Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Repositioned the arrangement of the JBL control 1 by placing some timbre slightly ahead by 18” re-spaced them out a bit and mirrored the difference on the opposite side redid the EQ and there’s a noticeable difference in bass mid and high range, that’s encompassed around the ears, rather than that common lose hole in the bucket sound that most home cinema users have.

Screwed up some timbre that took around 10 minutes piloted the holes with electric drill to make it easier to screw the back bracket to the timber. Re-wired the series of the cables to the surrounds, took bath because I was sweating like pig, came back in finished off a few more surrounds then settled down and relaxed with the surrounds only to see what else need attention.

Standing up and walking around it remains stable and uniform, just the way I want it. also I’ve removed the height surrounds only until I get another set of JBL control 1 as the other two are positioned on the sides around the seating area and slightly ahead of it as well.

The bridge sequence on the opening of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan has wonderful ambient low end rumble that doesn’t draw attention to the surrounding JBL control 1, certain levels change in the pitch of the Enterprise’s engines and when captain Kirk enters the bridge simulator, is heard with metallic like sound a few pressure hydraulic sounds are heard as well.

JBL 4645
    After slight few IR inferred sensor issues with the commands being sent from the remote control that activates a few functions on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select. I was forced to open it up, to correct the minor difficulty.

I fought it might have been a dry joint on the one of the pins that connects from the IR to the PCB so there was no soldering involved. I took non-metallic plastic object and prodded around with the pins that connect to the IR sensor and PCB to see if anyone one of them was lose, none what so ever.

All that was needed was to push the IR sensor into proper position and that it.

I also cleaned around inside with dust that had settled onto the PCB with duster and vacuum cleaner. Also with the faceplate removed I polished it up to remove smudges and finger makes. Screwed the faceplate back on replaced the outer casing and plugged the cables back into proper operating function.

Oh, what a palaver!

Now that I’m relaxed with (Jean Michel Jarre) “Rendezvous” maybe I can get on with something.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

Oh, what a palaver!

Now that I’m relaxed with (Jean Michel Jarre) “Rendezvous” maybe I can get on with something.
    palaver??
    PALAVER??
    We don't need no stinkin' PALAVER!!

We're here for the MUSIC, not the sound of one man talking ...

=========================

. According to the Oxford English Dictionary PALAVER derives from the Portuguese "palavra" meaning "speech" (cognate with the English word "parable")which meant "talk, parley,discussion", specifically between Portuguese traders and West African natives. So "what a palaver" - "what a load of [pointless] discussion".
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    palaver??
    PALAVER??
    We don't need no stinkin' PALAVER!!

We're here for the MUSIC, not the sound of one man talking ...

=========================

. According to the Oxford English Dictionary PALAVER derives from the Portuguese "palavra" meaning "speech" (cognate with the English word "parable")which meant "talk, parley,discussion", specifically between Portuguese traders and West African natives. So "what a palaver" - "what a load of [pointless] discussion".

Has it been a rough day Heather? Talk too me get out in the open.

But you dropped that "Palaver" phrase yourself that probably many of us don't use to often,
    so - fess up, what were you gettin' at??

"Oh, what a palaver!"

I figured posting the definition didn't help much ...

I mean, I get "what a load of bollocks", but "palaver" ... ???
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL 4645
    But you dropped that "Palaver" phrase yourself that probably many of us don't use to often,
    so - fess up, what were you gettin' at??

"Oh, what a palaver!"

I figured posting the definition didn't help much ...

I mean, I get "what a load of bollocks", but "palaver" ... ???

Undoing it all and sorting it out! That means removing everything and unplugging leads, does that spell it out. I was clam when I was doing it otherwise if I didn’t think I was confident at jumping inside the AVR I wouldn’t have done it. It was simple fixture that took around 30 minutes from undoing it all and replacing it.

Oh, what a palaver for such a simple thing. don’t you have days like that when a simple thing crops up, that distracts you away from something else.

I made a few minor EQ adjustments a few nights ago and wanted to listen to film then the (remote commands) where inoperative and I was forced to do something else.

Oh, what’s next???

Look, it was just weird that you posted this long discussion of redoing your receiver then (basically) said "What a Pointless Discussion"
    (much like this one!) ..

just seemed an off thing for ya to say, is all ...

off to bed for me, early morning today means no late night in DC!

JBL 4645
    Look, it was just weird that you posted this long discussion of redoing your receiver then (basically) said "What a Pointless Discussion"
    (much like this one!) ..

just seemed an off thing for ya to say, is all ...

off to bed for me, early morning today means no late night in DC!
    No late night I guess you got to get up early for the voting poles. LOL see you later Heather.

JBL 4645
    Received my third Alesis RA300 this afternoon and it’s plugged up for the LFE.1 in (bridge mode) only.

Thou slightly behind and other three Alesis RA300 for basic 7.1 configuration isn’t really enough for the requirements as I have a dozen ideas bouncing around in my head.

