Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve got a friend that wouldn’t mind knocking a hole in the wall! He’s got an idea that might work I’m going to size the image up with a round plastic piping at 4”?

I’ll post the pictures before 9pm UK time to see if this works?:dont-know

JBL 4645

Valkyrie 2008

It kinder works but its miles off and its back to my idea with box made to fit only its dogs dinner a fair few hours work.

The image is cropping off when tilted downwards and its got to be slightly titled due to the height of the projector so a fair 8”w by 6”h hole to make it work.

I tested the picture frame at 4” depth and tilted the projector downwards with ample space and that is what is needed for tiny port window.

The work may commence around Monday next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    Just spoken to my friend and I can not believe how he is trying to persuade me to use 6” plastic pipe! I mean how ludicrous is that? I don’t know of any cinema in the world that does that or the ones I’ve worked in!

If and when I decide to place DIY anamorphic lens in (which isn’t going to be this year). But round hole is just mad! Just because he thinks the lens is round doesn’t mean the hole has to be round! Square!!

Sod it I might as well attempt this myself only thing is I might have to place some lintel in the hole or make the small narrow depth box tough as nails.

All I need is some chisels to chop away at small section of the wall then size the box up for the hole.

JBL 4645
    Just measured from where the door frame stops at to where the wall starts from both sides and its just under 5” in depth.

I haven’t got rule with millimetres but a shy under 5” not even 12mm.

JBL 4645
    I’ve been measuring up the screen again tonight with “2010” (the year we make contact) I’ve Increased the scope size width from 71 inches to 74 height 31 to 33 inches with only 3 inches away from the control 5 five-screen.

Basically just moved the screen back 7 inches. As for the hole when placed back around 5 inches behind the wall should gain an extra few more inches? Possible 79 80 inches width or 6 feet 7”/8” so for now 6 feet 2 inches would have to do until the hole is made.

Diagonal size 92 inches 7 feet 8 inches on max throw with 4.3.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Very funny, I was attaching the screen to the ceiling. I actually have The Wizard of Oz on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Very funny, I was attaching the screen to the ceiling. I actually have The Wizard of Oz on DVD.
    Great flick... though years ago I once tried to watch it while in a somewhat "altered mental state" and it honestly freaked me the f%ck out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Great flick... though years ago I once tried to watch it while in a somewhat "altered mental state" and it honestly freaked me the f%ck out.
    I’ll get you! You little pretty and your dog too!

JBL 4645
    Now if I can be remained undisturbed from the sodden telephone as I was a few days ago!

The Matrix is cool thou I have the region 2 DVD with a few minor head-butting cuts as head-butting was banned in the UK around mid 1990’s to around 2000? The BBFC is more f5)_ked up than I thought they where!

Excellent audio commentary which doesn’t exist on the region 1 or 2 DVD until now I think its on the blu-ray! Wow so I had to wait all these years 10 years until some Muppet got his head out of ass to do it right!

I’ll think I’ll wait for buying Blu-ray since the studios have been taking the piss with consumers!

Brainstorm too bad it can’t be presented the way it looked in the cinema and it is possible to format the film with narrow like W/S 1.85:1 centred in the middle of the screen and for the all the POV shots scope 2.35:1 where the image should expand outwards would work a treat on DVD.

All you need is two dual versions of the film one for those idiots who like vertical expansion of the fame that looks really naff because it just flattens the films impact!

The other version would be the way it seen and I haven’t seen this in the cinema I’ve only read about it in Cinefex magazine years ago.

Enemy Mine is somewhat different in many ways over the region 2 DVD its PAL laserdisc its got difference in the opening when the spaceships have an out of space battle (dogfight). There’s a music score that has nice pulsating beat that isn’t accompanied on the region 2 DVD Dolby 4.0 discrete.

Men In Black well its kinder hardly played anymore great Dolby stereo 4.2.4 mix too bad I wasn’t running Dolby AC-3.

Stargate I like this version theatrical over the extended cut region 2 DVD. Why can’t they just add both versions rather than wasting money and pissing me mighty off!

“There can only be one” Highlander why does some Muppet want to remake this!? This version p&s is awful looking and the Dolby mix seems a bit botched up on this transfer, kinder reminds of third generation VHS copy.

West Side Story wow I like the interdiction with Robert Wise briefly talking about the transfer from 70mm to laserdisc it’s the kinder thing that turns me on.

The mix is different to the later version region 2 DVD seems like someone has been messing with the mix for the wicked dialogue panning.

Con Air is very rare play here, thou I like the part when the guy gets tossed out the airplane and crashes into the window shield of car waiting at traffic lights, damn that’s that loud and funny at the same time.

Demolition Man you’re even better live than laserdisc not a bad transfer with picture and Dolby 4.2.4. The region 2 DVD would get more plays as its in six-track like the theatrical Dolby SR-D version.

The Ghost in the Darkness sounds wicked on PCM over region 2 DVD analogue track thou the Dolby digital track six-track mix shines with bit more loudness and kick.

