Small but perfectly formed.

The new JBL home cinema

After trying two rooms for the JBL home cinema I found the one with the longest length to be a troublesome type and so I have settled on a smaller room.

One was the (chimney breast) that stuck out mid way in the room, by (18” depth) by (61” width), so I decided to abandon the room with the 15 foot length and go with a more easier room that will still need a few basic modifications done to it.

Flooring

I plan to make a secondary floor for the (JBL home cinema) to help with vibrations from LCR surrounds, sub bass extension and LFE.1.

Bass is fairly neutral due to the concrete flooring I guess, less (boom), just a natural sounding tone, unlike the last place, where it was a bit bass heavy at the back.

What you see here is only temporarily, this will nether be placed at the back of room around summertime, when I have the budget to buy a few professional 19” racks, Samson, studio racks.

Room’s dimensions are

Length 11 feet10”

Width 10 feet 9”

Height 7 feet 7”

Yeah that’s small and I plan to shorten the height by has much as (2 ½ inches) with (2x2 timbre) and (15mm MDF or other) for the top part of the flooring. It shouldn’t cost no more than £80.00 the MDF will be the costly part of the material but not as much as the timbre beams as I only need around 6 or 7 spaced out evenly, over its length.

JBL control 1 fall in stand to attention!

Here’s my surround arsenal of battle troops ready to provide all the trills and spills on the surround channels.

JBL control 5 I must say sound better in a room with concrete flooring, this helps to eliminate rattles and buzzing sounds! Not to mention sub bass and LFE.1 frequencies.

Its kinder difficult to get a wide angle of the front because of the field of depth, the camera can only see what it can see, I can get very tight angles, but the sides are cropped off a bit.

Rubber matting

Now this would be great to place underneath the (timbre beams) or more rather the timber beams placed on top to add a little extra isolation.

Door

Door to the JBL home cinema room, will hath to be switched around to opened in the opposite direction, due to the raised flooring.

Platform

Horizontal platform for the front loudspeakers LCR will be placed 1” above the TV monitor and angled downwards, the length of the platform will extend the room’s width, depth of the platform will be the same as the JBL 4645 sub 18” to keep it flush.

Surrounds?

That is the question, what am I to do with 10 JBL control 1, now I can still place these on the sidewalls and rear wall and a few on the ceiling. I’m thinking I can set:

x2 for sidewall
x2 for centre back surround
x4 for height surround when available

And that’s pushing it, not quite to the original plan as I hoped and planed for, which was x16 I think?

Anyway all this, will be done over the course of the summertime no rush and there is a slim budget, as I have to mange other priorities that kinder remain on the top, but there will be a slow transformation.

Window

There’s only one in the JBL home cinema that will be blocked up with two layers of MDF cut to size. First off I’ll place a window blind in front, to give the illusion on the outside that I have the blinds closed for privacy, which isn’t far from the truth.

First layer of MDF will have a small bit of timber placed around the outside, then attached to the (window frame) securely. Next I’ll place a thin layer of (rock wool) inside it securely. Last off the second layer of MDF will be screwed to the other piece. This should reduce the traffic noise, as too what sound pressure level I have no data on this as for now, I’ll hath to wait until I get around to doing it.

I’ll take RTA readings with SPL db level metre, for a few hours note the average and the install the frame, after which I can take more readings and see if there’s been a reduced noise level, as the traffic around here is noisy during the night. Also there’s an airport nearby, Hurn international, with a few jets taking off and approaching as well.

The roof, now there’s nothing I can do about the roof, I think its (sound) so there’s no need to look that, unless I can hear (heavy rainfall) but since I’ve been here, I haven’t noticed it, with the past rainfall.

Additional absorption DIY

(Bass tarps) is out of the question, by the time I’ve stuck those in the room, I won’t have room to swing a cat around! So adsorption panels placed on the wall surfaces will suffice to add further adsorption.

(Rock wool) will be used for the panels, a soft layer placed onto a thin layer of MDF along with a (colourful fabric) for cosmetic appearance.

Interior decorative lighting system

Neon lighting will be the theme a basic red green and blue placed around the room in a hoarse shoe configuration that will be concealed near to the ceilings curve.

This will have a computerized controller when turned on will cycle though a sequence, on delay, dimming one colour and fading in the next colour, and so on.

12 volt neon is the simplest, the same type that is used for cars.

I don’t even have a seat to sit on, I’m sat here typing, sat on a JBL HT-1F and two pillows and my backside fills buggered LOL!