Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

Hey Ashley, it's time for an update of your front speakers :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-4675C-Cinema-Channel-Monitors_W0QQitemZ120417657850QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Consumer_Professional_RL?hash=item120417657850&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A10|39%3A 1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A100

The JBL 4675C provides powerful, smooth and accurate reproduction of motion picture soundtracks in medium and large cinemas.

This three monitor set has recently been removed from a prestigious THX dubbing theatre and is in a good condition to be passed on to a new home.

... and here are the surrounds and subs:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-speakers-s...%3A1|294%3A100

JBL 4645
    Cheers for the link pos

I’ll keep an eye on it thou if I win I don’t know where I’m going to place them. I take it they mean three x3 JBL 4675-A stage PA speakers and not one x1.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    ... and here are the surrounds and subs:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-speakers-s...%3A1|294%3A100
    The 4645 needs a re-foam shouldn’t be an issue. The 4645C looks intact. And the other speakers are those JBL as well?

I already have surrounds.

JBL 4645
    Slight delay on the LCD video projector as EMPIRE cleaned me out! I don’t want to talk about it!

Since yesterday I was experimenting with placement of LCR by bring them forwards, up to where the chimney breast starts. Now I knew the CR was fine expect L which is in bit of dip or gap due to where the chimney breast ends which is about 18” large open space! All the low end between a cretin range below around 100Hz is suck away!

Now since the L/R was in-line with each other and the L had straight vertical wall, low end was increased at 80Hz and bit low as well as bit higher above 80Hz.

I then noticed C had dropped down on the mid lows, so this wasn’t going to help. I shifted everything back to where it was and looked again to see what else I could get away with.

How about placing them up higher!?

This increased low end of the bass mid further and little trick of adding another JBL control 5 to L thou its tucked in the left hand corner very tightly and placed up a bit higher to help increase or equalize the bass mid. Only LF is sent to the additional JBL no HF.

As soon as I get the LCD video projector and start knocking up base platform at the front along with stud –wall fixed in the left hand corner. So I’m somewhat slightly delayed but there’s no need to rush.

Further analysis.

I need to explore the fronts a bit further before knocking up the base platform.

The fronts look like this at the present moment.

I tried the camera phone and the picture wouldn’t (save as) when reformatted in size and filed under a new name, weird? Also it was grainy I mean it looked dreadful. So I used my smaller 3.0 mega pixel camera over 5.0 mega pixel, weird? Must have had the settings wrong on it, but I can’t really be asked to toy around with it, it works great for video and sound, there you go.

Anyway height as risen from 41 ½ inches to 51 ½ inches about 10 inches seems to make difference in frequency response to listening distance. It’s slightly stronger if the SPL db is brought forwards from where the sofa is.

The LCR may need a slight downwards tilt and little toeing in on the left/right.

Sooty is showing interest to the new locations as he sniffs around the JBL 4645, looking for a way to crawl into the port hole I’d imagine?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    I’m not entirely sure as of yet if the new, new placement of the subs has made any improvement in the low end, until I run a few frequency sweeps with REW to clarify this as valid improvement.

I know from listening to this music track the low end is on my chest more than it was before and at lesser level as well.

From the look of the spectrumlap frequency response the music track is within the range of the original mix so I must be close or maybe the placement of the sub VS the sofa seating position is idea enough, satisfactory enough too place deep low end on the chest and deep rumbles that vibrated my stomach and sofa as well.

SPL db level was showing tighter response slightly woken up response rather than the usual laidback lazy response.

I’d have to run a few frequency sweeps now and see what mess I’ve created?

I need to practice on my microphone techniques a bit because the sound is only being picked up oddly enough by the ECM8000 and yet it sounds distant on the video. The frequency graph waterfall looks normal.

JBL music test with Spectrumlab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kOjPOKcxo

JBL 4645
    There defiantly seems to be valid improve improvement in the “new, new” location to sofa position. Boom seems reduced slightly and the frequency REW graphs looks different from previous ones

I’m testing (original motion picture DVD) Star Trek the Motion Picture 1979 six-track Dolby stereo chapter 9, “wormhole” out at the present moment.

I did rough quick REW and applied some filters I’ll make the changes later on no rush at the

JBL 4645
    I placed the ECM8000 a few feet forwards away from centred sofa position and this wasn’t an all too bad frequency sweep there’s less dips unlike that slim dip at 65Hz which can be improved.

I think I’m making some positive headway here I don’t know why I didn’t stuff the big ole JBL 4645 in that corner months ago.

Question I now face is what do I do about the base platform and the false wall to placed in the left front hand corner? Will the false wall make a huge difference once I get around to building it, or will it problems be the same or will it create new and challenging difficulties to resolve or will it increase and make for better sub bass placement.

