Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Tightening up the panels with bit of timber screwed in underneath.

Cut two small pieces of wood and placed it side by side of the JBL control 5 its fitted into place it won’t move backwards as the wedge enclosure is butt tight against the wood.

I’ll see how much more I can get down for tonight before getting some kip as I’m buggered for standing up for 10 hours my feet need some kip!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

JBL 4645
    Day 2 now it might be possible to get the plasterboard cut and fitted up today thou each cut has to be the same within.

Sooty had a little explore.

The loudspeaker cable needs to be revamped at later time with fresh equal lengths of x10 runs. I drilled in holes into the base platform to poke the cables though.

I have to get two more of those horn tweeters and x2 new JBL HF tweeters a bass mid. The five-screen matrix is still a long way off before being up and running.

JBL 4645
    I’ll attach some wood underneath the base so that I can fit in extra plasterboard going around the CRT and some beams on the sides of CRT so that the plasterboard fully covers the front, but what if? What if I get a cheap flat screen TV no big deal it should still fit with simply changing the plasterboard for the lower part of the baffle wall.

I’ve mark out 11 inch from the centre of each JBL control 5 and used an off-cut to centre up where I want the beam to go. I have place x5 beams vertically so the each panel of plasterboard has something to bite into for a secure fit.

In-between each JBL control 5 I’ll attach some small cut of wood so the plasterboard bites into the bottom part with beam running vertical towards ceiling.

Cut the plasterboard so that the shape fits around nicely (I can’t mess that up so, “measure twice cut once”).

Well I’ve had 30min break back to living room.

JBL 4645
    At the rate its going the wood side of it has taken up most of the time. I still have to put in braces to stiffen up the vertical beams. I don’t see the plasterboard cutting for at least another day or two, maybe.

Sooty got behind the camera for shot. I think he’s good photographer, he’s got a keen eye.

All the JBL control 5 can be slid out from within the THX baffle wall. All I need to do is remove the grill the place my hand inside the port and pull it out. I didn’t see that idea a few days ago it just came too me. So that makes that part easy.

I might have some spare off cuts of plasterboard to put in the left front corner as its only 18 inches between the chimney breast and the THX home baffle wall.

Some angles around the baffle framing weren’t easy to get the electrical drill in and keeping the drill straight for the holes. So far I haven’t broken a drill bit.

Got some Madonna Immaculate Collection playing to keep m good mood. Oh well back to the living room.

JBL 4645
    Well it’s been a bit of messy night once I got started on cutting the plasterboard. I vacuumed on each cut or slice and shaving of the plasterboard into shape. Only another x4 panels to place up

I’ve been at this now for 15 hours. I’ll get a few more done then get some kip. It’s slowly starting to come into shape.

I’ll place extra plasterboard on the lower part of base platform and around the CRT so al that needs timber beams underneath to give support too the weight above at the moment its fairly tight very little tendency to move.

I placed masking tape around the cuts to keep plaster dust getting over the JBL control 5 and everywhere else.

To move JBL control 5 back into the baffle is easy I just remove the grill and place my hand inside the port and tilt it upwards whilst pushing it backwards then its easy to turn it around and replace the new loudspeaker cable as soon as I get around it.

Also I can move the whole JBL control 5 out if I wanted just tilt it back then grab the bottom and easy it of baffle wall.

I’ll get some cheap car carpet and place several layers over the THX home baffle wall, until it feels nice and spongy and absorbent.

I used handsaw for straight against the plasterboard with the spirit-level to eye marking with pen for the cutting of plasterboard.

JBL 4645
    All the sides of the plasterboard are screwed into the framing. I’ll get a few more bags next week to give it a thorough soundly tight all around fitting.

I have to get installation material out of the loft and put that up or I can buy a cheap roll next week save me the hassle of climbing up into the loft.

Fitting the other 4 panels up is going to be a joy of fun as there are rough edges to shave off until smooth otherwise its going to be a fun rest of the night. My feet are aching after standing up for nearly 15 hours.

I'm buggered my feet are saying: we want some kip.

What material are you using for the wall?

EDIT: I see you are using plasterboard.. Wont that defeat the purpose of a baffle wall? High freqs will be reflected right off the material.

JBL 4645
    Day 3 of the THX home baffle wall build so far its going okay with the odd few problematic encounters that I’ve managed to work around.

Cutting is a slow process but generally there’s nothing to it. The sound in the centre is starting to sound different while playing Jerry Goldsmith STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) on CD.

Looks like I’ll be able to finish the barrier wall this afternoon and then figure out how to get the absorbent material down from the loft. I have that wooden rake that used to hold the audio gear and stool that can help me step up onto the wooden frame and then I’d have to pull myself up though the hatch. If not doable I’ll get some material next week or towards the end of the month as I need to cover the front.

I might not go with car carpet it will be too thin and at the round cost of £20.00 avenge for a few meters it’s going to be a bit costly. So far the THX baffle wall as cost around £60.00 that’s not bad going.

