Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Watched some highlights from “The Living Daylights” a few weeks back. Its go a brilliant six-track Dolby stereo mix. Nice low end over LCRS and LFE.1 that rumbles loud enough!

JBL 4645
    This Wednesday, I brought a rather go cheap Pioneer DVD player DV-515 that had been chipped for multi-region, for £20.00.

It’s in rather good, nick given its a few years old.

I was rather surprised to see Sooty so quiescent when I got back. Usually he sniffs out new items for Sooty “Paw Approval”.

I ordered same day the sci-fi underwater/horror (Alien meets The Thing) “Leviathan” (1989) scope 2.35:1 Dolby stereo for £6.76 sounds good. Saw Leviathan in Dolby stereo type SR when it opened in cinemas back around 89’. I liked the Dolby SR mix on the film and the Jerry Goldsmith score.

There was another film of similar theme that same year, called “Deep Star Six” and of course “The Abyss” which is considered to be the best underwater films of 89’.

I’ll be keeping a look in the “free ads” on the internet for any bargains being sold at nutty prices.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

JBL 4645
    I watched Disney’s sci-fi adventure “The Black Hole” (1979) yet again. I made a few special trims and boast on the LCR LF/HF with (HP and LF filters) added to trim the mid to high range so it won’t be over bight hash and a tiny boast in the bass mid range to give the film a warmer feeling over the LCR.

I added a few extra smaller loudspeakers to the left and right sidewall surrounds and placed them at the back of the room, on top of the other JBL control 1, which wasn’t used as The Black Hole has (original monaural surrounds) and only the sidewall surrounds was used.

The extra low end has boasted by +6db with quick SPL db metre reading, rather than wideband pink noise check on the RTA, (which I’ll get around to later on).

The film sounded better this time around than last time, which was bit over bright. I didn’t run any HP/LP filters last time, (last year with this film/DVD).

The film got a pressurized deep rumble towards the end, as our hero’s travel into The Black Hole.

On the surrounds again which have plenty of ambient low end and few higher peak loud moments, that enclosed around my ears even more with the low end well, bass/mid was satisfying enough. The sub bass extension handle the last portion down 20Hz, not that The Black Hole goes down that far, it’s rather limited in terms of its 1979 Dolby mix which is about 30Hz or tiny trickle under the 30Hz mark.

The speakers on the back are Panasonic that I found dumped out the back late last year.

Only the bass driver is working the mid range/high driver is not connected as I only want some low end added.

I’m trying to find a way around so that I can run the back half along with the sidewall surrounds yet, make it easy to switch over to centre back surround without the need of adding more surrounds to the back wall that will function alongside with the sidewall surrounds with regular matrix/mono to discrete mono or stereo surrounds.

JBL 4645
    I’ve just finished doing a few frequency sweeps of the surrounds left and right. I had to re-plug the surrounds outputs to left and right fronts so that the mono frequency sweep signal to work.

There’s not a great deal of difference its very subtle rise between each one with and without the bass extra.

Well if I had PEQ for the surrounds rather than a basic EQ I could tackle the few tiny peaks but I’m, not moaning it’s not as bad as I thought it was.

JBL 4645
    Left JBL surround arrays with bass extra

JBL 4645
    Left JBL surround arrays without bass extra

JBL 4645
    Right JBL surround arrays with bass extra

Well a noticeable boast in the 40Hz to 60Hz range with bass extra, with slight dip in the range without bass extra.

I didn’t bother doing a frequency sweep with the EQ’s muted.

It’s not bad all with basic EQ all it, needs is PEQ to adjust for slight smoothness.

JBL 4645
    Right JBL surround arrays without bass extra

JBL 4645

JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    The mono sound of the single microphone ECM8000 picking up the sound of the film in the living not too bad. It needs a bit more mid to top end on the recording otherwise the sub bass extension that was used on the DOLBY STEREO 4.2.4 matrix isn’t all that bad its not over distorting like most I’ve heard on youtube.

