Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Okay I’m going see if I can’t make up lead long enough even if I have tie sting together and cover it in Vaseline to make an electrical contact.

Edit: I can see the other hiccup in the response only snag is the new version I can't overlap all three channels at once and make the corrections while seeing the changes transform so I'm using older version and will make my best guess prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Okay I’m going see if I can’t make up lead long enough even if I have tie sting together and cover it in Vaseline to make an electrical contact.

Edit: I can see the other hiccup in the response only snag is the new version I can't overlap all three channels at once and make the corrections while seeing the changes transform so I'm using older version and will make my best guess prediction.
    I am very confused about what you're doing.. Why do you want to overlay all three channels and do the corrections? You have to do one speaker at a time and make it match your desired target curve.

In REW5 you should be able to see the predicted response when making your changes. Its under the EQ section.

This is a screenshot of when I set up one of my speakers:

The dotted line is the predicted response after filters are applied. The dotted line is altered whenever you change a filter.

What are your goals with all the tweakings? Dont you want to achieve the response you want, and then just "relax" and enjoy the movies?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    I am very confused about what you're doing.. Why do you want to overlay all three channels and do the corrections? You have to do one speaker at a time and make it match your desired target curve.

In REW5 you should be able to see the predicted response when making your changes. Its under the EQ section.

The dotted line is the predicted response after filters are applied. The dotted line is altered whenever you change a filter.

What are your goals with all the tweakings? Dont you want to achieve the response you want, and then just "relax" and enjoy the movies?
    That is what I am doing have been doing for several years I take independent sweeps and then overlap and make the trims.

If shoe fits ware it!

These kind of questions are kind of pointless.

Basic comments like suggest putting down a rug to minimize reflections doesn't get far.

Ash has a plan for how he does things and what he wants out of it.

Anyone else asking for specifics usually walks away shaking their head.

Usually best to just let him do whatever he likes to do in his space.

No flames. Facts.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645

I also noticed your using ½

I’d post the new LCR front graph later once it’s finalized. I haven’t used the program since I placed the baffle wall up.

The sound still sounds the same with clear smooth tracking pans across the fronts.

I listen on headphone buds to check what else might be missing then look at the frequency response of each LCR.

If the room is nicely almost dead some films have kinder echo/reverb like in STAR TREK II when Kirk walks up to his door in his home and the shhh to left dialogue to centre has slight echo in the middle range in bright room it might go slightly unnoticed.

Only anther 60 or so tiles to place around the room.

Outstanding.

JBL 4645
    I have just won myself a pair of used JBL Control 10 off ebay at really cheap price. Finally after many years drooling over these I get to own a pair at last. I’m also going to be on the look out for more and I have my eye on JBL Control 12 SR looks like the baffle wall might be coming down and revamp of larger Control will take place in new baffle wall sometime soon?

I’ve been running JBL Control 5 for 21 years and time for upgrade.

I can only fit three-screen in due to the width of the Control 10 or 12 SR which is around 17” wide I could push for five-screen but it would be incredibly tight and take a lot of planning design to make it work.

I also plan to modify them to run with tri-amp so that would really mean I’d be forced to get another DCX2496 to run basic three-screen 3-way or x3 DCX2496 for five-screen three-way.

I’ll wait for an update from the seller on when they have been dispatched? I guess maybe today the very least tomorrow for an early next week delivery?

I’m thinking why not revamp the surrounds to JBL Control 5? Only snag is the size and weight would need a really deep screw fitting in the sidewalls and rear wall and I’ll use the same number or more but that would cost a bomb!

Biggest problem would be he overhead as the surrounds have to be matching and I don’t fancy Control 5 hanging overhead no matter how secure they’re fitted they’d still hang down by several inches away from ceiling so I’m keep with Control 1 unless I can do an IMAX like setup with two Control 10 in the corners for only IMAX DVD DOLBY 5.1 and use an extra Control 10 for upper centre channel?

JBL 4645
    The JBL Control 12 SR have turned up packing could be worse but arrived okay.

These are used and look like they’ve been touring on gigs or maybe in night club?

I’ve umm managed to cut left inside finger at the top and went for water under tap and made a bandage with kitchen tissue and sticky tape I don’t have any bandages.

The cut look mild hard to say I have to type right hand at moment. I’ll give it 4 or so hours to fix and re-dress it and get a catnaps.

So far I managed to use one RA300 and set the crossover on the DCX2496 at full scale! They work!

I’ll have give it a few days for my finger to heal and try and come up with an idea to repair the grills which as you can see, look a bit rough but the Control was made for the rough and tough road! It could be worse I guess?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    Jbl control 12 sr

JBL 4645
    JBL CONTROL 12 SR

I'LL remove the grills later not now i'm not feeling well going to relax with catnaps nowe

JBL 4645
    I managed to get some catnaps and a little relaxing listening to Jarre In China CD sounded clearer over the Control 5 that I have listened to many times. The sound though lows to mids to highs wasn’t harsh or brittle bright.

I then listened to Madonna Immaculate Collection several tracks “material girl and “live to tell”.

I then listened to one of favourite film scoring composers John Williams STAR WARS disc 2 “throne room and end credits” WOW parts of the orchestra hit me where it should or what excited the surroundings in the room I felt kick to stomach and chest and that’s at around less than 95dbc and not a whole of power being used up on RA300 barograph.

With my finger getting a little better I’ll check how it is around 8pm well the very lest if not 10pm and redress it.

I tested wideband pink noise from dts demo disc CD tested each channel looked at the RTA and all looks well over each Control 12 SR.

I have to get the grills straightened out which won’t be all that hard just take my time and give them a re-spray with soft gloss black paint and they should come up shining like a new penny again.

From the sounds of things, oh I forgot to run as few spot sine wave tones using Denon 20th anniversary CD I can’t be asked at the moment to use REW sound generator and walking in and out of the bedroom to living room, I want to relax!

So I’ll test the sine wave tones later I don’t expect to hear any issues the Control 12 SR appears to be sound.

One of the tracks on STAR WARS has a distortion sound on the tympani beat on disc 2 track 8 “the tractor beam/ chasm crossfire” between 4:19 and 4:20 seconds. I have played the track at lower level and though headphones, this isn’t uncommon these issues tend to happen thou very rarely do crop up unless you’re listening.

Sooty has been giving his usual sniff, sniff paw approval and rates Control 12 SR with vintage plastic 5 paws and one can not go against the word of Sooty the Sooty has spoken.

I gather from the rear the phone to XLR are for inputs and outputs to passive subs? I don’t have manual and I can only guess.

What order is the crossover in these JBL Control 12 SR anyone, anyone?

JBL 4645
    Yet again did another frequency sweep of the large JBL and applied some PEQ to get it flattened out. It seemed seamless between the control 5 and with LCR sub bass extension on the smaller JBL GTO1202D muted with Ice Station Zebra as the Russian jet fighters approach Zebra or tigerfish submarine breaking though the ice.

Control 12SR not being used at the moment since I only have two and not four to use only three for fronts LCR.

There is no way no how I can lower the frequency below 20Hz on the dial in frequency on Behringer FBQ2496 it would be nice to trim the level hump. I better watch levels closely on films that have lows below 20Hz.

If I had second DCX2496 it could manage below 20Hz with crossover and a low pass filter.

Thread Information