Thread: JSE Speakers

JSE Speakers

Just got these JSE Infinite Slope speakers. The Infinite Slope refers to the crossovers. Cabinet construction is fantastic, as the sound. Anybody heard of JSE?

Name:  P1010014.jpg
Views: 14666
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  P1010013.jpg
Views: 10366
Size:  108.7 KB

There is speculation elsewhere that they are still in business under this name: http://www.josephaudio.com/JosephAud...eph_Audio.html

Cabinets do look nice but that internal network wiring has got to be somebody's home-brew, right? Too bad about the smashed tweet.

I was guessing the plastic casters were another add-on until I saw this photo here: http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com/invspkrs.htm

More info and more links in this recently closed auction on Epay: http://ebayitem.com/300360779499
    including a story detailing the JSE/Joseph Audio connection: http://www.soundstage.com/tteii03.htm

These look interesting, too:

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Little background on the home brew xover guy I just found:

Richard Modafferi , inventor and independent consultant to AudioClassics, has established himself as one of the world's foremost authorities on tuner & loudspeaker design and development. He holds Masters degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the NJ Institute of Technology. A Senior Engineer at McIntosh Laboratories from 1968-74, he designed the MR77 and MR78 tuners and the famous "Rimo" filter. The MR78 tuner has received world wide acclaim for its State of the Art performance. From 1974 to the present, Richard has been a self employed inventor at Modafferi Acoustical Systems, Inc. He has been granted a United States patent for Phase Shift Bass Loading and for the Infinite Slope Crossover. Richard also serves as a writer, reviewer and test lab for Audio, Audio Critic, and The Sensible Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    Little background on the home brew xover guy I just found:
    That may refer to what those speakers originally had but that rat's nest just doesn't look like a production network to me. But, as usual, what do I know? :dont-know

Still an interesting find. Glad you like the sound!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Bad picture of the XO with an old camera. Just got these from a mid 30's guy from a local craigslist ad. Said a deadbeat room mate left them years ago, along with a Nak cassette deck, NAD pre amp tuner, NAD CD, Hafler 280 amp, Boegram turntable. All sound great, even the weird little cartridge on the B&O TT! Doubt he changed the xover. Kinda get a feel after removing a woofer for the first time after 23 years, ya know?

These little guys are so cool. The rear panel feels like polished plexiglass, the fit with the wood is seemless, with a lifetime warranty sticker and serious looking connectors. Very heavy also. And those noepreen casters have SS hardware! Anybody know any more on the Slope XO's?

Name:  P1010015.jpg
Views: 9984
Size:  107.1 KB

John Sollecito Engineering... another tidbit.

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/Biopage-1.html

The other links are interesting to compare in regard to how
    marketing, egos, and business owners combine to produce
    history "perspectives."

Hey, Guys,

Some of the designs in the photos remind me of the old SpeakerLab stuff, designed by Mila Nestorovic. (I think that was his name) BUT, the crossovers used in those old SL offerings were far more complicated than what I've seen so far in this thread. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hey,

I know this thread is a little old but I just came across it and wanted to chime in. I Have a pair of the infinite Slope Model 1 speakers As see in the first pic. I love these speakers!!! I just recently replaced the speakers with their modern equivalents (as per John Sollecito) and they really do sound good. I just found a set of the Model 1.8A speakers which are similar to the Model 1 except that they have two woofers. I am so excited to go pick them up. I just wanted to share my story and if anyone needs info on which drivers John recommended as replacements I can post them up .
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
    Hey,

I know this thread is a little old but I just came across it and wanted to chime in. I Have a pair of the infinite Slope Model 1 speakers As see in the first pic. I love these speakers!!! I just recently replaced the speakers with their modern equivalents (as per John Sollecito) and they really do sound good. I just found a set of the Model 1.8A speakers which are similar to the Model 1 except that they have two woofers. I am so excited to go pick them up. I just wanted to share my story and if anyone needs info on which drivers John recommended as replacements I can post them up .
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    So is the crossover pictured the "factory" one?

Yes, That crossover looks similar to the one in mine. Mad scientist looking!!!

JSE 1.8A Replacement Driver Information

Quote Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
    Hey,

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I have a pair of JSE 1.8A's I purchased in 1990. I LOVE them, however the years have taken their toll and the tweeters and woofers are not working. I assume since JS Engineering is no longer in business that the lifetime warranty may not still be enforce. I would be interested in finding out what comparable modern replacement drivers John recommends so I might try to restore the JSE1.8A to at least the original quality, better if possible.

Thanks,

Robert W. Yarbrough
    Mesquite, Texas

Biamping JSE 2A's

Hello,

I recently dusted off my long neglected sound system (bought in late 80's), which includes JSE 2A's. They are like the 4 speaker rosewood one's in the discussions below, but mine are a light oak finish. Spent last weekend re-foaming the 12" woofers and just hooked them up to my Luxman C-05 preamp and B&K ST-140 mono amps. I forgot how sweet this combo sounded.

Now, I'm in the process of trying to biamp the JSE's with the B&K mono's driving the top and mids, and adding an SAE A501 for the bottom end). I am hooking up a dbx 223 active crossover. I have 2 questions:

Question #1
    There are 2 sets of speaker posts on each speaker. On each speaker there is a red sticker, just above one set of terminals. As this will likely affect my hook up, I wondering if anyone knows the significance these red dots?

Question #2
    I recall that the last time I tried bi-amping these speakers I used a 25 watt 8 ohm resistor to bridge 2 of the speaker contacts, on each speaker. I think I was following instructions from the JSE manual, which I have misplaced. Does anyone know what terminals the resistor gets attached to?

Information on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Update on Biamping JSE 2A's

Here's what i found out (answers in italics) about my previous 2 questions - after finding my JSE 2A manual (It was in a safe place).

Question #1
    There are 2 sets of speaker posts on each speaker. On each speaker there is a red sticker, just above one set of terminals. As this will likely affect my hook up, I wondering if anyone knows the significance these red dots?

The red dot marks the top terminal (tweeters/high end) and the unmarked terminals are for the two bass drivers.

Question #2
    I recall that the last time I tried bi-amping these speakers I used a 25 watt 8 ohm resistor to bridge 2 of the speaker contacts, on each speaker. I think I was following instructions from the JSE manual, which I have misplaced. Does anyone know what terminals the resistor gets attached to?

I recall now that JSE was kind enough to send me the resistors when I informed them I wanted to biamp. These were applied between the positive and negative posts of top terminal, marked by the aforementioned red dot.

I hope I have not inconvenienced anyone who may have put some thought into this. I should also mention that the JSE manual states that "An external electronic crossover is not needed for biamplification", given the insertion of a 12 ohm resistor, and given "amplifiers with similar input impedances". But I've tried this set up with a resistor, and thought that the system could sound better with an active x-over.

Therefore, I am still proceeding to experiment with the dbx 233. My very preliminary listening session tells me I will like this new set up. The bass seems to be tighter and more present throughout the lower frequencies. Voices, such as Jennifer Warnes on Famous Blue Raincoat, seems to have a realistic richness of depth that I did not hear before. But these are very preliminary impressions. I need a lot more listening time to draw any conclusions. I would appreciate any other thoughts from other JSE owners on this set up. That's it for now.

Update: Biamping JSE 2A's using dbx 233 (with 2 B&K ST-140's and SAE A501)

This is a 5 month update: This biamp set up with the dbx is the best. I'm really enjoying listing to discrete voices, instruments and clear and awesome low end, from the SAE A501. Best of all I can make subtle adjustments to lows, mids and highs in very effectively (not like tone controls). I will never sell these JSE's.

Thread Information