Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by stephane RAME View Post
    Hello,
    The sound of your system it is not too large compared to the size of your image?
    Best regards.
    Stéphane
    Oh, that’s funny always guaranteed a laugh that one the image is small. The sound too loud!

I’m going to run Mr. REW in jiffy has I was only using a 100Hz tone the yesterday I’ll see where I stand for the sub bass and maybe run few sweeps over LCR I might shift the smaller sub around the front and see if I can’t maximize it further I have clear spot on the JBL 4645 I might place it on top and see if the frequency is good or bad.

Wow that Sherry ASDA custard is yummy I feel a little tipsy and its only 10.0% alcohol. Getting pissed on custard now that is funny.

Hello,
    Thank you for your opinion.
    Best regards
    Stéphane

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by stephane RAME View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you for your opinion.
    Best regards
    Stéphane
    Well I’m kinder of neutral at the moment must be the custard?

Okay just tested out the seating position with the second sub bass Eltax A 12-R and the best is ±1.8db over the seating area with 100Hz tone it was at its weakest on the floor but what of the frequencies below it? I’ll run a few frequency sweeps now and see what I can see.

I tried a location on top of the JBL 4645 results not that good then I tired several where it is placed now but not necessarily in the same space as it is now. I tried three and they produced a very low flow of the signal at 100Hz. room modes truly suck.

Umm err yes this picture really sucks it looks really ditchy small I mean small,
    Or maybe I’m starting to senile LOL. Wouldn't be too bad if I had some fabric to hang up or make frame wooden frame and staple black cloth around it the CRT TV then it wouldn’t look as bad as it does now.

I prefer the way I had it a few days ago expect the lows in the upper portion where in a bit of dip.

JBL 4645
    WTF! My cat Sooty is have a ball of fun this morning its running around a like blue ass fly. It only just a few minutes ago jumped though the port hole on the JBL 4645 while it slams out Madonna immaculate collection! I grabbed the camera and stuck it though the other port to get a snap shot. It then crawled out and the it ran for again and went perfectly though the hole in FLASH! I guess Sooty agrees JBL is the purrfect speaker system or it just digs Madonna LOL.

He’s playing with the BUG now and I’ve blocked the other port up one and two, there’s no way he’s going to struggle with the top port hole, before I go [HISSS] and he backs away. talk about a strange cat that likes sub bass? I had to switch the sub off as soon as he went in it and this isn’t the first time.

He was laying down a minute ago before I changed CD to Madonna GH2 and turned the level down a few db as this album rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    A close friend just brought around a SONY KV-X2972U (27” CRT) a few hours ago which has now replaced the Toshiba (20” CRT). I’m a little speechless to say the least. He said he’ll drop the remote off later and I was thinking I have one of those learning universal remotes that I thought had malfunction and I gave it a try. (Yes it accessed the Sony menu features).

The contrast is a bit hot that produced slight bleeding on whites. I adjusted the contrast down that was fairly high on its least preset level.

Colour looks normal when compared with Toshiba. There is slight minor over-scan on the left side of the screen by a small percentage. I’ll see if I can’t adjust the (horizontal variable resistor) later on. A test card needs to be put up on it to see how much error there is on the vertical and horizontal.

Stereo sound on it is fair if not a little narrow due to distance to the seating area and the spacing of the speakers. There are a few basic modes for optimising the stereo sound with (space control) it seems a bit hockey if you ask me, so I leave it in the (off mode).

The image here makes it seem small against the JBL 4645 parked off to the side of it LOL, still it’s a whole lot clear to view than the Toshiba which is still a fine CRT television.

There are assorted modes of SCART inputs which is set in RGB mode at present to offer best picture. There is an S-video input but I don’t have an S-video lead I thought I did not sure of I gave it to my friend a few years ago, no matter I’ll get another S-video lead from D.J. electronics down the road from me. They don’t cost much.

Well I now have new problem! The LCR speakers or left and right needs to be raised up a few inches due to the height of the Sony so its looking around for any resourceful items to place underneath left and right and get the height level correct.

Merry Christmas, Ashley -
    Whoa, thats a nice upgrade!

I'd say find a short cabinet/dresser kind of TV stand and loose the barstool - looks way too tall and too tippy for that nice set!
    Wow - what a nice score!~

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    A close friend just brought around a SONY KV-X2972U (27” CRT) a few hours ago which has now replaced the Toshiba (20” CRT). I’m a little speechless to say the least. He said he’ll drop the remote off later and I was thinking I have one of those learning universal remotes that I thought had malfunction and I gave it a try. (Yes it accessed the Sony menu features).

The image here makes it seem small against the JBL 4645 parked off to the side of it LOL, still it’s a whole lot clear to view than the Toshiba which is still a fine CRT television.

Well I now have new problem! The LCR speakers or left and right needs to be raised up a few inches due to the height of the Sony so its looking around for any resourceful items to place underneath left and right and get the height level correct.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yeah, I agree. Find something for that television to stand on. Put it on the subwoofer.

You wouldn't want your cat jumping on that thing and tipping it over.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Merry Christmas, Ashley -
    Whoa, thats a nice upgrade!

I'd say find a short cabinet/dresser kind of TV stand and loose the barstool - looks way too tall and too tippy for that nice set!
    Wow - what a nice score!~

JBL 4645
    Hey Heather

Nice x-mas day

Well I was thinking of using the original stand that was for the other SONY monitor that is now being used to support the Kenwood AVR DCX2496 Yamaha and the Alesis RA300 and more.

