Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645

4 days in a row before

Well it’s a different feeling when you get a product in your hands and yes I’m going to need at least two more of the same product for the front and four more of the same for the back otherwise I’m buggered to start this project off in the large room.

Nothing well start happen for at least a few more weeks until I’m ready to start placing down a flooring and I want to get that done within 24 hours even if it means working 24 hours myself around the clock, I’ve been known for staying up 4 days in a row before.

JBL 4645
    I’m off down the road in jiffy in moment and get the cheapest know to man quote figure on the 2x2 timbre and over layering which might not turn out to be MDF I’ll have a good look over at what there is and see if it will adapt to the project under the tightest know budgets known to mankind LOL, I’m really a tight a££ if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’m off down the road in jiffy in moment and get the cheapest know to man quote figure on the 2x2 timbre and over layering which might not turn out to be MDF I’ll have a good look over at what there is and see if it will adapt to the project under the tightest know budgets known to mankind LOL, I’m really a tight a££ if that helps.
    be sure its fire retardant -
    you don't want to find yourself in the fiery furnace if things go awry ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    be sure its fire retardant -
    you don't want to find yourself in the fiery furnace if things go awry ...
    Thanks for brining that to my attention! I’ll point that question towards them but I find it highly unlikely one I don’t smoke and two no smoking in this auditorium LOL.

Anyway measured it out and took a few digital images for a visual representation of the room so they can get a rough idea I want sizes need to be cut, so I’m off down the road now should be back in an hour or two.

Thanks for brining that to my attention! I’ll point that question towards them but I find it highly unlikely one I don’t smoke and two no smoking in this auditorium LOL.
    Its not the smoking you have to worry about - you have a lot of electrical equipment running in that room, don't know if you use extension cords or 3 wire power strips or whatever - but if the grid heats up it could cause a fire.

Smokers not required.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645

Plan D has now become plan E!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its not the smoking you have to worry about - you have a lot of electrical equipment running in that room, don't know if you use extension cords or 3 wire power strips or whatever - but if the grid heats up it could cause a fire.

Smokers not required.
    Oh, yeah your right well I don’t have any rats crawling around here Heather so unless one chews it’s way though a mains power line, well I guess that does make things complicated.

Well I present my plan D to Columbia timbre and they couldn’t make heads or tails of? :dont-know

Oh, dear where do I stand now? Well I was then pointed into the direction of chirpy someone who can build this and hopeful within the tight budget plan. So a local chap from Poole will be popping on over tomorrow to have a look and size it up, because even if I have measured it out, they still like to measure it for themselves, just to me sure.

I’ve been looking at the chap’s portfolio and it looks great with what he can build out of wood, from rocking chairs to rocking-hoarse to grandfather-clocks anything that’s wood.

JBL 4645
    Here are few rough idea plans that I drew its not too complicated well, maybe?

JBL 4645
    I’ve just spoken to the chap who has looked at the room and the design issue and he’ll size-up the materials and the cost for doing the sub-flooring and different quotes for the simple box frame that will house the 19” racks as well as additional small materials that need curved cuttings for the curved inward stage as well as curving upwards, within small dimensions.

Take a few days until I get a call from him. I also need to chase-up to see if the paper-work is ready for the chairs, as I left a message yesterday for early call-back on the up-date.

JBL 4645

Smile JBL large room

Slightly changed room’s while being parked directly on top adjacent bedrooms.

My new neighbour said it was vibrating the concrete floor two floors below! Well at least I know it’s performing like it’s suppose to. I think that must have been Crimson Tide (PCM) dts 5.1 THX laserdisc.

So I hope the new room will minimize the low end to small degree.

I’ve applied cable truncking along, above the picture framing around the room to conceal the loudspeaker cables for the surrounds.

The surrounds are all, wired in series.

Later on I’ll fit the front panel of the cable truncking, onto the fitting.

I need to really block the windows up to reduce outside sound and stray light from disruption.

The room is bit lively with slight reverb that needs to be dealt with. It’s kinder hard to tell if the sub bass extension is deeper or more controlled than the other room.

LFE.1 I haven’t tested it out, yet. I’m running, laserdisc transfer DVD-RW Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) Dolby stereo 4:2:4 which as surfactant bass and sub bass lows.

