Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Just peeking inside the box-set no sign of any face huggers as of yet…yikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Laserdisc goes where no laserdisc as gone before…This is not complete NTSC Star Trek collection as I brought most of them separately (along with a few PAL editions only and the box covering for the PAL editions. Star Trek V is P&S the rest are widescreen scope 2.35:1 apart from Star Trek VI which is super35 2.2:1.

Nice

I have some of the Star Trek LD also, I'll have to check and see which ones.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I have some of the Star Trek LD also, I'll have to check and see which ones.
    I’m betting the laserdiscs are in cardboard box like mine.

Yes see which ones you have…one can not keep track of all things these days.

Yes, some of them are in a box.

I'll probably have some time next week to go through them.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I'll probably have some time next week to go through them.
    I thought as much inside a cardboard box.

I laserdiscs displayed out fill three boxes in the bedroom.

I imagine you have a bit more than a few boxes.

JBL 4645

Dry joints! Fluorescent display.

With the fluorescent display keep cutting-out and the inferred as well I decided to strip the front panel display right down to an almost bare so that I can see what is causing the short.

As it turned out it was dry joints on several pins connecting the devices to the PCB that had come lose. It’s a common thing and was surely glad it was a simple thing to put right.

I re-soldered the pins tested the AVR by sharking and pressing around (the fluorescent display) to see if it cut-out and it stayed intact working.

The only other slight issue is the master volume control. It doesn’t quite go and down the db scale at the twist of the knob. It tends to wonder slightly. Now if I turn it steadily it will respond as well as it responds well with the remote control.

Well that’s that I’m going to put it all back together. This is up-keeping, maintenance these little things need to be done once in while.

Now I have to re-plug all the leads as it looked like birds nest when I un-plugged the leads, I had to strip all the leads out and start over again, sigh lol.

Sooty wanted to play the part of The Cable Cat. As I was sorting out the lengths of leads he seemed curious and interested. I had to put him in he bedroom to clam down while I re-plug 60 plus leads sigh.

JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Okay I’ve watched I disliked the format war between HD-DVD and Bluray these past years, that left one contended standing.

So this morning at ASDA while shopping I saw Philips BDP3000 for £97.00 pounds. I kinder hesitated for while looking at the specific features it had that included DVD playback.

HDMI I don’t have at present with current flat screen but I can survive with the look of the image on the regular Panasonic CRT widescreen.

The component RGB with 1080i on the LCD video projector that supports HDReady looks marvellous when comparing the same film that I brought today Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines is slightly lacking resolution on DVD.

Other features

Dolby TrueHD
    dts 2.0 digital output
    Divx/Divx Ultra
    BD Live
    X.V. Colour

Plus I have to read though the owners manual a few times to familiarize myself with the device.

I was kinder disappointed that it didn’t support optical output, but I have had no issues as of yet with the coaxial digital out that is plugged into my 9 year old Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select. The Dolby digital indicator displayed without a problem as well as dts on DVD and CD dts discs.

One thing I’ve noticed between the region 2 DVD is louder mix that seems to be around 8db 10db higher don’t quote me on that, I haven’t fully analyzed each formats in the audio chain yet.

The bluary Dolby digital seems detailed in someway that I can’t put my finger on, oh I like but I’m very curious as too why I like it.

I’ll do some frequency waterfalls later on and A & B between the two DVD/Bluray.

I can’t, still can’t believe the prices of some Bluray titles £33 pounds for I can’t remember the title, it was Fox/Bluray and all I can say is RIP OFF! They are charge prices that were fit for PAL laserdiscs 12 years ago…sigh.

Well I’m going to change my pre-order for Star Trek next week for Bluray.

The image of the video projector doesn’t come out too well under certain lighting conditions with Vivitar ViviCam 3785 unlike my, dads phone camera that can take reasonable picture with the light turned OFF.

The next step is towards a new AVR that supports the new Dolby and dts HD features. I’ll be keeping an eye out for model that has THX on it, and not a silly price tag wrapped around it. My Kenwood has lasted 9 years, now than.

Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines was £15.00 pounds at HMV thou I was thinking of buying 2001 A Space Odyssey for £10.00 pounds, but was fearing it might be the same dreadful re-mix with all the crazy wild dialogue panning junked like the 2001 release of the DVD that had virtually all centred with only few passages of (crazy wild dialogue panning anchored in the centre) Sigh.

Now if someone can confirm it’s the version as heard on the 70mm six-track original mix and not the new 70mm I think it was dts70mm that had the remix with split-surrounds SIGH.

Also brought a component lead 17 meters for £17.00 pounds from D.J. Electronics and performs fine. I doubt you’d even get Monster Cable for that price with that many meters of cable, not at there silly otherworldly prices.

JBL 4645
    Over the last few nights I’ve manually re-equalized the LCR by placing the microphone in close proximity on each LCR LF and HF while stepping though each sine wave tone within the 50Hz to 10KHz as I have ran out of EQ filters on the Behringer DCX2496 which as limited parametric EQ bands due to crossover filers.

Yes that’s right I placed (the microphone up really close to the LCR LF/HF up really, really close).

I’ve managed to get the tone in the LF LCR to match-up within the 90% range and I want 100% as well in the HF range.

JBL 4645
    Terminator 3 Rise of The Machines Bluray DolbyTrue LFE.1 nuclear explosion

Screen captures are from the region 2 DVD as my pc doesn’t support Bluray.

JBL 4645
    I’ve been listening to The music of Sibelius - Finlandia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJlvbFzo9fw

That was featured on the end credits of Die Hard 2. Anyway the cinema I saw it at the time UCI had the surrounds mounted fixed to the ceiling some 8 in the larger two screens 5 and 6 and only, 5 I think in the smaller screens since the cinema was only rigged for Dolby stereo optical A/SR.