Well if I can figure a way of housing the rest I’d have that stand right underneath, but if I should hear a loud BANG in the dead of night, I’ll know it’s the tube that just hit the concrete floor. It should hold I’ve had a few items on that stool it good stool, a bit too high!

I’ll figure out the height for the left and right in the morning there way too low. anyway me and Sooty are getting some cat naps now I’m shattered!

Happy Boxing Day.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Find something for that television to stand on. Put it on the subwoofer.

You wouldn't want your cat jumping on that thing and tipping it over.
    Jon

Now I was thinking of that but there lies the problem of two possibilities?

One the CRT might be affected with colour strain due to magnet structure, like the last SONY not that I left it stood on top I moved it straight away and placed the sub to one side.

Two vibrations might travel though the SONY due to close contact like the Toshiba that is one reason why I moved it off to the side and placed the Toshiba and now the SONY as is so there will be less vibration at frequencies around 50Hz to 70Hz when playing (sine wave tones).

So this is the way it is also the SONY stand would bring the height down by at least 5 ½ inches, but its being used at present so this is how it is for the time being.

Also the stool is within ½ inch of the JBL so there really isn’t any point, because battling with vibrates would take days, I mean days it would have to be modified strengthened to reduce vibration and I don’t fancy doing that all over again.

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve managed to get the height of the left and right within ½ inch that is the best I can do with what I had on hand. I used the lower part of polystyrene that holds the JBL control 1 in place in the carrying box. Again JBL control leaves something in the packing to provide control LOL.

The picture is leaning to one side we just hit an iceberg!! Women and cats first!

All I have to do now is test the sound with pink noise and a few sine wave frequencies to see what needs correcting.

One thing that I noticed that was strange was the remote control I brought for £1.99p from G&T at Winton LOL its sending a signal out constantly. You can see this if you have video camera and aim the remote at it and press any of the buttons you’ll see the IR inferred light. A friend in electronics showed me this effect, that only video cameras can see the IR where we can’t, now think about that, hmmm interesting.

So I have to remove one of the batteries to prevent them from going flat!

JBL 4645
    Measured a simple sine wave at 20Hz with one port blocked up and walked around the flat and noticed that the bathroom some 28 feet away was 87dbc and then with two ports blocked up a level of 92dbc.

I’m just doing something to try and take my mind of the winter chill damn is that bathroom freezing cold, don’t want to get caught in there stark necked while listening to JBL.

JBL 4645
    The need for separate amplification of the x10 JBL Control 1, surrounds may go ahead at some point in time as the sides are in dire need for individual EQ as well to reduce peaks in along the sidewalls and rear wall.

I’m presently testing out the right sidewall array one at time at the listening position and some tones with sine wave (all-channels track 7, via the set-up and calibration test disc dts) in the following order at the listening position.

Rear sidewall surround +3.5db
    Middle sidewall surround -4db
    Far end sidewall surround 0db

No huge big deal for the right sidewall arrays.

Left sidewall arrays

Rear sidewall surround -11db
    Middle sidewall surround +6db
    Far end sidewall surround +9db

Whoa the left side is critical to correct as the rear one is closer to the door plus its fairly open space behind it that needs a false wall fitted that may help increasing the strength.

There are other ways to cheat around this like sticking an L-pad on each speaker but it would mean sacrificing other portions of the frequency response rather than addressing it with EQ. There is an EQ for each surround left centre back and right, but that only addressing it as whole not independently.

Now while typing this and noticing while walking around the room while rear left plays only! I noticed at while sat at the computer my body increasing the level by +6db so bass traps might also be an answer at solving multitude of these common issues.

I’ll have a tinker around with some boxes that I have in store cupboard and place a few around and see what that does to give me some idea. Bass traps cost an arm and leg these days.

JBL 4645
    Okay the few empty Alesis RA300 boxes did sod all at present. But here’s strange one?

While moving towards the far right hand side I noticed an increase. Then looked placed a few boxes in corner sideways and it did sod all. Then looked at what I had in that space. I then moved the disused Eltax tower so I moved it out of the way and placed it along the side of the wall. Signal went up a tiny bit at the listening position.

Then placed it to the side of the other tower and the level went up by (+6db to +7db).

Now there is no telling what this has done to the other left sidewall arrays as I need to test each one out again and the right sidewall and no doubt the fronts.

Yes this can drive a normal person insane in matter of hours unless you’ve got a real tolerance for this.

This is one other reason the flush barrier wall must be built to strength up the front and prevent frequencies going behind the speaker and into corners and that comes at moderate price to build.

JBL 4645
    Okay I’ve taken the empty Alesis RA300 boxes and stacked them as seen and took reading on the SPL db metre that is placed at the listening position. The level as now increased further too 0db. I’ve managed this without EQ or other a few simple things that may look untidily, but if it works don’t knock it.

I’d have test out the other speakers’ now to see what mess I’ve made LOL.

So it a baffle wall may go ahead soon as it’s been delayed for quite some time now.

JBL 4645
    Left sidewall
    Middle side JBL has now gone up +3db
    Far left side JBL has shot up by +3db

It’s enough to drive you spare.

Thread Information