Saw this in JBL equipped cinema ABC screen 1 Bournemouth which is now wet fish because they don’t have the bottle to turn the fader up to mark “7” or allow the proper kick from the screen stage to subs.

The Rockeeter thunders nicely on this CAV laserdisc with freeze step be step frame analyzing. The region 2 DVD being six-track Dolby or Dolby 5.0 hmm weird what no Baby Boom track now either someone is playing silly buggers and taking consumers as Muppets needs to sort this out!

Unforgiven wow wicked film gritty and cool musical score end credits.

The Professional sounds really neat on this laserdisc with a few cool off-screen dialogue panning it’s the guy he has gun pointing at me.

Twister is rip roaring wicked THX laserdisc. This was heavily played around the same time when it arrived on laserdisc while still playing in UK cinemas around 1996. Wonderful CAV transfer and PCM Dolby 4.2.4 thou I’m sure the Dolby AC-3 would be near or on the same par with the region 2 DVD. I have three versions of this now! Two editions on region 2 DVD and the THX laserdisc of course. -Cow! -Another cow! -Actually I think that’s the same one.

Earthquake not quite the same but for scope 2.35:1 its close. It’s the earthquake rumbling deep effects that was missing a tiny bit during the Big One! The region 2 DVD just goes nuts at chapter 8 and if you can stand to bare 8 minutes of this via the original theatrical presentation well done because it was frigging LOUD! And I saw it three times!

Picture transfer isn’t too bad for laserdisc and nice CAV side 3 is cool with theatrical trailer.

What it really needs is real large cinema PA stage LCR to play this with because most of the rumbles impacts would be playing in moderate levels while the LFE.1 adds a deeper lower frequency rolling rumbling effect that goes mute during the elevator/lift sequence then cuts back in after the strawberry jam files out and plasters the screen It would have looked good if a subtitle came up on the screen PUT YOUR 3-D GLASSES ON NOW!

JBL 4645
    Casper was perfect example for showing off the abilities of the Dolby 4.2.4 later version was dts six-track mix buti had to take backseat for a region 2 DVD which isn’t too bad the THX laserdisc did get more than few showings before settling down in its single laserdisc jacket.

Strange Days THX laserdisc with its P.O.V. opening sequence is neat for Dolby stereo 4.2.4 thou the region 2 DVD is fully isolated six-track discreteness is far more thrilling with voices panned behind and to (side to side LCR) cool end credits music.

DragonHeart THX laserdisc is another example of wicked panning like when Draco files around Bowen his voice swoops around the arrays of surrounds defused in Dolby stereo matrix 4.2.4 and clearer in six-track Dolby stereo.

Wicked LFE.1 effects when called for that would be missing on Dolby stereo 4.2.4 mix.

E.T. I could have kicked Spielberg for that naff 20th WTF edition! I think the guy is going senile walkie-talkies is the guy loosing the plot?

Thank god I still had the original theatrical version Dolby stereo 4.2.4 PCM PAL laserdisc.

The first edition 20th region 2 DVD I gave to a friend because he doesn’t know what to listen for so its no loss to me, besides he has naff sound system.

The three disc region 2 DVD was almost stepping in the right direction! It includes the (almost original theatrical with the a few noticeable clear stands out like sore thumb sly sound effects) I’ve pointed this out before and I’m sick of mention it.

It’s obvious these retards don’t know the meaning or understand what the meaning of (original) means [sigh]!

Go and listen and I mean really listen!

Sneakers its all about the information cool flick with cool Dolby stereo 4.2.4 not sure when six-track Dolby stereo version will surface on region 2 DVD thou it doesn’t matter the film was released internationally in Dolby stereo SR I think.

I transferred the film to DVD-RW I think a few years ago, haven’t played it since. I’m sure I made DVD-RW hmm???

Cutthroat Island THX laserdisc talk about Cutthroat because the BBFC went batshit on the region 2 DVD and hacked it up badly with really silly cuts for 15 certificate that really does take the piss!

Well at least I have the illegal version so I can stick my fingers up at the BBFC and call you every foul word under the sun because I don’t like it when wankers take the piss with the consumer!

Robocop 2 more bloody gore and this had few creepy moments and plentiful of laughs. Mayor Kuzack: F&ck you, you old senile bastard! This is bullshit! F&ck you!

Wicked bass LCRS/sub bass extension on the footfalls bangs and crashes explosions etc.

Natural Born Killers wired flick and why on Earth did I buy this!? because it was controversial at the time of release in UK cinemas at the same time I had the laserdisc and really what a load of fuss.

Not a bad Dolby stereo mix with cool CAV side so you can playback (Robert Downey Jr) Wayne Gale death sequence That’s a f&cking joke right? [Bang! Bang! Bang-bang- bang!!!]

The English Patient THX laserdisc must have only seen this less than 10 times played fully including the region 2 DVD. Saw this at UCI screen 5 in Dolby stereo SR as they didn’t install the Dolby CP500 till around 1997 I think?

