Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    I’m really chuffed with this transfer of Cape Fear. I’ll be keep a close eye out for more green offending searing effects because it really ruins the film/DVD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Just noticed during the high intensity of lighting on Cape Fear itself a several green smearing effects! It would appear this is film to transfer issue.

JBL 4645
    I think the issue lies between the blue? Most scenes in Terminator 2 and others have blue like colour and when bright hot white light is present in the scene something kinder gives a green smear.

JBL 4645
    I took a few pictures late of and in the early hours of today Cape Fear (1991) with my dad’s camera Samsung. it was slightly better at the screen capture thou some artefacts managed to get onto the image. The image looks kinder like photocopy on cheap happy shopper paper.

But at least its better than my camera ViviCam 3785 where the image just came out too damn dark.

I just can’t get over how it sounds without having to stare at JBL speakers rather than let the magic of JBL make the whole image come to life.

JBL 4645
    I just like to get the screen a bit winder and that’s down to how far I can stretch the image once placed in the kitchen. If it only happens too be a few inches extra then so be it.

Plus the screen needs to be as tight or close to the screen fronts which isn’t the case at the moment it’s more than a few inches away at 10 inches so a few more inches in at 3 inches away from the speakers should be spot enough and that should gain at least few more in the size., maybe taking image to 77 inches or 6 feet 5 inches maybe?

JBL 4645
    I’ve been looking into a what tradeoffs I get with the picture frame that I have that holds Star Trek generation 35mm film cells. LOL I thought hmm why not play a few extracts from it on DVD and see what will happen if the plastic is placed in front of the lens?

Well it kinder lowered the light level so I might have to find a cheap one that has glass and then try it again to see how much trade-off there is with it.

Other than it the refection from it was making my cat curious as he sees the light bending around the walls LOL.

The phone camera is charging up at the moment so I can’t use that to take a clear picture in the dark, and my regular camera doesn’t see that well under low light conditions as I was going to take picture with and without the plastic glass frame while the image is on the bed sheet.

Maybe later on when its fully charged up.

The bottom is out of focus as I only have one pair of hands as the image was reflecting or inverted onto the wall behind the LCD projector.

JBL 4645
    Fabric looking today! I’ll have a look after I’ve done the shopping and other personal priorities first!

I’ll take along the screen samples that I have to see what tradeoffs I’ll be dealing with, before shelling a small fortune has this has to be achieved on tight low budget.

JBL 4645
    Well that was a rather exhausting look around at three different fabric store shops while comparing the silly over the top cloud 9+ dreamland prices of micro perforated screen with different translucent whites.

The first shop I visited was near too the white level but not close enough to what was needed.

The price was right nothing wrong with that.

The second store had a white like fabric along with nice shine to it not over the top shine just a nicer look to the bed sheet.

The price was right also!

The third and last shop was spot! I found what I want when I have bit of money spare for the required 1.50 metre by 60 inches at £2.35 (white lining) its not too transparent its just right and that’s what I’ll go for in the next few weeks.

I’ll post pictures of the samples I have later on as I just got in and need to rest before taking pictures and uploading.

It pays to shop around!

Also I brought couldn’t resist two small simple picture fames (glass) for the port hole windows at £1.89 each.

JBL 4645
    STOP THE PRESS!

Just got off the phone after another phone around and

HANKNESS SCREENS

Has convinced me to go with a rough price guess of £110 pounds for what I need thou I’d have to re measure the when the projector is in the kitchen for a new size as I need to be spot on!

(MSP) Micro Super Perforated

But £110 for a rough 5 height by 100 inches is cool and micro super perforated.

All that stands in the way now are the sodden bills! I need to get those buggers out of my sodden way so I can start saving up and build my dream small home cinema to enjoy!

http://www.harknesshall.com/datasheets.htm

It’s incredible how Stewart screens charge cloud 9+ silly prices for a non-profit home cinema!

The fabrics as good as they are will have some slight minor imperfection thou the last type the (white lining) isn’t all that bad over the bed sheet its got minor threading!

Anyway just been speaking to a friend and I mentioned the wall the cut out for the projector and he said “no don’t do that!”

He thinks its something other than hollow as this is his field, you know what mean.

So he may have look at it and help me out since I’m going to help him out in his garden 150 feet! It needs cutting down to make it look nice, as its but rugged looking if you know what mean?

Well that’s that for today a new plan a new mission.

JBL 4645
    Only a pitifully 11 dts laserdisc titles it would have been more if production hadn’t stopped in the US.

Godeneye (1995) performs well even with centre back surround that was on of the first demonstrations I tried back in (1998) with Millennium dts 2.4.6 decoder processor with surrounds patched into the Yamaha DSR-70 Pro-logic. Its action was fast freeing the centre phantom from the stereo surrounds and sending it to a very crude around of matching speakers that I ripped out of shopping store that had closed down.

The tank scene was one of the highlights with wreckage skidding along the sides thus freeing other sound elements has came towards you and crashing behind! Then Bond straightens his tie, nice one.

Jurassic Park (1997) the Lost World was great at the time thou the silly last half of the T-Rex stomping and rooming around the streets was ridiculous. The footfalls and bangs crashes and rolling deep, deep, deep low end rumbles is extremely thrilling god knows what this must have sounded like at the Empire Leicester Square! In the home it violently vibrated the floorboards joists to angry neighbours as it travelled into the semidetached building.