The fronts LCR seem to be performing with good stereo front and dialogue panning is smooth over a narrow (7 feet 6”) to the present listening position, which is 9 feet.

Seating is placed within the sidewall surrounds which are placed high up at (6 feet 7”). The angle is as step as they can go; I’d guess its slightly less than 45°.

The angle of the surrounds is 55” to the listener’s ears.

Also haven’t tried out stereo surrounds with centre back as of yet, maybe later on. Then I can see how well it images around the room, while the monaural matrix surrounds give good envelopment when “Veger’s” lighting thunders around, Enterprise.

Has Enterprise goes though an opening into another part of Veger complex, its accompanied by a nice smooth low end on the JBL 4645 that is in SW re-mix which sends all the low end to subwoofer output.

I normal have this in the OFF setting that only comes active with LFE.1 (Dolby / dts 5.1) sources.
    I still have four more JBL control 1 fitted to the ceiling in the other room that need to be taken down and fitted somewhere into the large room.

The surrounds are all, wired in series.
    Ashley, dood, you are losing my mind...

How many "surrounds" do you have connected in series - what is the resultant impedance the amp is seeing...?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Ashley, dood, you are losing my mind...

How many "surrounds" do you have connected in series - what is the resultant impedance the amp is seeing...?
    Oh, hello there bop. Hopefully 4ohms! If I wired the same bundle that I use for the sides in parallel then I would hear a nasty popping crackling sound, at certain frequencies, under certain levels.

So there is no crackle and pop around here, even with hard soundtracks like Terminator 3 (2003).

The Marantz 1030 has an impedance rage from 4 to 16 ohms? It doesn’t state this on the back, unlike the Marantz 1050 which states on the back 4 to 16 ohms.

The control 1 are 8 ohms as stated on the box, thou I thought the control 1 was 4 ohm rating. There are several different types of, JBL control 1, mine are the silver colour.

I’ve stuck a few drapes up at the front, thou I didn’t have enough to go around the whole room, and besides they look very tacky. LOL

I’ve kinder muted the LCR and sub bass extension for LCR and LFE.1 while listening to the surrounds with centre back activated, to give me an idea of what else I can experiment with in this room.

I don’t know, I’m not certain if I want to fix the matrix overhead surrounds to the ceiling because the rest of the surrounds are fairly close to the ceiling, within 14”.

I might add a few more sidewall surrounds and few more for the back, which brings me to 10, unless I can figure a way around to use the matrix rear surround on the Pioneer VSP-200.

I’m also presently looking at far rear side corners where some surrounds can be fitted to. I’ll have to cut some timber and drill the wall and wall-plug it with liquid nails and then screw-up, two JBL control1 within 30” distance from each other.

Before I added any more surrounds I'd get a bigger telly, oh and a lampshade

I use 6x control 1a's which are 6 ohm in my ht setup mated to a Paradigm 1000sub all driven by a Marantz 5400-it's a small room tho'

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Before I added any more surrounds I'd get a bigger telly, oh and a lampshade

I use 6x control 1a's which are 6 ohm in my ht setup mated to a Paradigm 1000sub all driven by a Marantz 5400-it's a small room tho'
    The lampshade isn’t a problem I can use the one that was used in the other room. It shouldn’t take me, no more than 10 minutes, before you see a transformation.

As for the CRT its saying put because I don’t like the look of flat screens, the image lags really bad on some models and I don’t have the money to spend on a flat screen and the time going around all the different stores to see which one looks best for both laserdisc DVD and this HD thingy.

A video projector would be a big yes, but again I don’t have the money for such a model, even an affordable model below £900.00.

Let’s see thread of your set-up or you can place it here. Oh LOL you’ve been reading too many home theatre magazines, we call it home cinema in the UK, HT is the U.S. term. But why split hairs, I know what you, mean.

Now I’ll going and get that lampshade!

JBL 4645
    One lampshade now installed tacky but it will have to do for now.

JBL 4645
    Changed the fronts LCR back with a mixture of JBL control 5 and control 1 as to with the crossover frequency.

LCR
    LF 40Hz Butterworth 18db 521Hz Butterworth 18db

LCR
    Mid range to high
    510Hz no crossover filter used on the highs leave that to the THX re-eq to address that part.

The control 1 will sound loud on the mid to high range.

Thread Information