Mighty Joe Young was recently played on region 2 DVD last month in six-track Dolby stereo thou the laserdisc is encoded in Dolby AC-3 the PCM isn’t too bad plenty of loudness and soft jungle sounds of birds tweeting all around.

Congo wicked THX laserdisc this bugger I saw a few times at the ABC screen 1 which is now called a wet fish because back around the time it came out, it wasn’t a bad sounding cinema. Must have saw this two or three times in Dolby stereo A type because they where too tight ass to buy Dolby SR cards for the Dolby CP200 in screen 1 and they’d rather use Dolby SR with some films in the naff still to this day screen 2 WTF!

Anyway this bugger really crackles nicely. The region 2 DVD sparkles a bit more with isolated six-track Dolby stereo.

Clear and Present Danger THX laserdisc was one of the first Dolby AC-3 arrivals on laserdisc to exhibit six-track Dolby stereo discrete must be worth a lot of money now, one of those rare things.

The region 2 DVD allows me to hear it the way it was heard in the cinema thou the ABC screen 1 didn’t install Dolby digital fully until around early 1998 I think?

Seven or Se7en wicked cool tense thriller. What’s in the box? The region 2 DVD with its Dolby –EX wow seems to work will all films with decent spilt-surround stereo surrounds mix!? [Sigh]

Blue Planet cool CAV laserdisc IMAX with bombastically loud PCM thunders with roaring ripples of low frequency sound waves as the space shuttles lifts off or the thunder lighting effects and some earthquake effects oh, volcanoes as well!

The narration track can be switched off on this laserdisc leaving only the music and effects playing.

The region 2 DVD six-track Dolby stereo has variable language tracks and its isolated discreteness is so choice for listening too.

Basic Instinct is different to the region 2 DVD where I forget which I think it’s the laserdisc theatrical version that doesn’t include a Jerry Goldsmith score when (George Dzundza) Gus questions (Michael Douglas) Nick about the possible motives that (Sharon Stone) Catherine Tramell is the killer she’s coming after me Gus.

Anyway we had ice pick titanium HF piss taking jokes a few days ago with this one.

JBL 4645
    Some more gatefolds laserdiscs.

JBL 4645
    I’m thinking about transferring the laserdisc edition of 2001: A Space Odyssey to DVD-RW as I just can’t stand to bare the rubbish version region 2 DVD with its pants re-mix and botched-up original dialogue panning well almost because its not like blu-ray can present true 5 five screen fronts so WTF!

Grease wasn’t a bad makeover with its re-release and the THX laserdisc kicks nicely so does the region 2 DVD in wonderful six-track Dolby stereo so really neat sound engineering mixing.

Forrest Gump I seem to recall the naff reviews on its sound by some magazines stating its fantastic or has lots and lots of surround sound? A Dolby stereo 4.2.4 will do that and with no real way of telling what is a surround rear because the front effects like stereo rain or music will filter into the surrounds making them sound constantly active. Its only when you do hear an effect panning you go wow.

Listen to it in six-track Dolby stereo it’s a totally different ball game entirely thou I only have the region 2 DVD along with PAL laserdisc PCM. Most of the rain effects are placed over LCR while the surrounds remain mute in the six-track Dolby mix as intended or mixed by the re-recoding mixers.

There is way to make the six-track constantly surround you or be active from start to finish.

Use stand-alone Dolby pro-logic decoder for the stereo surrounds and second Dolby pro-logic decoder for the L/R fronts and switch the front one to Dolby pro-logic while feeding the outputs from different output and send it to the surround preamp decoder and plug it into one of the two inputs that will also allow the now and then normal surround effects to play while keeping the surrounds activated from start to end of the film.

It takes a bit of juggling to get the balance correct but it does work a treat and your friends or guest wouldn’t know the damn difference.

Escape From New York He’s dangerous sir. Call me snake. I rather liked this when I brought this privately many years ago nice audio commentary track and additional extras. The region 2 DVD discrete isolated six-track Dolby stereo has but one pisses me right off sound mix!

He’s dangerous sir is originally mixed for right front as the guard is off-screen to the right. What the f%()king mixers have done is mixed it and placed it in the centre and that deserves a kick in the bollocks who ever they are because they don’t fool me for one second!

Starship Troopers I think I already mentioned this?

Cape Fear wicked once you heard it at the Empire in THX JBL 13KW plenty of the same here with the NTSC laserdisc. The region 2 DVD isolated six-track Dolby stereo mix is spot on with some cool discrete 100% sounds or music placement over the LCRS with a few now and then LFE.1 track effects.

Striking Distance transferred this bugger to DVD-RW for quicker viewing some wicked cool Dolby stereo mixing too bad there isn’t six-track Dolby stereo mix available on region 2 DVD as if yet.

JBL 4645
    Some more gatefolds laserdiscs.

JBL 4645
    Just finished watching, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this afternoon sound nicely matched to the on-screen action with Dynamic EQ enhancing LCR LF/HF fronts from a flag fluttering in the breeze to left too a convoy of trucks and cars moving across right to centre.

Thread Information