I’ve moved the LCR back down to where they where a few days ago, they wasn’t matching the onscreen image thou the are shy under a 1 foot from the image on the CRT.

I’m not going to rush into this without looking at the obstacles that I must first analyze before spending an odd £100 pounds on building materials that might go to waste. I need to treed very carefully look at all the angles and pitfalls to model a better sound into this problematic room.

*Checks thread for incriminating pics*
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

JBL 4645
    From the looks of SPL dbc weighting in relation to the barograph response on the RA300 it looked normal as some of the peaks built up in layers and layers as the Enterprise hurtles towards an asteroid. There was mild boom but most of the 40Hz upwards and few new extra lows on the LFE.1 track dropping below 30Hz which are very mild on the LFE.1 track mix.

Chapter 11 the Vulcan shuttle rumbled roared, I mean thundered with positive cinematic feel.

I might try some more Madonna now that she’s practically on my lap with Live to Tell, it felt good, better than before.

JBL 4645
    I played the opening titles to Arachnophobia (1990) which I saw at CIC/UCI High Wycombe via the JBL THX screen which was totally out of this world sounding in many ways untouchable, that the low end was incredibly deep; it was like someone sitting on your chest!

I came near on the feel it sounded felt better with sub bass extension LCRS than previous with sub placed on the floor in the same corner. There’s bit of dip at 82Hz/83Hz that needs addressing too.

I’ve only taken one REW sweep. I’ll take few more tomorrow, at different locations forwards and few inches upwards. I’m thinking about rising the sofa up a little bit.

There was notable beat attack as the helicopter moved over the waterfalls followed by the deep bass heavy Trevor Jones score. Boom seemed on the lesser side and thou the Eltax A-12R doesn’t have barograph power display it seemed to be within limits.

Might do some waterfalls in-room and direct from the LCR fronts as that is where most of the deep low end resides from during the opening. LFE.1 is sparingly used in this film.

JBL 4645

Smile LCD video projector

Well I’ve finally picked up the LCD video projector and so far even on temporary bed sheet that I attached to some cable truncking fixed in front of the JBL control 5 well almost.

I have to size up the image and start building screen that I can flip up with easy so that I can use the regular CRT screen for viewing.

The LCD video projector is noisy and I have cure for that!

I’m thinking about the knocking a small hole into the wall. Depth is around less than 5 inches so and its mostly plaster wall so it will be rather easy.

I’ll look’in to finding a port window of sort that will be within the requirements. It can’t be no bigger than a few feet so a simple 12 inch square piece of glass or plastic placed on both sides with access to remove it.

Image seems to be mostly up on the screen unlike the CRT widescreen TV that crops off the sides! So I’m rather pleased.

The only downside is saving up now for the next bulb as this should last about year before changing it.

I’ll post a youtube link that I made earlier on.

Oh, it’s not going to change my life but I’ve waited for nearly 10 years to get a video projector so, there it is.

Image is from Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981 scope 2.35:1

JBL 4645

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Nah, you need an audio recording of an old 16mm film projector chattering away to really get a sense of the filmic qualities of your movie!

or mebbe a 35mm projector

or for a grand event, the sound of a 70mm projector chattering!

You could even mix it into your rear surround to give you that grand cinema feeling!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Nah, you need an audio recording of an old 16mm film projector chattering away to really get a sense of the filmic qualities of your movie!

or mebbe a 35mm projector

or for a grand event, the sound of a 70mm projector chattering!

You could even mix it into your rear surround to give you that grand cinema feeling!
    LOL if I wanted that I’d go to the Empire Leicester Square screen 1, where I don’t have to worry about expensive running costs.

One think is clear the sound to image matches up with creditable realistic, yeah sure its not even close or even on par with what Empire is running or most home cinema/theatre unless its costly state of the art digital type, and does the user make a profit on it.

This alone will cost £250.00 each year.

Now lets say for argument sakes I visited Empire once a month for 12 months it would easily set me back £360 pounds, now then!

£250 pounds for a halogen bulb, fine with me.

My living as ten JBL control 1 surrounding the listening area and it does sound wicked for £250 pounds, there it is again “£250” something about that number, fascinates me.

Watching IMAX THE DREAM IS ALIVE at the moment it looks okay its not 15 perf 70mm but it looks better with little loss of the image on the sides as I pointed out earlier.

The sound is wicked when played back with centre back as you can hear a few centre phantom sound images like reporters asking questions at the briefing.

Check it out on your JBL set Heather it rocks! It’s called THE DREAM IS ALIVE and let’s keep it that way.

I’d prefer if studios quit add edge enhancement to DVD titles as I can see the edging far clearer than on the small CRT widescreen, also the aspect ration looks pants on the widescreen CRT.

The grain structure I can see on the image with this video projector because its magnified by about 5 times?

Thread Information