Well at least I know the JBL 4645 was doing its stuff.

Last Man Standing (1996) is brutal no nonsense (shoot them up) action adventure as Bruce enters a small town out in the middle of no where? He’s soon troubled by the towns gang that bust his car up, on the first day then he looks for means of settling the score with white knuckled pistol shootouts with plenty of trigger recoil to satisfy most bass and sub bass heads.

Daylight (1996) is sheer bass sub bass overload its jam packed with well engineered dts mix that’s trilling from the start to the very end of the laserdisc. LCR fronts offer realistic amounts of directional sounds and well focused dialogue intelligibility. Stereo surrounds work well with centre back on this one so give it spin as Sly rigs the incoming water into the tunnel as the rivets start to give under the tremendous water pressure overhead, then fires the explosive! Wham!

Watch the levels I mean watch! The levels on the LFE.1 track if played too loud it will do damage!

Born of the Fourth of July (1989) I seem to remember seeing a dts demonstration 35mm test film at Warner Village 12 screen Bristol, when working for them years ago. The film was released exclusively in 70mm six-track Dolby stereo SR and might have been a good candidate for short demonstration has (Ron Kovic) played by (Tom Cruise) battles in the last final moments before being fatally wounded. Action of the riffle shooting outwards with so much individualism in the sound as well as reloading while still under fire! Mortars continue to drop around and impact in the distance with deep thud! Helicopter point looses control and burst into fiery ball of flames!

While Kovic yells out at the enemy along with John Williams score priceless, then takes a rapped thump! Thump! Thump! bullet to chest, and the score goes mute, with the sound of Foley as Ron falls back paralyzed from the waste down onto his back, unable to do thing.

LFE.1 is sparely used on this film so don’t expect a lot, expect plenty from LCRS.

Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) saw this in dts screen 5 thou it could have been screen 6 as both are identical I think my friend must have thrown the tickets away, this was around December if I remember correctly?

Hmmm, anyway the sound was of average playback the cinemas at the time believe it or not had no sub bass extension for Dolby stereo A and SR types much less LFE.1 discrete track. The LCR was bit underwhelming with the EV stage fronts lacked any decent slam of bass mid it was as if UCI Tower Park didn’t have the bottle to show-off.

Directional sounds are more or less identical on the dts laserdisc I seem to remember sitting front and center while my friend was sat middle centre row. Why am I talking about UCI the presentation sucked it wasn’t THX it sucked!

The home presentation just bloody loud JBL lots an lots of low end over LCRS and LFE.1! Opening titles by Cheryl Crow was very cool.

JBL 4645

StarShip Troopers

This is nice favourite pity I don’t have Dolby AC-3 with RF conversion on my two Pioneer laserdisc players as this would sound neat. I have the region 2 DVD version and it’s about the same for images doesn’t appear to be cut. Only difference that stands out is the PAL speed-up but I can just about tolerate it.

This was laserdisc of the week or month when I purchased it years ago oh, 11 years ago, wow! I haven’t played this in a few months now.

JBL 4645
    A few more of the very few that I have leftover in my rather small laserdisc collection now.

Nice thing is the audio digital PCM and listening and comparing the same title side by side while switching though the different modes from (digital to analogue) noting the SPL db difference is a few db lower or higher over the region 2 DVD from Dolby digital multi-track to analogue Dolby 4:2:4 where the sound is compressed similar to laserdisc analogue mode deepening on the film and the amount of compression used?

JBL 4645
    I like the gatefold laserdisc covers often holding two laserdiscs some jackets have two laserdiscs stuffed inside the cover.

More to come

JBL 4645
    Some laserdisc titles I transferred to DVD-RW since I didn’t own it on DVD or some titles on DVD where just so dreadful they where just unworthy.

Some out there on region 2 DVD just ether get hacked up like Predator and then the rotten BBFC and then you get a BS uncut edition several months later that was the same cut as the VHS tape the same cut as seen in the cinema and you just have to think these wankers at the BBFC are taking the piss along with the studios out there.

Most of the laserdiscs are NTSC imports that was until the British customs turned queer overnight I mean homo queer because they along with the rotten British government ruined it for laserdisc collectors and practically killed the market in the UK. PAL laserdiscs where often dodgy poor image and can only support digital PCM sound.

There is no analogue space I think this was due to the image encoding so Dolby digital was only supported by NTSC laserdiscs at the time, well still is only laserdisc has retired.

JBL 4645
    More gatefolds laserdisc covers. The Indiana Jones flicks isn’t too bad on laserdisc and there are some differences between the Dolby mix DVD/laserdisc. Raiders of the Lost Ark in few places lacks some of the low end when Indiana finds that Marion is alive in Nazi tent on the dig site the John Williams score lacks on the tympani boom in Dolby digital English track.

However listen to the other language tracks only there Dolby 4:2:4 can’t recall which but one of them has sufficient low end. The laserdisc doesn’t lack anything besides it being a Dolby 4:2:4.

There was rumours circulating that Dolby AC-3 THX laserdiscs where available but I saw no such realise around late 1990’s.

Thread Information