Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema

JBL 4645
    One other thing I’ve been looking at to give me some ideas on the perforation hole size is the grills on the JBL control 5.

Obviously I need to have perforation holes smaller than each one on the grill, which looks to be around 1.5 2mm diameter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm reminded of the scene in full metal Jacket when they catch the Female sniper and want to deliver some pay back......the camera pans in for a closeup and in english she begs "Kill Me"....Kill Me".

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I'm reminded of the scene in full metal Jacket when they catch the Female sniper and want to deliver some pay back......the camera pans in for a closeup and in english she begs "Kill Me"....Kill Me".
    Yeah I’ve seen it 5 or 8 times on VHS in the past.

JBL 4645
    Received some screen samples to compare with and I have to say the micro is more best suited.

I placed the normal perforated screen and micro screen at distance where JBL speakers, I could instantly see the differences between the two the normal stood out over 8 feet away and that’s too near. About 15 feet away it starts becoming less noticeable or transparent, so around 20 feet away your hardly going to notice it.

The micro screen was spot on at 8 feet away the holes look like (0.5 or less mm) the normal one looks like 0.7 or just a bit larger. The holes on the normal are also spaced out and guess that is what gives it away in small room.

If I had to use non-perforated screen and use a micro as template to drill micro holes with hobby drill it would take weeks.

I like the smell of the plastic between the three types.

Also rubbing my fingers or sliding them along the surface produces different frequencies.

I’ll have to try later on some sound tests with the normal over micro while hanging it in front of the centre channel and pass a few sine wave tones or pink noise see what the db ratio sound loss is.

Also been phoning around at another supplier that the chap suggested try Screenline which is an Italian make.

I’m waiting some figures on screen cost just the material I don’t want no manual/automatic screen retraction system just the screen.

JBL 4645
    Non-Perforated screen

JBL 4645
    Noarmal-Perforated screen

JBL 4645
    Micro-Perforated screen

There seems to be slight weight difference with the micro-screen it seems heavier over the normal-perforated screen the non-perforated screen is somewhere in-between the normal and micro screen.

JBL 4645
    Only £100, 00 pounds outstanding should have this around May.

Base platform contraction around late May
    Baffle wall construction around June

Screen material pending on supplier that can provide an affordable rate for perforated screen/micro. If the push comes to the shove I’ll explore plan C.

Ashley,

do you plan something like the AlloSphere
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...387#post247387
    ... "constructed of perforated aluminum that are designed to be optically opaque and acoustically transparent"?
    Do you know something about the ratio covered area / hole area of your micro-perforated screen?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Ashley,

do you plan something like the AlloSphere
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...387#post247387
    ... "constructed of perforated aluminum that are designed to be optically opaque and acoustically transparent"?
    Do you know something about the ratio covered area / hole area of your micro-perforated screen?

The ratio size of the hole!? It’s about the diameter of small pin hole, tiny its not like the regular perforations holes on cinema screen.

JBL 4645
    Here are two videos and the sound to ECM8000 is not rocket science it’s a bit muffled and needs perfecting to get a near closeness to what I hear in the room or near about, but this is miles off. There is difference in the loudness between the 303Hz -0.1db and -12db 12db octave that I applied to reduce the harshness in the mid range that drives me up the wall.

The control 5 sounds twice the size now with near to fuller bass mid and less mid range loudness. The HF end is sweet enough without bending the ear.

JBL control 5 only non-sync music HP filter 303Hz -12db part1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLAEq_ZoXA&feature=channel

JBL control 5 only non-sync music HP filter 303Hz -12db part2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRVfsVnqPY&feature=channel

I think I need an EQ patched in-between the MIC100 and the computer and flatten the frequency response as well as gain increase to capture a clear in-room sound.

JBL 4645
    My close friend just dropped his ole Panasonic TX-32PK1 widescreen (CRT) along with his young son and very youngest daughter. She was shy about stocking Sooty who ran for cover as he is an extremely shy cat.

The ole Panasonic has slighter clearer edge over the SONY CRT 4:3 that he dropped off on Boxing day last year.

Only problem now is recollecting the sound LCR matching JBL control 5 as they are now in new position that didn’t take long to find some magazines and flipping the other loudspeakers AWIA on their sides so I can the height near to that of the matching centre channel!

I can not wait until I start knocking up the stage platform around late May the very least early June.

I’m presently testing out image with the new original STAR TREK feature films and I trilled to bits with STAR TREK the motion picture in its original (1979) six-track Dolby stereo form and not that abomination director’s edition, if anyone cares to really listen you know what I’m talking about.

I’ll give it very thorough and detailed examination with A B and C sound comparison in the JBL movie sound thread later on.

The SONY CRT is now placed in the bedroom so Sooty, and watch DVD at night time.

Only one last item to get and that’s the LCD video projector which will be around May.

One other thing, the Panasonic is placed fairly close to the diy JBL 4645 and I’m surprised the it didn’t go (total discolour).

I also need the remote that will be dropped off later.

JBL 4645
    Just placed another payment down on the Hitachi LCD only £90 pounds left now should be able to get in another 12 ½ days. I’d need to get a sodden long S-video lead for it a damn long one too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Just placed another payment down on the Hitachi LCD only £90 pounds left now should be able to get in another 12 ½ days. I’d need to get a sodden long S-video lead for it a damn long one too.
    Could you possibly get a better source other than S-Video? I've seen it used in relation to a computer desktop to the projector, and it looked absolutely horrible. It was dim, and lacked any definition. Try using a better source.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Could you possibly get a better source other than S-Video? I've seen it used in relation to a computer desktop to the projector, and it looked absolutely horrible. It was dim, and lacked any definition. Try using a better source.
    I could work around the RGB from the scart to video projector I’d need a different type of lead or use composite but its drawbacks are artefacts on the edges of the colour.

Thread Information