I’m playing this back from pc audio out to audio in on the AVR though the same JBL sound system. The mid range sound bright or loud on my ears last year, it might be the level on the sub or sensitivity of the ECM8000 is exaggerating the low end a bit. At 0:53 it drops a deep tone in the

The Secret Agent getting kicked in the Bollocks LOL that’s felt!

JBL 4645
    First edition THX DVD Alien original theatrical release 1979 director Ridley Scott talks briefly about the deafening roar of 6-track DOLBY STEREO that was released on 70mm with up to six tracks of discrete sound thou only three was used or the screen channels one for the surrounds and two “baby boom” LFE.1 “boom channels”

JBL 4645
    So far I think the reduction of the 1 KHz as smoothed out some of the masking issues of the LCR practically over left and right after analyzing using one of a few RTA analyzers that I have…

TrueRTA tends to be too fast and I don’t have the high tolerance level of coolness to watch randomized frequencies peaking over the 10Hz to 20 KHz.
    I use the Technics SH-8055 that I can work faster with and by plugging two channels into it Left and Centre where centre is constantly connected to it. I set the level at first using the pink noise from the AVR to equal level over its narrow middle frequency range. Then I use (wideband pink noise all-channels track 14) from a dts test disc that came with the dts decoder that I bought back around 1998.

Okay looks good on LCR all is matched!

Now play some moments from Moonraker opening credits while I monitored the Left and Centre looking at what frequency goes higher over the centre channel.

The vocals’ was peaking mostly at 1 KHz and a few high sounds now and then on the centre along with electrical bass guitar sound. I then monitored in the room with the SPL db placed middle front and then at seating location some of the 1 Khz tones was many db higher in the room so I trimmed the 1 KHz down with same Q filter width on left centre and right.

ABC input on the DCX2496

1 KHz
    -5.7db
    Q 3.5

LF LCR DCX2496
    Channel 2 left front LF
    1 KHz
    -10.0db
    Q 2.0

Channel 3 centre front LF
    1 KHz
    +3.0db
    Q 1.8

Channel 5 right front LF
    1 KHz
    -10.0db
    Q 2.0

So far so good a few other frequencies need to be sorted out in this fashion by looking at the level of frequency direct on the SH-8055 than seeing how bad it looks in the room for correction.

I’d step down and look at other frequencies
    25Hz
    40Hz
    100Hz
    163Hz
    250Hz
    500Hz
    1KHz
    2KHz
    4KHz
    8KHz
    16KHz

The lower tones between 25Hz and 100Hz would be tricky since I might have peaks in and around 30Hz to 40Hz and dips in and around at 40Hz to 50Hz then peaking up a bit and down again in and around 60Hz to 70Hz and flatten out in and round between 80Hz to 100Hz.

I have to take some wild guessing and random switching back from the direct RTA to in-room RTA response at the listening sofa position.

Or maybe a few un-costly Behringer DEQ2496 might have an easy timing on the frequency action. I can set the TrueRTA to peak response but its still a bit iffy and I need a direct response for reference and its not easy to hook up leads leading from AVR to the audio mixer then over to the pc so that I can switch though each channel for close monitoring.

JBL 4645
    I’ve been listening to the end credits or part of the remaining seconds of “The Saint” (1997) leading up to the end credits sounds smoother without left and right drowning out the centre channel mix.

The centre mix eventually fades down to mute level while left and right plays along with stereo surrounds that is many db down from left and right front, but still audible.

Chapter 2 or backing up a few minutes to where a tape recording plays that sounds on centre then panned hard to left front as Templar (Val Kilmer) listens to his next assignment.

JBL 4645
    "The Saint" (1997)

I have tiny amount to sort when the voice of the radio announcer on centre channel grandly fades down as the left and right fades up the word “inexpensive” is the last dialogue sound on the centre and only a remaining few frequencies need to be sorted out to make the sound clearer.

Okay sussed it. I muted the HF on left and right and the word “inexpensive” sounded clear so I know it’s down to few frequency bands over the HF left and right that needs to be reduced (but carefully).

Thread Information