Thread: what amp with JBL XPL200a

what amp with JBL XPL200a

I have a pair of these wonders and I am looking for some amplifier suggestions....

I'd remove the crossover bars and use two different amps. Use a tube amp for the highs (50w max) and a beefy transistor (300-500w) for the lows. Can you help us out and tell us your budget ballpark ?

jblnut

I am open...I know, that the active crossover is the best, but I can not get the DX1 anywhere...I have 40w tube integrated.

Does the integrated tube amp have a pre-out so that you could continue to use it for the high-end? Can you tell us more about that tube amp and what you're after? What do you like about your current amp? What do you not like ? What are you hoping to accomplish by changing amps ?

jblnut

Thank you for your reply!
    I was reading a lot about the 200a and their need to be active crossed and bi-amped. I can hear that I can get very good mid-high and high spectrum, but the lower mid is lacking...also I can hear the 4 drivers and not very seamless presentation...There is something on these speakers, which I like ,so I am looking to get the best out of them. My amplifier is Mactone and it does not have the pre outs...but I still want to use it for the high/mids in bi-amp configuration. Any thoughts?

Which Mactone are you using ? If there are no pre-outs, getting a preamp level signal to another amp for the bass could be a challenge. One thing I can tell you about the larger 4-ways is that you don't want to sit too close. If you get within about 8 ft of them you start to notice the individual drivers more. What is your room config like and how close are you sitting to them now ?

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by prcinka View Post
    I am open...I know, that the active crossover is the best, but I can not get the DX1 anywhere...I have 40w tube integrated.

When you pull the BUSS bars off, the internal x-over is still active, this just separates the two on the board. LF/HF passive. Dual input allows you to bi-wire or bi-amp.
    Jeff-S1A

Thanks.
    I am interested in the combinations with other then JBL dx1 crossovers and amplifiers from users of these speakers....Any out-there? I did move them back and it seems better integrated, but still no competition for my Altec Santiago...

Hello prcinka

I used an M552 active crossover for quite a while. It is a generic 24db L/R adjustable active. They sounded fine. I was using Crown 150 Series 2's amps with them at that time. I changed to a Crown PS-200 and PS-400 in that set-up and these sound good as well.

My XPL's are wanabees but they use all the same drivers and crossovers. I would expect similar results.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information