Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royalties..how dey work ?????

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    In the oldie days a songwriter would try to get the attention of a publisher. The publisher would in turn ...
    thanx for that David, I'm slowly understanding the topic more on each post.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Labels to get, count them, 0.13 cents per play on Apple iRadio
    on first reading I mistakenly thought the artist made 13 one hundredths of a cent per play ...re-reading I see that it's the label that makes that $00.0013 and takes their cut before the artist receives his/their $00.0003 or so ?

geeze, that's even less than a mil. (1/20th of a cent)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

In answer to my own question

a very interesting graph

How Musicians Really Make Money in One Long Graph

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...-graph/249267/

things are changing since I first asked the question.

Can the music industry survive the streaming revolution?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/music...ng-revolution/

SiriusXM Settles Royalty Dispute Over Old Recordings

Streaming Music is Ripping You Off
    Fight back with this simple hack

https://medium.com/cuepoint/streamin...f-61dc501e7f94

Why Donald Trump Should Have Gotten Song Permission from The Rolling Stones (But Not Queen)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ld-have-914367

Why Donald Trump Should Have Gotten Song Permission from The Rolling Stones (But Not Queen)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ld-have-914367
    Good luck with that
    Hilarious, and to think it wasn't that long ago that Payola was the problem
    Don't you just love the digital age?

Political conventions are private events. The solution to all of this much ado about nothing is simple
    Just buy legitimately (as in actually pay MSRP cash money for it and be sure to save your receipt ) an Lp, a cassette or a CD copy of the music you want to play and then play it for the enjoyment of your guests at your private party (let Barron Trump spin it up on his own personal sound system) I am pretty sure his Daddy could buy him one that was suitable for the venue

If the approved and credentialed electronic media representatives, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, FOX PBS et cetera then choose to let it be heard during their broadcasts of the private party coverage, for ratings and profit, then they can be the ones with the legal problems like poor old Alan Freed and Dick Clark

If you'll notice, the youtubers who post their coverages of these events will always play canned music over the top of these well known intro and outro songs and bumper music to avoid this nonsense, yet if you watch a major network's coverage of the same event on youtube the songs actually used will be heard

Too funny

When the Republicans wrapped up their party with "You Can't Always Get What You Want" I felt the same way I did when the "Sopranos" ended by going to a black screen after 8 years

It was just too cool and pretty damn clever you'll have to admit regardless of your political leanings

30 plus years into the digital music thing and they still haven't figured it out in a way that makes everyone happy, or in a way to deal with the hypocrisy of some

The Who and their ever present warhorses selling everything from "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" to Cadillacs? Yeah, no Republicans or Donald Trump fans ever watch THOSE shows and more than that, everyone KNOWS that no self respecting Republican would be caught dead in a Cadillac!

Or drinks Pepsi, or buys Apple products, or drinks Bud-it's nauseatingly ridiculous, these "stands" and "statements" being made

Oh yeah, that's it, that's the ticket, they paid 'em a lot of money
    And that makes it "all good"?

I LOVE IT!

I doubt, in fact I'd bet my life on it, that anyone who tuned in to watch the Republican National Convention television broadcast did so because they knew in advance, or even gave two seconds thought to what songs they were going to play, or, whether anyone got paid or benefited from them in any way financially.

It's just too too funny

Artists should be paid for their work, period. I despise streaming and down loading and am probably one of the world's leading proponents of physical media, but this is ridiculous. And I believe that royalties should be properly paid when due, period

But you can't put something out there in the world on recordings for the public to purchase and listen to at home as well as to be broadcast over the many electronic mediums if all of the financial and legal requirements have been met in a FREE SOCIETY but then pick and choose who you're going to allow to like it, love it or even just play it at their party.........well, I guess you could but does that mean that Rock and Roll, just to use the example, was only intended to be enjoyed by a certain group or class of people? And who makes that distinction?

Besides, I thought it was all about "the message"? Maybe some of those evil folks might have a change of heart if only they could hear some old '60s burnout's words of enlightenment?

On the other hand, maybe I don't want some of the crap and filth floating around the airwaves nowadays being played over my electronics when it catches me off guard, so who can I sue?

These copyright rules and laws are all about protecting artists' financially and I am all for it, but when ideologies start to creep in, as for controlling it, disguised in claiming the guise of "fair play fair pay"?
    Not so good, not so good at all. At least not if you want this to remain the freest nation on Earth

I don't think any of these artists or bands, like Springsteen for example, will ever be a proponent of a litmus test to buy any of his work at retail, do you? But who knows the way this world is going?
    I just have always thought that that was the whole point of art, to make people happy and even more importantly to make them think and just maybe change minds

Talk about hypocrisy, narcissism and a pot calling the kettle black. If any of the music played at either or any of these sort of conventions will be the deciding factor in how and who people vote for then we've got a much more serious problem on our hands than some sort of vague, vanity driven copyright infringement violation

Joe

54 years later, you still have to pay to use Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b0b1df34cf07

Paul McCartney Sues Sony Over Beatles Music

Musician files suits to "confirm his ownership" of dozens of Beatles songs

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-music-w461731

maybe SW kinda saw that one coming ?

so anyone really know ?

is it everytime your tune is played somewhere , you get paid ? how much ?
    if one you wrote is rerecorded/covered ?
    if McCartney plays a Beatle song in concert , but MJ owns the catalog, does he pay ? $ ?

idle minds need to know..........

Why It’s Misleading to Say ‘Apple Music Pays Twice as Much Per Stream as Spotify’

https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...fy-1234953590/

Thread Information