One thing is clearly evident and that’s the clutter that’s starting to build up! I really need to get those Samson 19” racks and do this with slight bit of professionalism and house all the equipment in the bedroom, with a set of holes drilled though the wall and the cables passed though it for a neat and tidy look.

I’m warming the third Alesis RA300 up the moment with my personal six-track Dolby stereo copy of RAMBO III (1988) that won’t be realised on region 2 DVD till next year.

LCRS bass extension is still be directed to the Eltax A 12-R sub while the JBL 4645 calmly handles LFE.1 effects only.

The prison breakout where John Rambo fails on his first attempt has nice blend of isolated screen front information of rapid machinegun fire grade pin, retracting and being heard to screen left HF! Dialogue speech indelibility is terrific as well to help understand what is happen “loud and clear” thou not ear busting!

JBL 4645

JBL five-screen and the Pris Attack "Balde Runner" 1982

I’ve set-up one of two extra JBL Control 5 as pre-five screen fronts a few more amplifiers and Dolby stereo decoders to make it fully functional into two system playback mode for baby boom and five screen discrete matrix that derives information from the centre channel thus making it more clearer as well as extracting part of the half panned left and right information and sending into the (two inner channels, left-centre right-centre.

Tonight’s first test is with the (1982) futuristic nightmarish thriller “Blade Runner” International Theatrical Cut after testing a few scenes out with opening sequences and The Pris Attack where Deckard is taken by surprise only to finish her off with shot to the stomach that resulted in a high pitch frenzy of screaming! A second shot reverberated outwards from taking individual tests of LCR only.

Tested left front with (CR muted) checked SPL db and was satisfied with the improvement I made.

Switching to right front with (LC muted) checked the levels of low while midrange and high HF have a different sound, noted the bass level checked it off the list and moved over to centre.

(Muting LR) while listening carefully to the centre action of her scream and the echo that’s around it and other tiny little details, until Deckard fired another shot that was bit more punchier and milder at the listen area with mild scary sound that rolled over my chest.

Playing the whole scene with LCR and sub bass extension and the LFE.1 track escalated it higher to a disturbing almost sickening point, its not cherry film its fairly violent, but that’s the whole point of the story.

A bump here to overcome the Daleks.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    A bump here to overcome the Daleks.

JBL 4645
    After reading some of the links provided by Hoerninger on capacitors and more I read the few paragraphs in this link and decided I was board out of head and since I’ve got nothing else to ramble about I looked though a box for some cable to try out this “open free” experiment and thou I haven plotted the lowest frequency response as of yet I have tried it with “Sheppard Moons” (track 7) “Far And Away”from the Enya album.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Serious-Sub.html

I was rather surprised after readjust the Alesis RA300 that is in bridge mode for sub bass and made a few changes on the 125Hz but since I’m doing this by ear and haven’t ran the SPL d metre or the RTA with the spectrumlab to see what the in-room response is I can feel a noticeable natural difference in the tone. You might say this is naked sub baas.

I found a counter weight that is used on the telescope and small piece of timbre to support the JBL 15” 2226 in a vertical.

JBL 4645
    Extended the width of the sidewall surrounds with 4 foot spacing between each one of them, results wow! it totally encompassed with greater uniformity. The bell dong from Underworld (2003) where Seline, puts a few bullets into the werewolf has the bell dong up front then pans to the surrounds with smoothness. A few minor changes in the EQ for the sidewall surrounds was made to get the right amount low end need.

Walking steadily around the room while listening to Star Trek the motion picture original (1979) laserdisc to DVD-RW with only the surrounds playing there is minimal change in the sound, with Jerry Goldsmith’s score “The cloud” THX on/off it’s as if I’m warring “headphones” like a cinema, only in smaller room.

The centre back has remained unchanged because this placement offers the tightest centre back possible without the hole in sound image. There maybe a few cables dangling in the picture but this only to get my bearings, before I start knocking up a small false upper wall to the rear left, the timber will be taken down and fitted with new timber and placed inside the a few inches so that I can place wall with flush look.

I’m also considering repainting the wall, but that won’t help the small reflection and thin layer of absorbent material attached to the walls though the use of wall plugs and just simply screwed up will be better option, as to when I get around to this depends on how hard I save because timber is few bob, and it soon mounts up in cost. Paint, well I’ll repaint the wall a different colour a kinder of warmer colour or I may just go with neutral texture kinder like the Empire, can’t be that hard.

JBL 4645
    My dad brought around a few chisels so that I switch the door around so that it opens in the opposite direction. The door needs a clean up that I’ll get around to sometime next week with rub down and new piece of door beading. For the meantime its held in place with two screws no chance of falling off.

Question is does it improve the JBL sound hmm, now that is the question?

My dad started the first part just to make sure I haven’t forgotten then left me to finish it off. its only taken about 2 hours to do. This is the first step to revamping the room once the door is all cleaned up I’ll move on to the next phase.

Thread Information