Well I saw Die Hard 2 several times in Dolby stereo SR and it sounded so neat and fresh in its mixing of atmospheric sounds that had me, look over my shoulder around and above depending on the type of sound or frequency, that tricked the ear.

Well I’ve been thinking of sticking 8 on the ceiling spaced apart and in dead straight line a few inches in from the sidewalls.

Only thing is, this would be relocating the sidewall surrounds a few inches down and total new re-calibration alignment so that they don’t sound like as one but rather a whole surround experience.

Anyway its just an idea for now and who knows I might be soon knocking up x8 more JBL control 1, making the total x18.

The surrounds will have simple switching for height surrounds or just (surrounds ceiling) I just like to simulate the different cinema style, maybe not with the real surrounds as they’d most likely rip the ceiling down!

The control 1 is lightweight and easy to install within minutes.

I saw Die Hard 2 in one of the smaller screens at UCI I’m sure it was screen 4 as I usedto be projectionist there around late 1989 to early 1990.

This is want happens when listening to past classical music; it clicks of an idea, at least it does with me.

JBL 4645
    Here’s is a rough idea of it. The side view has x3 per side spaced apart along the room. The rear has x4 placed in a tighter group. The ceiling surrounds x8 spaced apart along the room leaving several feet apart from the fronts.

Other films that I heard with the original ceiling mounted surrounds.

Willow Dolby stereo A
    This was real treat to listen to it had plentiful atmospheric effects like when the witch in the forest appealing for willow to see that the baby is returned to safe hands.

The Hunt for Red October Dolby stereo SR
    The sound of the torpedoes from the other Russian sub attacking the Red October sounded rather neat that had me looking overhead as the actors looked upwards.

Die Hard 2 Dolby stereo SR
    The title opening of the clash bang and whoosh was impressive. The intercom in the air traffic control tower as the terrorists talk to the tower and the snow windy effects also made the whole thing seem real. Screen 4

Jurassic Park dts
    It was rather muted subtle on the effects ether it turned down on the surrounds or they weren’t up to the task or other, it was mostly front stage, thou I’m sure if the surrounds where turned on/off you’d notice the difference. Screen 6 as well as playing in screen 5 (interlocked) and in few of the smaller screens I think screen 8 or maybe 9 and screen 2 or 3?

The Lost World Jurassic Park dts
    Again a bit muted! The surrounds don’t sound like on the dts THX laserdisc at my home, they are very involving. Saw this in screen 5

Alien 3 Dolby stereo SR
    The sound effects on the open was impressive and when Mr. Aaron makes an announcement over the intercom, also when the power for the furnace is turned ON the humming sound, sounds so eerier and some alien attacks as the creature runs around on the walls and ceiling in the corridors. Screen 4

Always Dolby stereo A
    The part when Pete’s friend Hal has engine problem and pulls the emergency extinguisher is heard overhead uniformly. Screen 4

Born on the Forth of July Dolby stereo SR
    The helicopters passing overhead and ricochets whizzing though the air! Screen 5 and screen 4

Tango & Cash Dolby stereo A
    Helicopter flyby during the opening of the film was rather neat sounding. Okay let’s do it. screen 4

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Dolby stereo SR
    This had so much happening in its far too long to even list! Okay the airplanes flying around that made me feel dizzy and the bullet passing though 4 Nazis as Indy ices them! Screen 4

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country Dolby stereo SR
    The shockwave rushing off screen and over the arrays of surrounds in the larger screen 6

Hook Dolby stereo SR
    A nice treat as it is with most of Spielberg’s films. The music just swirled around the surrounds overhead. Screen 4

Waterworld dts
    again the surrounds slightly soft. I think it was the dynamic range of the surrounds for dts which has full spectrum sound spec from 20Hz to 20KHz maybe there where being cautious as not to play them too loud fearing they might get busted in? Screen 5

Apollo 13 dts
    Again same issue thou the part where the manifolds has the fuel being bumped up the Saturn V was slightly noticeable but rather soft compared to the other cinema I saw at, and that was optical sound not digital. Screen 6

Backdraft Dolby stereo A
    The rushing fiery effects blasting around my ears while making me duck was impressive. Screen 4

Terminator 2 Judgement Day Dolby stereo SR
    A very soft surround but noticeable when the terminator has smoke blown in his face at, bikers bar after the opening titles. Screen 5 (interlocked with screen 6)

Tomorrow Never Dies dts
    Not much I can really remember about this one I know I was sat front row and centre and the onscreen effects was rather impressively crystal clear. Screen 6

I’ve seen many others but the surrounds up until early 2000 was changed for sidewall surrounds. I have no doubt the cinema has third makeover with the speaker system since early around this year 2009.

JBL 4645
    I plugged the Philips Bluray player into the (internet rooter via ether connector) last night and upload a new feature that was an image enhancement (cinema 21:1).

JBL 4645
    I’ve just put-up the silly small Christmas tree up and the lights are down! I’d have to get new LED low powered lights. Sooty has taken again a fascinating curiosity and as soon as I turn my back, he leaps up onto the sub, so he can fondle with the tree and most likely rip it down as he did last year, the little bugger.

I have gone though each bulb on the x-mas lights with magnifying glass checking for broken burnt filament. I replaced the first light as it’s the fuse light and nothing so simple less than £10.00 lighting LED should last longer, yet I’ve hardly used theses lights, just typical, huh.

Presently listening to Eyna in stereo two-channel only.

Thread Information