

Hello,
    The sound of your system it is not too large compared to the size of your image?
    Best regards.
    Stéphane

Thread Information