Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klipsch La Scala & Concept 16.5

Klipsch La Scala & Concept 16.5

I know I am going to get a rasher of **** for this but I have been running this combo for a few days and I have to say (Although I hate Klipsch) that it sounds pretty darn good. It sounds as good or better than some of the big JBL I know.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Why do you hate Klipsch? PWK made some amazingly good speakers using some pretty basic parts... if he had been using JBL or Altec drivers, it'd be hard to say how far he might have taken them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE View Post
    It sounds as good or better than some of the big JBL I know.
    Surely, you are not now saying I was RIGHT about those all along....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Why do you hate Klipsch? PWK made some amazingly good speakers using some pretty basic parts... if he had been using JBL or Altec drivers, it'd be hard to say how far he might have taken them.

Widget
    Since the 70s I have always found them to harsh to listen too. I had a freind with some Cornwalls and even Mac tubes couldnt smooth those out. I bought a set of Heresys to try and did not care for them. I thought the La Scala's would be all the bad things about the Heresys times 10. I am surprised at how good these sound with a BIG receiver
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Surely, you are not now saying I was RIGHT about those all along....

Of course not!
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I have spent some time with the La Scala II's and i have to agree with you. They are amazing speakers. Fully on par with equally priced JBL (the Array1400 here in Norway)

Wich one would i choose? Thats a tough one. No clear winner yet.

Both are incredibly good speakers.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

The La Scala II is supposed to be a much improved version. I have not heard them. I did have a pair of original La Scalas for a year or so and while I got a kick out of them, there was no way in hell I could listen to them as a primary system.

Coincidentally, I picked up a pair of Klipschorns over the weekend... I'll be giving them a whirl in the near future. It'll be interesting to see how long they last before hitting ebay. I've heard quite a few in brief encounters over the years, but I have never actually lived with a pair.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The La Scala II is supposed to be a much improved version. I have not heard them. I did have a pair of original La Scalas for a year or so and while I got a kick out of them, there was no way in hell I could listen to them as a primary system.

Coincidentally, I picked up a pair of Klipschorns over the weekend... I'll be giving them a whirl in the near future. It'll be interesting to see how long they last before hitting ebay. I've heard quite a few in brief encounters over the years, but I have never actually lived with a pair.

Widget
    Widget

HATED those honky Klipschorns in the 70s. Then being powered by Marantz and blaring Aerosmith at 2 loud volumes.

Bad band, bad combo and too much grass. Perhaps your encounter will be better.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I have spent some time with the La Scala II's and i have to agree with you. They are amazing speakers. Fully on par with equally priced JBL (the Array1400 here in Norway)

Wich one would i choose? Thats a tough one. No clear winner yet.

Both are incredibly good speakers.

-Tim
    The Klipsch are good but do have definite "placement" issues, They have a real limited sweet spot as where JBL sounds good all over the room.....IMHO!

I sold the Concept 16.5 to a friend and I already regret that
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Yes i agree on your observation about placement. The sweetspot is not that big. I don't think that JBL sounds good all over the room, but deffinitly better

Did anyone get to see the new Paladium series at CES ?

However i find them quite easy to place in the room. My L65's are by far more difficult to fint optimum placement for.

Btw, We are currently using Marantz SC-7 s1 and MA-9 s1's to power the LaScala II's. Source is an Electrocompaniet EMP-1 multiplayer.

Anyway. My K2 clones are going to blow the Klipsch away ........I hope.

Maron Horonzakz
    WIDGET.... The first thing to do with the Klipschorn is to throw out the drivers and horn... Replace with Smith horn and large 2441 driver or TAD driver... I did that 30 years ago never looked back.. Tha bass horn is the only thing worth saving...the first Smith horn i auditioned was back in the early 50,s it also was the time Paul Klipsch heard the Smith horn..It was at george Ashworth,s home the scientist that helped Paul on woofer compliance problems....That was the famous Paul vs george split....George kicked paul out of the house on that horn argument.. But they both stayed friends and exchanged many brass knuckle mid horn battles.

Maron Horonzakz
    Widget.....I know own that huge Smith horn a part of early history.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    WIDGET.... The first thing to do with the Klipschorn is to throw out the drivers and horn...
    Those do tend to be the most common mods. I finally had a few free minutes and set up the K-horns in my living room... I rather like the mids and top. Sure I could nit pick at them all day long, but it's the lack of deep bass and the murky lower mids that trouble me the most.

I also have a pair of time aligned mini monitors sitting in front of the mighty K-horns... absolutely no bass, but a coherency and image that the mighty Ks will never know.

All that said, I can understand the folks over on the Klipsch forum who are quite pleased with their rather ancient speakers.

Widget

Hi Widget.

Is it the old K-horns you are testing, or the newer 2006 edition?

-Tim

Circa 1970.

Widget

Thread Information