JBL 4645
    Only one panel left to put up now.

The right hand side was rather difficult glad I got that side out of the way now. The left hand side should be a lot easier.

I should have this finished by 19:00 then I can tidy up the mess and mop the floor down and have listen.

JBL 4645
    Finally finished it at around 18:30 and then spent the next 30 mins till around 19:00 tiding up and cleaning and moping the floor over to get all that dust up and the floor came out nice shiny.

All that I left now is to get some absorbent behind it I’ve only partly screwed up most of the plasterboard so that it will be quicker to remove and get behind it.

Its more reverberant behind it as I heard the sound of my voice so that will get sorted very soon.

The front I’d have to look for something down the foam and fabric shops down town to see what I can use.

JBL 4645
    I’ll see what I can do with remaining pieces of plasterboard to see if I can’t get left side wall flush with chimney breast.

I’m going to get a cream soda now and I’m going to relax I’m totally creamed cracked!

JBL 4645
    I’ve temporarily placed the drapes over the window to reduce daylight seeping into the living room while placing a bit of abasement in that area of the room, until I get around to doing the wood work for a frame so that the plasterboard (maybe) or MDF is screwed up to reduce traffic noise down so many -db.

Behind the baffle wall it sounds hollow due to no absorbent material yet! I’ll get around to that part soon! I need to get some duct tape as that is really sticky and would hold well around the edges of the plasterboard that was cut to keep dust going everywhere.

JBL 4645
    Front view shows the masking tape peeling away as its not as stick as duct tape is! I’ll place the duct tape over the masking tape so it overlaps and bonds to plasterboard I’ll get roll of that next week.

I need to put a bit of wood underneath the diy HF tweeter horn thou not bad idea to use a cassette case to tilt the HF downwards.

That’s more or less it for now I have had hours of sleep since finishing it and I’m still knackered! My eyes are feeling heavy my arms and legs too its going to take a week to recover due to my health condition. Three days to get that far and it still needs an extra 3 or 4 more days work on it.

I’m going to sleep the rest of weekend and relax.

I’m still kinder gob smacked at how the sound remains flat and focused its smooth and even without the bumpy like sound as it moves from left to centre or centre to right and left, none of that nonsense anymore.. I’ve mostly be4en listening to CD film scores and few Jerra soundtracks this afternoon.

Sub bass for sub bass extension on JBL (in SW-Remix mode) seems different with baffle wall placed above it just seems different. Same goes with sub bass extension for LCRS only seems different. Once I get other part of barrier wall placed up and I’m thinking of making shallow platform a couple of inches high to place the subs on with something extra else in mind!

Thats all coming together Ash. I see where you are going with this. I'm sure you will make it work out.
    Tip.... If you want to seal the edges of the plasterboard and or attatch a tape of one sort or another give the area a spray with ' Spray Tack ' Thats the spray adhesive that carpet fitters use for edges. You can get it in B and Q in the flooring section usually. Good plan for neatness is to mask the area you want to stick / cover , spray the adhesive and immediately pull off the masking. You will need to let that stuff dry but then your masking / gaffer tape trim will stick like sh##.

PS get a cheap rug !!

Mac

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Thats all coming together Ash. I see where you are going with this. I'm sure you will make it work out.
    Tip.... If you want to seal the edges of the plasterboard and or attatch a tape of one sort or another give the area a spray with ' Spray Tack ' Thats the spray adhesive that carpet fitters use for edges. You can get it in B and Q in the flooring section usually. Good plan for neatness is to mask the area you want to stick / cover , spray the adhesive and immediately pull off the masking. You will need to let that stuff dry but then your masking / gaffer tape trim will stick like sh##.

PS get a cheap rug !!

Mac
    Cheers Mac

Stuff the rug only William Shatner wears a rug You have such an infatuation with rugs. Are you in the rug business?

Spray Tack I'll put that on list it makes sense as the glue would make a good sticky bond.

It doesn’t matter about neatness the pasteboard will be covered in dark black abasement material so the joins the tape stick on it won’t be seen only black barrier wall up in front. Black because if I run the video project the light will reflect onto the white surface and the JBL will be partly visible behind the screen with bright scenes in films.

But the spray tack is an excellent idea! I was also thinking don’t they have plastic that fits around the plasterboard cuts? You know what mean? Probably costs more than really sticky super strong gaffer tape where I’d have meters literally.

You’re right about where I’m going with it and its good complement to making any JBL sound a little better than before and doesn’t cost a lot just a lot of hard work lift and holding things on your own if you have to (do it yourself) I had no difficulty lifting the pasteboard as the sheets cut to size had less weight. A full 4 by 8 sheet no way I’d be wearing the plasterboard as me and the feller found out when carrying it up the stairs the guy was almost wearing the plasterboard.

I’m still cream cracked 3 days as taken its toll on me its been a little mental thinking and physical work. I didn’t make any drawing for this. I looked at other THX baffle walls and the whole principle was easy straight forward.

Thread Information